Does soundclick cheapen your brand?

Geez Exclusivo, you are talking in circles. Let me see if I can make sense of it.

I love it when people put words in my mouth.

I never said it wasn't about profit. I said branding IS BUSINESS. The very basic principle of business is to make a profit.

Oh, ok. So we are on the same page, now.
Remember your cattle branding point? You literally said "You don't have to make money to brand something."

When I said "you don't need to be making money to brand" is true. You can be in debt as a business, you still need to brand for you to even have a message. These producers don't need to be making money to have a brand.

Oh! Ok.
So, so you dont need profit, again. Ok.

The first question about business not being for profit is irrelevant - you either misunderstood what I said, or you're purposefully putting words in my mouth. In every circumstance, any enterprise is looking to profit. Either through monetary means, social, etc.

Ok! We are back on the same page, again.

Now you're asking the question of what is a marketable product, essentially. Can you tell me that?
I am not asking, or telling, what is marketable.
Im arguing in favor quality, skill, experience, knowledge, etc- before marketing. You know, knowing wtf you are doing.
To even be debating that point is surreal.

Why isn't the business model of selling beats for cheap marketable, exactly? How do you know by selling such a small time product doesn't lead to bigger things? You don't know the very business model these producers might have. They may see it as stepping stone... They might just surprise you.

Do you realise some companies purposefully sell a product they can't make money on, to try and push units of another product in their portfolio? It's called loss-leading.

I sort of already explained this point;
Consumers dont want to see a brand 'grow'. That is against the concept of what a brand is. A brand is easily identifiable. It has a distinct definable identity. Its purpose is not to evolve or grow. If you are 'starting out' and are branding sub-par product with your brand, the future of the brand is being handicapped by the old lesser product. Thats not arguable. Check your 4Ps...

Anyway, this isnt widgets we are talking about. My point here applies much more so to an 'art' brand.

Furthermore, can I just point something out to you... The very essence of setting a price for your product IS BRANDING.

Ok? I agree. I dont need that 'pointed out'. Did I imply I disagreed with that?
I wouldnt use the word 'essence', but it is a big part of a brand, sure.

You're selling music right? You have a brand. Arguing against that is very, very foolish.
Me? No, I am not really selling music. Any 'brand' I may seem to have is completely non-manufactured. It is a product only of the culmination of all the other things I am arguing for over marketing. Zero consideration is given to profit.
But, were I, then yes I spose arguing against it would be foolish. But that is not the case.

It's fantastic you're taking the original argument down the path to the way the market is. That's not branding per se, that's marketing. Branding is very much a smaller element to it all, and I won't be discussing the broader aspects of marketing...

Ok?

Only because I can imagine you'll have some form of anti-capitalist rant hidden inside about marketing which will argue against the very principles of how the world turns no matter who you are.

??
Anti-capitalist? I guess, from a completely warped view, that might be what it looks like.
A call for quality in a craft implies "anti-capitalist" in some people's minds. Wow.

I probably won't be replying to your next reply...

Why?
Because you lost the plot of my points?
Because you are somehow convinced I dont understand you?

How about this- I wont be replying to your next reply. I will not even read it.

I suggest you read up on the 4Ps of marketing. And Dear God, before you say marketing isn't important to a business... It's probably the most important function

Wtf..?
Its as if you havent really read my posts. This shit is surreal.
Understand: I get what you are saying. You do not get what I am saying.
We both understand marketing, we just disagree on its place in the heirarchy of being a musician.

i.e., You see music as business and-

before you say marketing isn't important to a business... It's probably the most important function
"the most important"
While I have a viewpoint that maybe appears naive in comparison, in that I think quality is the foundation. It is the first requirement.

Wearing the clothes you wear... Guess what? BRANDING. Also, you're wearing those clothes for a profit. Not a monetary profit, but an advantage of style over someone else, or whatever your reasoning is. Cause it's fair trade clothing, whatever...

Ok, enough back peddling on the definition or requirement of 'profit'.

Anyway, when I post a blog post on the 4Ps, I'll make sure to leave a link... And you can read it then.
Geeez, youre serious arent you?

Ok, this is where are disagreement actually is;

I thought we were talking about producers who were ready to enter the marketplace, hence the topic of branding ever came up.

Well, the thread was about branding, in general.
I believe my first post literally was just "Cart, horse".
Which I explained means that MOST of the people that ask this question, and participate in these threads, are many years away from being in a place where it would be smart for them to spend time on branding. That is definitely not to say that no one should worry about it.
That is basically my entire point in this thread. Cart, horse. Quality, marketing.

Marketing is more important than the product. If you have a product, on it's own - it won't sell.

Im glad you summed it up this way. This is the core of what we disagree on, although it was not my inital point of being in this thread;

Your quote, taken out of context, should be seen as a critique of current trends. But, you actually support the trends that are pushing music to be as you describe, and urge others to do the same.
It is absolutely ridiculous. Music = business. Songs = widgets, and who cares about quality if it sells.

Aaaaand, Ive said my piece. Unsubbing. :)
Party on.

Back