Do you sample 90's music?

mark1234

Do you sample 90's music? '00 music?

I always had that rule my sample had to be released before 1990...

Not really. I don't like sampling sequenced music. Meaning something that wasn't played live. I like sequenced music though. I tend to keep it in the 50s, 60s, and 70s like most in the 90s did. I used to sample a lot of 80s music though when I started out caught hate for it too.

My range is 70-80. Don't like that distinct 50's, 60's sound. But then again, 9th sampled a R.Kelly joint for Threat. The song was 3 years old at the time.

I got into RIO (Rock In Opposition) music and the late 80s avant garde and classical scene recently so yes. Not everything became sequenced after the 80s, there is a lot of stuff worth finding out about.

i tend to stay away from anything made after 1988, but i do sample '90s stuff sometimes. i don't like how digital everything after around 1983 started to sound, with the rise of synthesizers and drum machines. i like sampling more organic stuff. i'll sample something modern if it sounds vintage though.

For this song:

Stoupe sampled:

Or for this:

he sampled:

If its unknown enough do it.

I guess it depends on the specific songs. Like others have said, I hate music that was made from drum machines and synths, so Im usually in the 70's.

I think it really depends on what your sampling and how your sampling it. For me, I don't really mess with 90's music cus the way they did their drums and bass lines are so close to the way we do ours now that they cain't B covered up but if I find a track that has a nice ambience without drums and/or a bass line I still might jack it. Now, if there's a track that I REALLY have to sample and its developed beyond the point of being able to directly sample I'll jus interpole the track. Matter a fact I jus did that with a Brian McKnight track

lets face it. a cold man in a dark place will sample anything. what if there was a nuclear apocalypse and the only thing left was you, a gasoline powered mpc, and the final vinyl.

great thoughts everybody

yeah, i'm gonna stick to records released before 1990.

i sample 80's music a lot. i love the 80's synthesizers and drummachines.
In the 80's synths sounded so rich and warm compared to what you hear in hiphop beats nowadays.

If i sample a 80's record with a drummachine beat in it.
i usually go with real drummachine-kits to and make the drums even phatter.

Not really. I don't like sampling sequenced music. Meaning something that wasn't played live. I like sequenced music though. I tend to keep it in the 50s, 60s, and 70s like most in the 90s did. I used to sample a lot of 80s music though when I started out caught hate for it too.

Radiohead.

It doesn't matter which year it was made, as long as I can hear somethin' I can arrange I'll chop it up.

it comes down to genres, for example there are tons of dope jazz records made in the 90's, same as Xab said as long live instruments are played there is dope shit to sample.

Not usually. I don't like to go beyond 1979 for the most part, but I will, and with great vigor, snatch up and sample any hip hop or soul singles with acappellas because that shit is golden.

If i could i would sample from the 90's but i find it really hard.. They just aren't my type of samples.

Back