Do you ever chop up a sample without knowing how your gonna flip it?

RobC

Alot of times I will hear a part of a song that I think sounds dope and I figure maybe I can mess with it. Even though I have no idea what I will do with it I still take the time to chop it up (and since Im new to the MPC it takes me a while maybe 10 - 20). And sometimes I cant get anything out of it, and I just wasted like 30 minutes for anything.

Do you guys ever do this, or does this ever happen to you? Should I not chop the sample up unless I have some idea of what to do?

yeah thats what i usually do. hear a nice sounding loop or some one shots and just chop them. then if i cant come up with anything within like 30 mins or something, i just come back to the chops in a day or two. i usually end up making a beat with all my chopped samples, but sometimes i dont ..

I have done it before, but i don't usually do it. if i do it it will most likely just be a one shot or something. it can be pretty difficult to blend the sounds if theyre in different keys etc.

I do this also... it's annoying sometimes. Very rarely I hear how the chops will play in my head. I just chop and play around until I find something I like and if I can't get anything I'll go try soething else for a while and come back to those another time.

I do this. When I have an idea of how I will flip it its usually a bit rough. Like, OK it'll sort of a down temp sad joint, or a fast one with intense drums etc... But alot of times I do what the sample wants. Sometimes I will be chopping something up getting certain sounds, then be like "oh ish, if I do (blank) like this it would be dope"

I didn't make very many beats, but that is pretty much how I did all of the beats I made. Usually I'd hear something I liked and get some idea of what I wanted to do with it but by time I got it chopped up how I wanted it I would forget what I originally wanted to do or would think of something different. So then I'd just play around with the different chops until something worked.

Everytime I chop a sample I have no idea how it's gonna turn out. Every once in a while I have it roughly drawn out in my head how I want it to sound, but usually just let my ears tell me "this is a dope chop" or "this is bad" and try to come up with something from messing around. I think it often takes the fun out of it when you already have everything planned out

I never know exactly what I'm going to do with a sample. That's might by why I always sample something I would loop, so if I can't chop it and I really want to use it, I have a back up plan. Sometimes I here a part of a song and try to chop it up, end up with nothing, then I listen to more of the song and find something I that can work there.

If I like the song, I'll just loop it and listen to it until I get an idea of what I'm gonna do. If I don't get an idea of where I want to go with it, I'll just chop it at parts I like, or put some drums on it and start chopping based on the patterns I come up with (by this time I'm getting restless and start thinking of other samples). Last I'll probably chop the sample up semi-randomly, reverse it (if I was dealing with a sample with low drums) or I'll just chop it up and try to get back to it later.

I usually just chop my sample and just play around with it until it sounds good. i like chopping it to small bits and like 1 bar loops of the same section to try out both and use them together.

Alot of times I'll hear something and be like "I gotta sample that!" so I'll load the track up....and realize, this song is cool...but how am I gunna flip it? So what I'll do is start at the beginning of the song, and cut out whatever in the song I think sounds good. Whether it is a 1-2 bar loop, one shot/hit, whatever...Then usually by the time I have all these cuts, I'll figure something out. It can be time consuming that way, but after listening to the song, then listening to all the chops repeatedly while doing the chopping...Something just clicks, and like I said by the time I'm done...I have already figured something out in my head and now have a direction to take the beat

yup when i find a sample i just start choppin and while im choppin usually an idea comes to my head. of not then i just start fckin around with the chops and see what i come up with

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cut up as many chops and sounds as I possibly can and just mess around with it, play with the transitions. Sometimes if there's a phrase I'll make sure I add it in, other than that it just sparks.

I rarely go chopping with a specific idea, I usually go ahead with the sample and experiment with all different chops...

Back