DO NOT BUY the BEAT THANG VIRTUAL

Wow, well, what about the OP? lol He dam sure can't make no beats lol

On the contrary, I have the MPC and guess what? I HAVE NO BUGS TO FIX AND MY NOTE REPEAT WORKS HELLAVA GREAT! lol The sounds that I put in the MPC comes out great!

On the real, I know what those cats did, hey props to them and if they make dough cool, but have your joint ready and working.

All they did was take the Ensoniq ASR and MPC and slap them together and come up with Beat Thang! They took the Time Sequencer window and everything inside the window of the MPC slapped it with the pads of the ASR and some of the look and wallah! there you have it.

wuo6za.jpg

1zgewt0.jpg

Why would I leave my sturdy and trusty MPC for that Thang? LOL I hope they do get it together so guys that did buy it would be able to make beats.

Oh on that note you can get your money back on a 14 day notice.

2zeb1c6.jpg

So when you buy something read the fine print. The OP was saying he wanted his money back, well there you have it.

had a mpc1000 for awhile myself (and started many moons ago with my own ASR-10 ) ;)

tho i wonder if the OP has gotten his money back or not yet, that sucks if not so and they should address that

reading back, i saw he did mention v1.1 ...its 1.4 on pc now i believe dont know if its the same on both. 1.0 hardly ran on my pc lol, i hated it and didnt touch it for awhile til the updates.. still some bugs but runs good enough to do some stuff with it at least, so i gave it an honest try and its alright. it COULD be great, if done the right way. but i do think it should have been worked on a bit longer before release

had a mpc1000 for awhile myself (and started many moons ago with my own ASR-10 ) ;)

tho i wonder if the OP has gotten his money back or not yet, that sucks if not so and they should address that

reading back, i saw he did mention v1.1 ...its 1.4 on pc now i believe dont know if its the same on both. 1.0 hardly ran on my pc lol, i hated it and didnt touch it for awhile til the updates.. still some bugs but runs good enough to do some stuff with it at least, so i gave it an honest try and its alright. it COULD be great, if done the right way. but i do think it should have been worked on a bit longer before release

Well don't know if he got his money back but he could of, I know he stated he wanted his money back, so if the didn't then it's on his own fault because they do give you a 14 day money back guarantee.

Exactly, they should of tested it first before they put it out like that. I don't need it not trying it don't want it.

Oh so you're an ASR head huh? LOL Yeah my first drum machine was this :

6yf9rn.jpg

Boss Dr. 5.

It was hard to sequence, but I got it though. It has pianos, horns, bass, timpanis, bells etc on it but the pads are small lol But when I seen that MPC 60 and 3000 I was in luv!

lol Man when they came out with the MPC2000, I was able to buy it I got that joint. When I first made a beat on it, it was so easy, way easier than the Dr. 5. Then I was like "why the window don't flip up like the others?" Then they came out with the MPC2000xl and I was in love man I got that joint and have the same one ever since 2002. My MPC2000xl has to break down in order for me to GET ANOTHER ONE! I will go and get another one, I don't like the other MPC's I just love the MPC2000xl. I am so fond of Akai I even got the Akai MPK 88 midi controller. THAT ISH RULE! :cheers:

Last edited:
Well don't know if he got his money back but he could of, I know he stated he wanted his money back, so if the didn't then it's on his own fault because they do give you a 14 day money back guarantee.

Exactly, they should of tested it first before they put it out like that. I don't need it not trying it don't want it.

Oh so you're an ASR head huh? LOL Yeah my first drum machine was this :

6yf9rn.jpg

Boss Dr. 5. it was hard to sequence, but I got it though. It has pianos, horns, bass, timpanis, bells etc on it but the pads are small lol But when I seen that MPC 60 and 3000 I was in luv! lol Man when they came out with the MPC2000, I was able to buy it I got that joint, but then I was like "why the window don't flip up like the others?" Then they came out with the MPC2000xl and I was in love man I got that joint and have the same one ever since 2002. My MPC2000xl has to break down in order for me to GET ANOTHER ONE! I will go and get another one, I don't like the other MPC's I just love the MPC2000xl.:cheers:

haha nice i that DR5 a loooong time ago myself, it was one of the couple things i was learning on lol

i would say JJ OS saved my mpc1000 though... if i had to keep losing tracks to Akais OS i would have sold it long ago, and if anything get a bigger joint like the 2500 or 2000xl even lol. its tough to beat that workflow off those machines once your used to it though i fly on them

haha nice i that DR5 a loooong time ago myself, it was one of the couple things i was learning on lol

i would say JJ OS saved my mpc1000 though... if i had to keep losing tracks to Akais OS i would have sold it long ago, and if anything get a bigger joint like the 2500 or 2000xl even lol. its tough to beat that workflow off those machines once your used to it though i fly on them

Dang bro lol hahahaha are you my like musical brother or something? lol dang you had that too? lolh ahahahahah oh snap lol That is weird like f*** lol

I aint going to lie, I had to stick a fork in both sides of my neck and drop a gavel on my knees in order not to buy that 2500. That ish is so sexy lol Man when they came out with the 5000 man I almost peed in my pants lol I was shaking in seizures lol hahahaa ctfu it was calling me lol I dashed away from Guitar Center in a hurry lol I was saying to myself "those motha f***as keeping me on digital drugs" lol lmao

But my work flow is so dangerous on the MPC, I can make a beat in 3 minutes. Have done it, I know that MPC2000xl in and out. I told a dude it even has automation he was like "Rah are you crazy dam MPC don't have no automation", so I showed him and he looked like this:

buckwheat.jpg

LOL LMAO

PS the MPC's has THE BEST DAM SEQUENCERS IN THE WORLD! NOTHING CAN COMPARE TO THEM, NOTHING!

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-25-2010 at 11:09 PM ----------

If you ask me the poster might would of done better with getting Maschine, I am no fan of NI products but reading this it may have been more stable.

2yx3kwo.jpg

This is what they partially say:

The MASCHINE hardware is both instrument and high-resolution controller in one. Sixteen illuminated, velocity-sensitive pads form an interface to intuitively make beats, tweak sounds, create patterns and sequence whole songs with the powerful MASCHINE software. Two large, high-resolution displays with eight corresponding rotary knobs, buttons, and transport controls integrate perfectly with the MASCHINE software, with the super-high resolution encoders delivering an unmistakably analog feel.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/

Last edited:
I have sampla for sale right now

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

sampla is for sale

if anyone is interested in what can be done with the Thang, heres my submissions for their contest... but instead of just beats i submitted full songs made with it done in my studio with my artists and clients

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpr0F0Cd4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36h_6haB9yg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK1t9yE25OE

and another one i made awhile back and put out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UjGtAjr6bw

i don't know if that was supposed to impress people, but im sure this will scare potential buyers of BTV off

Anything that has "added value" attached to it is usually lacking something that needs to be covered up via free offers and marketing. Flashy graphics, name dropping and all that jazz.

Make a straightforward product that does the NECESSARY things well, and make it stable and well supported and people will flock to it. No point in having a 5 page list of functions if a lot of them don't work, or are half assed because you promised more than you could deliver on release date.

I seriously think companies would do a lot better if they only promised some basic functions on release, got them up and running rock solid, and kept the full functions list in house. Then they are free to add features with updates and patches, they could also profit from some of this via updates if they keep the original price and upgrade prices reasonable.

And really, what's the point of having an image of a physical product as your interface for a virtual one? They are two totally different things. Pads and keys are velocity sensitive (in most cases), so they make sense on a physical product to be big and fit the average hand, but do you need a giant pad on your screen when the cursor is only a few pixels in size? Why not just a small button? I don't really care if the specular highlight on the knob is properly reflecting the environment with reflections and color bleed. I want a product that ****ing works and gets my needs met.

Anyway, that's my rant. I like Ableton Live!, it's minimal on the graphics, does what I need it to.

This thing needs Orkin to sort out all these bugs, wish they would just sell the sounds separately

i don't know if that was supposed to impress people, but im sure this will scare potential buyers of BTV off

well, i've impressed quite a few people with it and made some good money at the same time lol

its not the only tool i use, but it is one i still mess with and there is still plenty potential in it, even where it sits now

they do need to hire more programmers though, get rid of some of these bugs still popping up time to time and get in a few extra features, speed the updating process up a little bit because it is going slow

having it available as a VST plugin does help open things up a bit... i think a lack of Loop Points (not just start and end of a whole wav) is what hurts it a little bit right now... that alone would help turn this into a little more of a serious sound design tool

"Why is BANG a compressor, that doesnt make sense. HOW DO COMPRESSORS BANG??? Thats like calling the on button the off button."

lmfao this killed me. What a fantastic argument. xD

This thing needs Orkin to sort out all these bugs, wish they would just sell the sounds separately
Saint Joe posted a great video recently about pulling the proprietary sound library. Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/user/SoundsAndGear#p/u/1/1-_5cAoqfNQ
There are a lot of bugs still. I bought it more as a sound library, and there are some really nice kits from that perspective. I have machine and Battery and those will remain as my main drum instruments, so this is the approach I took to it..

Saint Joe posted a great video recently about pulling the proprietary sound library. Here is a link: Chaîne de SoundsAndGear - YouTube
There are a lot of bugs still. I bought it more as a sound library, and there are some really nice kits from that perspective. I have machine and Battery and those will remain as my main drum instruments, so this is the approach I took to it..

That program looks pretty powerful, but is somewhat pricey for my needs. i'm going to try and use HighLife (freeware) if possible. Only problem is sometimes the results clip, and also BTV crashes in every DAW I've ever used, so I don't know if it would even run in HighLife

Most things that are especifically catered to the hip hop crowd turn out to be garbage.

A few examples. The old Roland hip hop module for the JV/XV modules were completely trash. I don't think I have ever hear worse sounds in a professional module. The dance/techno expansions had better drums sounds and a lot of useful synth sounds. In the software side of thing, the Plugsound line of instrument from Universal Sound Bank has a hip hop vsti. While that hip hop vsti is not as bad as the Roland module, it wasn't great either. The Plugsound percussion vsti has a ton more useable drum sounds without the crappy synths.

For being an older module, the planet phatt from e-mu was decent, but the sounds are way played out by today's standard.

Even when you have sound libraries that are not specific to hip hop, the hip hop sounds end up being crap. It's not as bad with more recent modules and sound sets, but I'd still be careful before making a purchase.

The Beat thang

y'all are actually wondering how a piece of software called Beat Thang could be a piece of crap???

The only thing good about the beat thang is the samples. It crashes so frequently that i wont dare use it in my work flow. I would love to but it's a cheap toy. the software sucks major weenie. if u rewind it crashes if u try to program a beat in your DAW it crashes I used to wonder why they always showed it running on a seperate laptop all by itself this is why .........please just release the samples in a format we can all use with our Pro software pieces like Maschine or BPM or Guru cuz it's whacked out

I've had the Beat Thang for sometime and it works fine for me. I've actually incorporated in my Logic Pro 9 setup. You can use it as a AU Plugin. I love the sounds too, nothing like it.

Back