Do most hiphop producers set there bpm to 100 - 180

It depends really on your style. For example, I normally stay between 85-105 BPM, but some people use a double-time style and will set their BPM to say 180. This can be equal to 90 BPM the way the notes are spaced out. Some people feel more comfortable doing it this way. One of my friends uses this method.

It depends really on your style. For example, I normally stay between 85-105 BPM, but some people use a double-time style and will set their BPM to say 180. This can be equal to 90 BPM the way the notes are spaced out. Some people feel more comfortable doing it this way. One of my friends uses this method.

AbsurdNY is right, but when you do the double time, it still equals the 1/2 time equivalent (does that make sense?), so someone who uses double time at 180 BPM, will in the end have a 90 BPM track.

I would say Hip Hop for the most part is between 70-100 BPM. I usually have my tracks around the 80-95 mark.

ONE

Last edited:
Dre and Timbaland use anywhere between 70 and 100.

Double time and time and a half can actually be useful in a track, just knowing math to convert back to your original tempo, and you can do some pretty tricky hi hat, snare, or kick rolls.

These have to be accomodated by other variables, like double time needs to have twice as many steps, instead of 16, you need 32. time and a half is the same, you need 24 steps.

This can help out when doing a 90 bpm track and using a 135 bpm snare and hi hat track with your other instruments.

Just make sure you make the 24 steps into forths, (if you're using 4/4 ts, which i assume you are), instead of 4 steps a beat, its 6. In double time, there are 8 steps a beat. If you dare step to triple, well, you're dealing with 48 total steps, and 12 steps a quarter note ( a beat = 1/4 in a 4/4 ts arrangement).

So in triple time, a 90 bpm track is 270 bpm with 48 steps. The time is takes your 90 bpm track to get through a beat ( quarter note, 1/4) of 4 notes, it takes the tripled track @ 270 bpm the same time to get through 12 steps, giving you three times the amount of samples to trigger in the same space.

You can also just go into thirds on the sequencer, but its easier with full steps.

If you have questions, drop me a line.

I don't think I've gone below 75.. and only used 75 once.

I stay between 80-120 .. and double time at 170-180

My take on it is this:

Anything you want slower than 75 BPM, it is best to compose in half time around 136-140 BPM or thereabouts.

Anything you make at 115 BPM straight up or faster is bordering on some other genre.

Last edited:
It def depends on the beat. Like everyone has said...70-120 (give or take a few BPMs). It really depends on the feel of the track. Anything below 60 might be too slow and anything in the 130s might be some extreme workout music.

anything...you...want

it took too many comments to get to a GOOD ANSER! thank you LP.
I'm sorry man,but asking for a tempo is the wrong thing to do. just use tap tempo,let your heart speak, Don't let commonalities censor your creativity.

Depends on the place you from or the style u prefer

Im from Texas so I usually stay in the 78 range sometimes dipping to 72 or 74...... I sometimes push higher into the 80s. Very rarely do i get above the 90s.... As somebody said sometimes I deal in Double time and go 140 - 160

Honestly, I've dropped down to 58.xxx once, and as high (in normal tempo) as 125 or 135.

I sample a lot so it depends on the sample and where I want to go. normally I start in the mid 80's and work around it.

It just depends on what you want.

Hip-Hop is normally 70-110 BPM:

80-100 BPM is the green zone.
70-80 BPM/100-110 BPM is the orange zone.
under 70 BPM/above 110 is the red zone.
thats how i feel about it

Im usually between 70 - 100 too but its not something I focus on, just whatever sounds right

Lowest i'll go is around 65. I go to 70-75 quite frequently b/c I like that rhythm.
Highest i've been is around 131-135, b/c sometimes I like to rap on Baltimore Club-type beats.

There is no right or wrong, just get a feel what everyone else is using.

And if its not 83 BPM, I ain't playin that in my CLUB!!!!

Back