Do I need a Preamp and Compressor?

HotFieryTech

Hey Guys. Sorry if my post isn't the most informed, I'm kinda a noobie. ;) I want to know if I should buy a preamp and compressor for my home studio. Right now (audio-wise) I'm working with a Blue Microphones Bluebird and a TC Electronic Konnekt 6 mainly for vocals. I'm having problems when I record; I can't get the right gain (on the konnekt 6) and always have distortion in the recordings. I'm wondering if buying a preamp and/or compressor would help. Also, I'm not really sure what the point of a preamp is, so can someone fill me in? As for the preamp and compressor, my budget is preferably $500, $600 tops. Right now I have the Art Pro VLA II compressor and the Art Pro MPA II preamp in my Amazon cart. Are these good choices (if I need them)?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)
HotFieryTech

The vla2 is allright for a compressor but as far as a pre you should get the gap73. Way better. Hope this helps.

i have the exact same question so ill stay posted to see where this thread goes.

but my advice is to not checkout with that amazon cart until you get a lil more feedback with this

Do you usually record two things at a time? If not the Pre-73 is great.

Well I thought I could experiment with playing guitar and singing but I guess I don't need it. I will probably go with the GAP. As far as the compressor, what is your first choice for that price range?

I assume when you say you can't get the right gain, you mean it's too quiet?

An outboard preamp would certain be helpful, but if you can get your levels set right I don't think a compressor would be necessary (least not while you're tracking).

I assume when you say you can't get the right gain, you mean it's too quiet?

An outboard preamp would certain be helpful, but if you can get your levels set right I don't think a compressor would be necessary (least not while you're tracking).

Well I can't get a good gain level as in it's too quiet, so then I turn it up and it gets distorted sometimes, then I turn it back down but then it's too low to adjust in Logic. This is where I thought a compressor would be good because then I could turn the gain up loud but not get any distortion.

If u need gain dont get the goldenage pre cuz it ****s up when it reaches 45db.they descrubed it as wooliness at that level of gain

Back