Do I need a mixer at home?

Casbeatz

Producer/Engineer
I currently use a midi controller and fruity loops to make my beats. Would a mixer help me with anything as far as beat production goes? I know it would be nice for live shows, but is there any real use at home for creativity or anything like that?

A mixer is best used for recording vocals over making beats in FL, unless you're importing sounds from let's say a Motif. It gives you better control over the lows & highs and input & output gain. I have a mixer and a midi controller but never use my mixer in FL besides overall volume control for my monitors. But like P. Casso said about the faders....I use my midi controller for everything in FL, from the play/record buttons to the faders that control FL's mixer. So to answer your question....No. It really has no purpose as far as your creativity goes, but still nice to have for recording vocals.

A mixer is best used for recording vocals over making beats in FL, unless you're importing sounds from let's say a Motif. It gives you better control over the lows & highs and input & output gain.

It gives you hands-on control; not necessarily any better than a modern EQ plugin (which can have unlimited bands for example).

I don't think it's usefull if you work with a DAW. If you'd work with only a keyboard like a Motif it is, but in a DAW you can do most of the mixing with your hands or midi controller.

A mixer is best used for recording vocals over making beats in FL, unless you're importing sounds from let's say a Motif. It gives you better control over the lows & highs and input & output gain. I have a mixer and a midi controller but never use my mixer in FL besides overall volume control for my monitors. But like P. Casso said about the faders....I use my midi controller for everything in FL, from the play/record buttons to the faders that control FL's mixer. So to answer your question....No. It really has no purpose as far as your creativity goes, but still nice to have for recording vocals.

So if you do get a mixer and a mic how would you use them if you make beats on a DAW?

Last edited:
Back