Diary of Noobie Producer

Is it just me that is rooting for this kid?. Total original way to learn and get people on board. Big respect to him. Anything I can do to help you on your journey, don't hesitate to inbox me bro.

I don't want to discourage you in any ways, but I would say you are trying too hard.. As I mentioned in the start, I myself learned to make beats from scratch just experimenting with the software and getting better over time. (started with fruity loops)That was 5-6 years ago now.

My overall advice for you sir, is dont worry about maximizing your time efficiency for music in the summer. Just make beats when you have time, research when you time (in summer ofcourse, but stop forcing it into the timeframe) More likely you will get tired of it all by the end.

I am just trying to help you in the long run. It was mentioned that you will not become god over summer, and I liked that sentence because that is what SEEMS to be your goal. It isnt, I know, but by doing it this way it becomes like that :) Brother, just keep training and you WILL become mediocre at making beats after some time (u already improved a bit each time) and by that time you can come back and ask for feedback on each individual track.

1.make beats, make beats, enjoy yourself 2.become better 3.research some basics, watch some beat making tutorials 4.make more beats 5.take a break (do that for 4 months and see how you are doing by then) :rolleyes:

Good luck homie

Last edited:
here is my opinion...from not the greatest producer in the world, haha...but do not diss ur own track, even tho i couldnt hear it...all ur other work was fairly well. the best way to grow is with love, straight up...love what ur doing, and it will all work out. like many have stated before, step up ur sound game...this is my soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/yjvasco if u ever need advice on whatever, hit me up...check me out, i started making music years ago, and im still learning new things, not just beat wise, but lyrically as well. hope u check me out and most importantly i hope u get what im saying, keep at it...we all started from somewhere, and it takes time to learn different things, i watched alot of videos when i just started...sflogicninja on youtube showed me alot of great stuff, but then i just started teaching myself, with the basic knowledge i had to acquire...dont hesitate to ask for help, rooting for u man

I hear you guys. It's late.. I will reply to in the morning for now here is my beat.
Day 10 (beat)

https://soundcloud.com/tendo10/ninjahop-prod-tendo

---------- Post added 05-20-2013 at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-19-2013 at 03:59 AM ----------

I don't want to discourage you in any ways, but I would say you are trying too hard.. As I mentioned in the start, I myself learned to make beats from scratch just experimenting with the software and getting better over time. (started with fruity loops)That was 5-6 years ago now.

My overall advice for you sir, is dont worry about maximizing your time efficiency for music in the summer. Just make beats when you have time, research when you time (in summer ofcourse, but stop forcing it into the timeframe) More likely you will get tired of it all by the end.

1.make beats, make beats, enjoy yourself 2.become better 3.research some basics, watch some beat making tutorials 4.make more beats 5.take a break (do that for 4 months and see how you are doing by then) :rolleyes:

Good luck homie

I understand Where you are coming from and I know you are right, but the thing is, I am not good at self discipline. If i just let loose and just make beats I will never do anything. I have attempted to start many activities/hobbies in my life and failed at most because most of the activities required self discipline, they had no teacher or structured system.

The activities i did that did have structure ( notably competitive swimming) I excelled at because if i say skipped practice or half assed a workout I would have a coach to answer to. When I did things on my own ( basketball, video editing etc) I failed because I had no structure for those things. If i did not feel like it.. **** it. If my friends called up and said lets go out, I would just go. I did not have to account for messing up/ slacking etc. You guys are my coach. FP is my coach! Its summer time and I have a lot of free time. Large amounts of

unstructured free time + Benjah + = Wasted Time

Thats just how I am.

I know it's not the best way to go about learning and stuff but I hope it will get the ball rolling at least and then i can grow organically as you suggested.

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

=Day 11=

Decided I wanted to work on beat today instead of learning. I'm really feeling it and I'm trying to make sure i get it right.

Last edited:
Sounds good, I totally feel you on that one homie. I myself have not gotten anything done the past 5 years or so, because I didn't find anything of worth. I guess some people just.. I don't know.
I'm 21 years old, and at a point in life where nothing apart from music interests me, so at least I got one thing that I can do with passion.
That ninjahop beat is really dope btw.. Only things its missing is that kick, and its bumping! Try to read up on some "clearing up the mix" "Creating space in the mix for kicks".. if u got trouble with kicks getting drowned by the rest of the sounds.

Keep grinding homie

Last edited:
the bass may be a little too loud for my taste, turn it down a bit...i think the kick is lacking a tad bit of umph...and try giving the snares a little more reverb, at least the last half of each bar...i like it tho, sounds good, the little flute thing is awesome haha...and for ur issue on self discipline, and all from within urself...if u really enjoy it, ud want to learn, there are plenty of things that one cant coach, its all on u...coaches support more than u might think or no, push u to ur limits, but a real coach always has his or their teams back

Thanks,for the feedback. Both of you are DOPE as hell. I love the vibe on Kaleidoscope Flowers I will try and add you guys' suggestions and I'm going to learn about making space for the kicks tomorrow.

..== Day 12==..
Trying out some new sounds. I have a hard time picking out what you guys deem as " good sounds" so i guess that will come with experience but for now I can't hear what you guys hear, so there is not much I can do about it except pick sounds I think sound good :monkey:

Having fun! Here is todays beat :

https://soundcloud.com/tendo10/all-night-long

Last edited:
I Use Reason 5.0 and well I learned to play piano as a young child but i remember a lot less than I thought I would. Feels like starting over :/ . I only did up to Grade One tho. It's actually kinda sad how little i remember . Feels like a big waste lol.

I really don't remember much about chords but I get the general concept of them. (I think )

reason is a great software, i use logic tho, i have reason, but i grew into logic. ok, i like the kalimba or marimba sound, it gives it life...more vibrant as opposed to the main piano. the melody of the piano is good, but i dont think its as colorful as for what I THINK u were going for...im thinking maybe a light echo or a little reverb could give it more life, color or whatever u want to call it. and it sounds stiff, maybe dont quantize as much...my opinions tho, hope it helps, and if u want me to elaborate just holler haha

I Use Reason 5.0 and well I learned to play piano as a young child but i remember a lot less than I thought I would. Feels like starting over :/ . I only did up to Grade One tho. It's actually kinda sad how little i remember . Feels like a big waste lol.I really don't remember much about chords but I get the general concept of them. (I think )
Ok. I asked to see if I should suggest some simple chords to use for you.
As it seems to me your productions are a little "chord-less" in a way that I see a lot of newcomer producers/writers work are.
So let me suggest for you some simple chord progressions that you could use for one of your beats. If these are in reach of your knowledge already; my apologies.

Am-F-C-G and repeat from start to finish.
or
Am-G-F-F and repeat from start to finish.

Simple chord progressions that will add recognition to your beats (maybe too much recognition, the whole world uses them ;) )

Just give it a shot on one of your next beats.
I could give you a lot of feedback on the production(s) too if you want but for now - this.

I like your determination to learn production. Keep it up.
Best of luck

Last edited:
Both VERY VERY helpful. I really appreciate you guys going the extra mile and really giving me feedback and guiding me.

But also, I have been thinking lately and listening to my beats and reading through the thread and I realize that I really am ignoring everybody's advice to slow down and give my tracks more love.

I think I need to restructure my plan because i would agree that my tracks really are not getting enough love. Most of the time I finished upload them and drop straight to sleep . I read the reviews and feedback but I never get time to implement the things you guys tell me. Also I rarely spend time mixing.

With that being said, after going through this plan for coming up to two weeks, I think I need to more intelligently restructure it to allow myself to create something that is more like art rather than class assignments I have to submit.

I think the main framework of my plan works pretty well tho. Any suggestions on improvement?

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

..Day 13..

I did a lot of thinking about Life today. I felt a bit off. I was not to productive on the production side. I learned a bit about sampling. I think I will like sampling a lot. I get lots of ideas from the concept.

Last edited:
..Day 14..
bEAT:I f

okay, I felt like taking the bass out of this track. Not sure why but it felt right. Very excited about getting my Midi keyboard! I can't wait.

https://soundcloud.com/tendo10/almost-prod-tendo

---------- Post added 05-24-2013 at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-23-2013 at 04:43 AM ----------

Day 15 [ Learn].
Was very distracted today. I got some bad news. Anyway, I managed to learn a bit about the way drums should work and how to make them sound more human.

Last edited:
just checking up on ya :)

allow myself to create something that is more like art rather than class assignments I have to submit.
Now that's it.. You are definitly on the right track now homie! Music is also a form of expression mixed with art, so it all depends on how you are feeling. When making genuine music that is..

What's the deal with your lack of kicks tho? Except the "All Night Long" track where the kicks made me LOL (no offence, but they were suddenly there and way too loud for once) you either got the volume on the kicks turned way down or they are automatically turned down because of lack of space in the mix (since I'm guessing you DID put kicks in there)... I mean, the basics of any regular beat is the KICK and the SNARE, right? Then comes all the melodies/samples/bass watever in the background to create music.
I don't know what the problem is with that (I never got into working with reason, I started out with Fruity Loops way back, and now using Ableton which is great for working with samples btw) Not sure.. Can you hear that your beats are lacking kicks compared to other's beats? might be a Reason setting that messes it up during mixdown

Continue experimenting as you already doing, and when u feel like it try to research your deal with those kicks being audible in Reason.

Good luck and keep having fun with it ;)

Last edited:
yo check out that first beat...sounds actually pretty damn good for a beginner...keep at it. as for your plan i wouldnt set any dates just gain knowledge everyday and further your beats that way..i feel like once it get ona good track your not going to finish it one day....but mixing and eqing and all that will come as you progress on a good track..keep that in midn and goodluck ill be watching for updates homie..check mine out
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...k/electro-hip-hop-pretty-lights-style-444142/

Thanks a lot guys and I will look into the kick thing. I haddn't noticed until you said something. Although i remeber someone mentioning it before. It must have slipped my mind to research it.
Announcment in the Morning

that last beat u posted was nice...real clean but the drums are lacking a bit...u can tell that uve been working at it

Back