Dented Condenser Mic. PLEASE HELP!

Jack Wald

Hey everyone. I just got an MXL 990 condenser mic yesterday. Today, my mic stand tipped over, and the mic smashed into the metal frame of my bed. It put a decent sized dent into the front of the grill. I haven't noticed any effects on the sound, but is it possible it will? And also, is there any way to fix this? I tried taking it apart to push it out, but couldn't get to the inside of the grill. Any ideas?
MXL 990: MXL® Microphones - MXL 990 Condenser Microphone

I did a Google search and typed in "MXL 990 Grill mod". Came across a forum discussion. In it, it says that there's 3 layers to the grill. You could use small wire cutters to cut away the first 2 layers... but the innermost layer is soldered to the capsule. So.. it's not something you can easily switch out.

You could have to send to somebody who could repair it. I would honestly reach out to Mike Joly Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly and see what he can do.

See if it's something he could fix. Even consider modding it if you have a little cash.. it's said to be a drastic improvement. He does a shootout with a U87

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! by taking off the first 2 layers, do you mean to replace them? because id like to be able to just take it apart and push it back, if possible. unfortunately, i havent been able to get inside the grill because theres a metal plate in the way.

No... it sounds like they would be removed, not replaced. Apparently people do that as a quick mod to improve the sound a bit anyway.

Like I said... It sounds like you may not be able to do that very easily, depending on the construction. It's best to reach out to somebody who mods them regularly. Ask him if it's something you could easily do yourself... hopefully he's a stand up guy and gives an honest answer. I've heard good things about his work, so I doubt he'd lead you the wrong way.

Good suggestion CP... I was just at Michael Joly's place in August, and I saw hundreds(?) of replacement head-baskets, so if you can't order it through GC or something, MJ would be a logical place to start. Now, if you want your mike modded, that would definitely be the place to go. GJ

Thanks for the help everyone. I emailed Michael Joly, and he gave me instructions to fix it myself. It was super easy! Here's how, if anyone's curious

"* unscrew the knurled nut at the bottom of the mic* unscrew the body of the mic from the headbasket
* remove the two Philips screws on the underside of the headbasket - notice the two white nylon bushings, don't lose them.
* remove the headbasket from the capsule / frame assembly.
* push out the dent
* reassmble."

Back