DAWs with similar workflow to Reason (to rewire Reason)

i was once in your boat then i learned to like those other DAWS now i love Logic and rewire reason when needed, Logic is alot more hands on and user friendly then it looks just takes a few tutorials to get past the basics, then youll be back on your reason grind before you know it!

You may want to consider ultimately ditching Reason altogether if your current plan is going the Rewire route. Once a few vst/AUs are added, Rewiring is going to become a hassle that many people don't feel is worth the trouble for the sounds once they've filled out other options.

Add Komplete 8 to a DAW of choice and I'd doubt you'd miss any sounds in Reason or even in it's 3rd party refill/rack extension creators to the point it's worth the routing and saving involved with Rewiring.

I gotta disagree with this.

I tried to ditch Reason at one point and go all VSTs with Ableton Live. I came back to Reason (although now as an instrument rack rewired into Live).

You might not miss particular sounds from reason, but you will miss its ease of use, stacking, and sound design capabilities.

I don't get the people who say that rewire is too much of a "hassle" or whatever. If you take 10 minutes the first time you use it to set up a template default rack and a few presets for the EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT in Live, it couldn't be easier! I actually PREFER it to my VSTs.

I can't really help you too much, cuz I can't say that Live has a similar workflow to Reason, but it is a really really good DAW with ReWire integrated really easily, in my opinion.

^^^In all fairness, that's a workaround attitude. I can respect it, but let's not pretend even with templates Rewiring doesn't 100% factually take more steps than loading a vst/au instrument. There's different types of approaches to music, I never failed to understand why someone would choose to rewire, it's funny to me how people can pretend it's not an extra step that people can easily not wish to deal with. Something about Reason users(mind you, I'm a user myself)rather than seeing your perspective they get the idea you're not doing it right. It's Reason, not rocket science by far, lol.

It's as simple as just wanting to add an effect to 1 instrument in Rewire, or I can fix that and have everything already routed and as I get into making a song I choose not to use Reason and I'm forced to look at all these extra tracks because i already pre-routed in case I wanted to use an effect on one instrument in rewire. Or the headache of opening a song in my Daw, then having to open Reason, then having to open the Reason file that goes with the song vs. just having to open a song and everything being there.

I can just as easily give hinderences with using multiple outs from multitimbral instruments(they don't bother me, but I usnderstand why some people would rather just load 6 instances of sampletank than route 1 instance to 6 different midi channels, and that's a walk in the park compared to Rewiring.

I didn't make a decision for the guy, just a suggestion based not only on myself, but other's experiences from what I've seen. Trust me, I've been rewiring since Reason 3 FL Studio 4 Sonar 3. I know all the ins and outs and it can be very hindering to workflows, I'm not the only person to say so.

^^^ More steps, sure. But FASTER? Yeah...

Once I've opened Reason once, I don't have to wait for a new instance to load up every time I want a new instrument. Some of my VSTs take a good 10 seconds to load each time (some take like a full minute or more) and i'm running an i7 with 8 GB of ram. And that's just loading time, not even to mention CPU usage...

And adding FX to an individual reason instrument is super easy once you've set up your templates and presets (which you might call a "workaround"... but it only has to be done ONCE in your whole life and then saved, so who cares??)

I'm not trying to hate or start an e-beef... to each his own. I understand where your opinion is coming from, I just think maybe you don't know cuz 1) you're not using ableton live (in my opinion the easiest DAW for ReWire) and 2) you haven't planned ahead to set up the presets/templates in advance. Again, I'm not trying to call you ignorant or anything (I know how easily things can get misconstrued on the net), I'm just throwing my opinion out there.

Anyone know of any free video capture software? I might make a vid just to show how easy it really is... Or maybe I'll just use my cell phone to video my screen ghetto style hahaha.

^^^Exactly what I'm talking about. I just can't "know' and like another option. i gotta "not know" or somehow be missing something. I'm aware of how Rewire works in Ableton. It was one of the strong points ableton had while I was looking for a option recently. A long time friend of mine swears by Ableton and Reason. I've heard all of this.

The few things I've actually asked about on these boards referring to ableton were simple questions about techniques my friend doesn't impliment(He does choppy style sampling, I once asked how to timestretch, still couldn't find comfort in all the steps it takes to do that in Ableton vs. the 2 steps it takes in FL with Edison).

I could just easily challenge your claim that you have vsts that take a minute to load on an i7 or that your i7 shouldn't be straining on CPU unless you're doing something wrong or don't know how to do something. That's where we differ. I'm not shoving vsts down anyone's face, let alone someone who's well aware of how to use them from every angle. Try giving me some credit rather than assuming the only reason I don't like rewiring is that I'm doing something wrong.

100% Fact, I don't have 1 vst/au on my core2 duo imac 16gb ram that takes any longer to load than a multisampled patch in reason. Even before I maxed it out when it was a 4gb imac. So, More steps, sure, faster for me, absolutely not, because there's more steps. More efficient for me, absolutely not.

Something about reason users, lol. I've also been told I prefer ReDrum over Kong because I don't know how to use Kong. Nothing to do with the step sequencer that I'm aware I can route kong to, that doesn't mean I want to do anything other than use ReDrum.

Last edited:
^re-read the post homie. How many times in it did I say I wasn't trying to hate on your opinion or call you ignorant?? You're entitled to your opinion, but you aren't gonna change mine that you just aren't familiar with what I'm talking about. Oh your friend uses Live and Reason? Well unless your friend is me, he probably aint doing it the exact same way I am, so no you probably still don't know what I'm talking about. How could you? You never seen me work! Again, why I offered to make a video...

And I never said my CPU was strained... I just suggested that some other peoples' might be, which is one benefit to using Reason over VSTs. Please do challenge my loading time comment tho, cuz if there is something I'm doing wrong that would make it faster, I would LOVE to hear it. I'm here to learn first and foremost, so if you know something I don't that would make my life easier, please share.

^^^Exactly what I'm talking about. I just can't "know' and like another option. i gotta "not know" or somehow be missing something. I'm aware of how Rewire works in Ableton. It was one of the strong points ableton had while I was looking for a option recently. A long time friend of mine swears by Ableton and Reason. I've heard all of this.

The few things I've actually asked about on these boards referring to ableton were simple questions about techniques my friend doesn't impliment(He does choppy style sampling, I once asked how to timestretch, still couldn't find comfort in all the steps it takes to do that in Ableton vs. the 2 steps it takes in FL with Edison).

I could just easily challenge your claim that you have vsts that take a minute to load on an i7 or that your i7 shouldn't be straining on CPU unless you're doing something wrong or don't know how to do something. That's where we differ. I'm not shoving vsts down anyone's face, let alone someone who's well aware of how to use them from every angle. Try giving me some credit rather than assuming the only reason I don't like rewiring is that I'm doing something wrong.

100% Fact, I don't have 1 vst/au on my core2 duo imac 16gb ram that takes any longer to load than a multisampled patch in reason. Even before I maxed it out when it was a 4gb imac. So, More steps, sure, faster for me, absolutely not, because there's more steps. More efficient for me, absolutely not.

Something about reason users, lol. I've also been told I prefer ReDrum over Kong because I don't know how to use Kong. Nothing to do with the step sequencer that I'm aware I can route kong to, that doesn't mean I want to do anything other than use ReDrum.
that's forums though lol. People assume if you don't like something its because you don't know how to use it rather than just having different taste lol. Its cool with me that you dislike rewire doesn't bother me a bit and there are some reason instruments that I have not found vst equivelents that I like as much as Reason stuff.

^^^You see he still trying to tell me I can't know about rewiring into ableton HIS WAY, lol.

@worldwide As for the "challenging" I was explaining to you I wouldn't challenge because I don't know how your setup runs. The point is you're doing the total opposite "challenging" everything I know because I don't like working the way you do.

I'm not trying to tell you my way is best for you, but you're steadily trying to tell me I can't know your way and pass on it. Quit acting like Rewiring in Ableton takes any real skill. It's not like we discussing routing a room full of hardware. I'm the guy who made templates for mastering in Reason that tons of musicians rely on.

I just choose to use Reason standalone or not use it at all. With Reason 6 there's nothing I need to leave the program for unless I choose to leave the program altogether. Plenty of people start off in Ableton jumping from Reason on the Rewire bandwagon and slowly get VSTIs/AUs til they one day say...IT'S NOT WORTH THE HASSLE. Check this forum, find some of them to push your "better methods" on.

I'm starting to believe you're the same guy who tried to tell me I can't know how to use KONG right if I choose ReDrum over it?

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

that's forums though lol. People assume if you don't like something its because you don't know how to use it rather than just having different taste lol. Its cool with me that you dislike rewire doesn't bother me a bit and there are some reason instruments that I have not found vst equivelents that I like as much as Reason stuff.

And I will agree, Reason has it's own sound. I just don't agree it's worth Rewiring for it. Same time, Kontakt has a great sound to it. I'm not converting NKI files to run in NNXT either. I'm not that reliant on a sound. I respect the hustle of anyone who is, but if it was that real, I woulda made a Hypersonic 2 refill by now, I could build one in about 48 hours with amazing accuracy(I'd skip the synth sounds though).

Last edited:
^^^You see he still trying to tell me I can't know about rewiring into ableton HIS WAY, lol.

@worldwide As for the "challenging" I was explaining to you I wouldn't challenge because I don't know how your setup runs. The point is you're doing the total opposite "challenging" everything I know because I don't like working the way you do.

I'm not trying to tell you my way is best for you, but you're steadily trying to tell me I can't know your way and pass on it. Quit acting like Rewiring in Ableton takes any real skill. It's not like we discussing routing a room full of hardware. I'm the guy who made templates for mastering in Reason that tons of musicians rely on.

I just choose to use Reason standalone or not use it at all. With Reason 6 there's nothing I need to leave the program for unless I choose to leave the program altogether. Plenty of people start off in Ableton jumping from Reason on the Rewire bandwagon and slowly get VSTIs/AUs til they one day say...IT'S NOT WORTH THE HASSLE. Check this forum, find some of them to push your "better methods" on.

I'm starting to believe you're the same guy who tried to tell me I can't know how to use KONG right if I choose ReDrum over it?

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

And I will agree, Reason has it's own sound. I just don't agree it's worth Rewiring for it. Same time, Kontakt has a great sound to it. I'm not converting NKI files to run in NNXT either. I'm not that reliant on a sound. I respect the hustle of anyone who is, but if it was that real, I woulda made a Hypersonic 2 refill by now, I could build one in about 48 hours with amazing accuracy(I'd skip the synth sounds though).
exactly what one values someone else may not. I love Kong and cannot find a single drum machine that can do everything it does that I like nearly as much as Kong. Most see it as a Mpc clone and it can be but its the synth modules that I really love about it and the on board fx are great for drums. There are other things that do what it does but it takes several plug ins to get what I am looking for.

^^^While I have my own .wav drum libraries and like step sequencers for doing things like snare rolls and hats in 64ths at intricate times.

Irony is, I've unpacked a slew of drums from reason/refills that go with me from daw to daw along with tons of drums from FL.

I will agree if someone is looking for a good drumsynth with tons of FX, Kong would be one of the 1st things that come to mind.

I would've loved for ReDrum to be given more banks though. Only problem I find with it is you only get 10 cells and can't layer(something Kong does great, but I still prefer Redrum). Hell, I know guys who would tell us we're both crazy because they use the drumkits in the NNXT, lol.

Love Kong and like Redrum.
Combining them both sometimes is nice as well.
Usually use them seperate. Redrum to set up a sequenced bit and play around with the Kong for more variant drum paterns, that I play out myself.

uhhh.... yeah. I think I can safely say that you dont know how I work... BECAUSE IVE NEVER MET YOU! Why are you acting like that is so absurd?? There are a million different ways to do it, so unless you've seen me do it, I can safely say you dont know about MY SPECIFIC CHOICE OF METHODS.

"I cant believe this dude is gonna try to say I dont know what his house looks like... I know exactly what his house looks like"

And I never said it takes any skill. In fact, my point is the exact opposite - that its super easy.

And congrats by the way on being "the guy" who created the mastering template hahaha. I'm glad youre so e-proud of your e-self! I'll make sure to send you a congratulations e-card! YOURE AN FP CELEBRITY! I GET IT!!!! How dare I disagree with someone so important to the internet...

Last edited:
^^^You took it as a way bigger accomplishment than I.

Good for you. :cheers:

I doubt I'm famous anywhere. Wouldn't care either way.

Last edited:
hahaha oh ok now you're Mr. humble... five seconds ago you we're "THE guy" and you were dropping it into a convo where it had 0 relevance as evidence that you know everything about everything and thus I couldn't POSSIBLY be doing something that you don't know about.

Ironic...

hahaha oh ok now you're Mr. humble... five seconds ago you we're "THE guy" and you were dropping it into a convo where it had 0 relevance as evidence that you know everything about everything and thus I couldn't POSSIBLY be doing something that you don't know about.

Ironic...
How would programming a patch/template people use have "0 relevance" when explaining I'm fully aware of how to program a patch/template?

Never said I knew everything. For some reason you think you know me(alot easier to "know a program" than it is to put words in folk mouth and think you "know a person" over the net. You're the one pretending Live, Reason, and Rewire aren't programmable software with 100% factual limits to their capabilities. I'm speaking on their 100% factual functionality and my preference to look into other options because of them. You say "I can't know what you're doing" as if you can magically make 100% factual procedures to Rewire Reason into Live no longer exsist. You base the idea I can't "know the program like you" on the fact that I don't prefer to do what you prefer to do. I never once said you were wrong and I was right, neither of us can be anything when speaking on 'preference".

That's like me saying I don't prefer chocolate and you trying to convince me I can't know I don't like chocolate until I've tasted your recipe for it. As much as you may alter your recipe, it's still the basic foundation properties of chocolate, I can make a sound decision based on not liking these founding properties that I won't like your recipe any different than the 100s i've tried in the past not only from others trying to convince me as well, but from my own research as well.

But you know what, you're right if it makes you sleep better. You couldn't have been wrong from the beginning in a discussion about preference. But that's where we disagreed, you think I'm wrong about preference, lol. :cheers:

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

You guys know there is a PM function on the forum,right? Keeping personal quarrels private is always the way to go :D

in forum discussions, responses get replied to. I don't see how this "personal quarrel" isn't relevant to the thread or how it's damaging in any way. Save that for the guys up here ending discussions with "eat a dyck" and such. I don't see how a civilized discussion from 2 guys with a disagreement is hurting the board. :cheers:

Reason Standalone is more than enough. Reason used as a rewire into your Daw is bonus. All these Daws are tight imo. I love ableton, logic, PT, Cubase. But Studio One 2 is the best to me. Sometime I rewire reason into S1 and its awesome. Especially when you convert to audio and close reason for resource. The worlf of making music is beautiful these days. I use my live bass into both Daws and just create without a hitch.
Ableton Clip system is awesome btw. Logic has the best synths in the box. Reason is the most stable. I use Komplete and all these vsts are sweet.
Once you find a system that you can work in and around is the best feeling. Then you can just create. No complaints here. Choose your weapon. I prefer the Scar in MW3 btw....but the AK is beasty as well.

When I use reason I just use it stand alone. I use reason when I don't have an idea in my head. Still use 3.0. Still love it.

Last edited:
Back