Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Maschine

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Ableton Live

Votes: 17 14.9%

• Total voters

BizziMusic

Please answers any questions below:

1.) For ease of use, what's the best DAW and why?

2.) What DAW has the best aesthetics?

3.) For AUDIO tracking and editing, what is your favorite DAW and why?

4.) For MIDI tracking and editing, what is your favorite DAW and why?

5.) In your opinion, what is the best buy right now? What DAW has the most to offer right from the box?

6.) For your DAW of choice, what advantages does it have over have over competitors?

7.) What DAW sounds the best?

8.) What DAW is the most advanced with the most amount of options??

Let's hear your views!!!!

The only question that I think can be remotely answered is #5.
Out of all of the "major DAWs", Reaper is probably considered the best buy: at $60 for a license, an unlimited free trial period, and all of the features of a major DAW.. that's tough to beat. There are a few free ones that also have all of the fixins too. Audacity is one... there's a few more that I can't remember right now. Check em out on KVR: Virtual Instruments, Virtual Effects, VST Plugins, Audio Units (AU), AAX & RTAS Audio Plugin News, Reviews and Community - plus iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android Audio App News Too

In regards to the other questions, I don't really think you're going to get the answers you're looking for. People can come in and make suggestions, but it's based on an opinion that's going to be completely different from your experience. For instance... I use Presonus Studio One, and my it would be my answer for all of those lol. The best answer is to grab a couple of demo's and answer these for yourself, so you avoid all of the bias and can just get down to making music. It's all the same tools in the end, just different workflow/presentation. They all sound the same. It's all 0s and 1s.

1. Reason 6 is very easy for me to use. It's very visual, but simple. Devices actually look and act like hardware.

2. Reason has a perfect balance of simplicity, but no boundaries. Some DAW's, for me, either look too sleek or don't have enough.

3. For audio tracking and editing, I really liked Cubase 5. It's familiar. It's very straightforward. Pro Tools is great too and is now my main tracking and editing platform. Reason doesn't have what Pro Tools has as far as editing audio.

4.) For MIDI, it's Reason - hands down. Simple to look at and work with, but not limited. I personally don't use FL Studio simply because the piano roll is weird for me lol. I haven't used it much however. Cubase is okay, but i don't use the stock sounds much. Pro Tools is annoying. I use it and there are a lot of options, but the workflow is slower for me than Reason.

5. Tough, tough question. I think it really depends on what you want to do. For rap and dance, FL Studio is great. It sounds amazing and isn't expensive. If you want to record your band, I would say Pro Tools. Experimental music, Reason is perfect for. Cubase has a decent selection for out-of-the-box tools as well. For vocals, Cubase's editing and pitch correction is nice. Reason is good for that too, but you can't manually change individual notes as easy. Pro Tools 8 ( i haven't upgraded) doesn't have any pitch correction, but the free Melodyne works okay. FL and Reason have awesome vocoders.. Reason has good Line 6 amp models. Again, it depends on what YOU want.

6. I kinda answered this on number 5.

7. Pro Tools with the mbox 2 mini sounds better than my presonus firebox...

8. Reason has a lot of untapped potential.

Overall, i would say Reason is the best. Ease of use, looks clean, lots of options for any genre

I really just wanted to put as many things on there that i could think of. I know i left some stuff off the list, but i just did it off the top of the head.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

The poll is tied! Vote now and get your favorite in the lead!! Lol

1.) For ease of use, what's the best DAW and why? FL Studio or Reason. Very user friendly interfaces with not lots of options and flexibility. Kinda stupid proof.

2.) What DAW has the best aesthetics? Reason. Looks like a cartoon.

3.) For AUDIO tracking and editing, what is your favorite DAW and why? Logic and Live. Very proffesional and good warping and matching etc.

4.) For MIDI tracking and editing, what is your favorite DAW and why? Live. It's my go to for everything and I love the session mode/arrangement mode idea it works like a charm for me.

5.) In your opinion, what is the best buy right now? What DAW has the most to offer right from the box? Depends on what your making. Probably Reason.

6.) For your DAW of choice, what advantages does it have over have over competitors? Ableton Live. Flexible. Good vst/au support. Workflow A+++. Great support and community. Great tweakability and you can really get under the hood.

7.) What DAW sounds the best? They all sound the same. This question is stupid, in regards to audio quality it's pretty much going to be the same no matter what you are working in.

8.) What DAW is the most advanced with the most amount of options?? Ableton Live. Or Protools HD, if you are a studio technician or recording engineer. But Ableton Live is the best otherwise, if you don't mind sub par graphics and a learning curve like a brick wall. Once you understand how to use everything that comes with it(plus whatever plugins you have) it's frickin amazing, flexible, technical and awesome.

I primarily still sequence in hardware, but for me, the daw i use is cubase simply because i got the Ai/LE versions for free with equipment i purchased. I have tried trial or lite versions of Sonar and Live, but Cubase is my choice. If i was going to purchase a DAW to use for production, i think the best bet for the money would be Logic. It seems like the instruments you get are very good. I am used to Cubase so it is my go to, but the included instruments in Halion don't compare to Logic in my opinion. I think for the $499 with Logic, you are set with sequencing, sampling, and sounds. In Cubase, i would still need to add Komplete or something to it.

For strictly ease of use, I'd have to say FL Studio. I downloaded it and made my first track in under an hour. I feel as if it was made with beginners in mind. BUT now that I'm learning more and more about Ableton Live, it's making more sense to me than FL Studio did. And both are much easier than Cubase... that was a huge learning curve for me and I don't think I'll ever be going back!

Hm... I'm a fan of simplicity so Ableton Live wins hands down. Cubase was pretty simple, but not as aesthetically pleasing to me as Live. Most people would say FL Studio though, that does have a beautiful GUI... but like I said, simple and to the point is what I like!

I haven't done too much with Live or FL Studio with audio. I know Cubase is a beast in this department.

Ableton Live. Cubase is a close second. And FL Studio is a very close third. I can't explain why, because they all seem to be able to do what I want with MIDI. I just prefer Ableton's all-around workflow.

5.) In your opinion, what is the best buy right now? What DAW has the most to offer right from the box?
I've got the trial of Ableton Suite 8 and in my opinion, the included instruments are much better than the included FL Studio 10 and Cubase 5 instruments (can't speak for Cubase 6, haven't upgraded to that).

6.) For your DAW of choice, what advantages does it have over have over competitors?
Ableton Live has many advantages for live performance, which is what I'll eventually need. Plus being able to just improvise a song and get a rough track down is much quicker for me in Ableton Live.

They all sound the same to me. I believe that it's the better producer that'll get the better sound out of whatever DAW he uses.

I haven't dug too far into any of the 3 I've used, so I can't say.

Cubase. It's extremely logical, at least the basics are. Nothing complex can really simple so complex stuff is complex in any DAW.

That's a tough one. I used to really be impressed with the general look of Logic, but Pro Tools may have taken the crown. A lot of DAWs have a really slick look now. Honorable mentions would include Sonar and Samplitude but I'm gonna go with Pro Tools.

Cubase. It's got the very best and deepest audio editing tools of any DAW, by a wide margin.

Cubase. It has the best midi tools of any DAW by far. Like with audio, every DAW has some particular thing that is unique, but Cubase has overall the deepest set of tools for midi.

Cubase. It has incredible support for Yamaha gear, best midi tools, best audio tools, and a luxurious workflow that makes working with it easier. It also has Media Bay for which there is no comparison anywhere. Cubase is the only DAW I know that doesn't balk at any type of file you throw in it. Other DAWS don't support this or that, or won't allow mixing and matching of sampling rates, etc. Cubase does it all.

See Number 5. Almost everything really.

No idea. They all sound good I suppose and nothing digital sounds as good as analogue so...I guess the answer is really none.

Cubase all day long.

There is no best DAW out there. I prefer to use Sonar with Reason rewired and plug ins and I may get some hard synths as well. For me its more a matter of preference. I prefer Sonar for editing over everything else available. I like that Reason just offers so much under the hood. Its as deep or as simple as you want it to be. For things that are more difficult in Reason or for things that I prefer to go else where with I use plug ins. I like both program equally.

1.) For ease of use, what's the best DAW and why?.

I would say ease of use goes to maschine just because in compose all my beats in maschine then take over to logic for mixing and adding vocals to complete the tracks

In my opinion logic has a buitiful and elegant interface it's for professionals and for strait up creation its not that hard to learn but it can go so in depth if you where to master it it would take years

3.) For AUDIO tracking and editing, what is your favorite DAW and why? Logic and pro tools although I use logic cause time stretch it do fast do easy and flex editing is amazing

Al though I don't use it I would say reason the midi editing is so easy with it I just love the tool box

Reason loads of sounds and relitivly inexpensive that's of you making just beats if you making full songs logic express hands down some the best eqs compressors and reverbs all in one package

My daw of choice is logic and maschine both ease of use and I love some of logics synths easy to program maschine is just the best though **** I love it

They all sound the same except reaso which intentionally tries to emulate ask console but to be its a bit plasticy

Id say pro tools although I never use it

FL Studio 10 gives you the most user-friendly interface you can find. Compared to Ableton Live 8 and FL Studio 10, FL completely grabs the user friendly area.

Ableton Live gives you the sound you want, if you know how to use it right.

Audacity! Duh! Its made for these things bro! Audacity gets precision editing done. If your looking at editing while producing? FL Studio.

FL Studio.

I've heard value wise its Ableton, Pro Tools, or Logic Pro. FL's demo version comes with enough to cover, producer edition is slightly useless if you know what your doing.

FL Studio is (mostly) free for one thing, plus its very friendly to plugins/vst's. Massive is great for it, too.

DAW's don't sound anything, it depends the user.

Reason 4 just has so many damn modules, it would have to be it.

Wow...really surprised Reaper has not been mentioned nor is it on this list. I guess people are still sleeping on it...hmmm.

A lot of people sleep on any kind of freeware because its free. They assume it sucks or has no value. Sure you can buy Reaper but the fact that you do not have to puts it right into the catagory of Freeware. I personally don't love Reaper. I am also quite comfortable in Sonar and Reason.

A lot of people sleep on any kind of freeware because its free. They assume it sucks or has no value. Sure you can buy Reaper but the fact that you do not have to puts it right into the catagory of Freeware. I personally don't love Reaper. I am also quite comfortable in Sonar and Reason.

Never really tried Reaper, I am kind of in stick to one daw mode. Aside from cubase I may try logic only because the included instruments are supposed to be top notch. The halion sonic vst did not really speak to me so I am not sure I would be satisfied with cubase and no other sounds. I'm still chilling hardware with software to record to, buy I think either logic or cubase/komplete may be in my future, but the motif is still putting in work!

having used reaper for the last few months mostly on its own id definitely recommend it to people, i was using it only for recording alongside FL but eventually switched over. on the recording side i think its way faster, better and easier than FL but the midi side takes a bit of getting used to. reapers glue function is ideal for making loops if youre used to workin in the pattern mindset when coming from FL.

Back