Considering a keyboard/midi controller

timemass

I still have to learn how to play, so a keyboard with midi capabilities is what I would like. Ideally less than $300. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Novation, Akai & M-Audio are all worth a look - it's really down to preference which one feels the best (I'd suggest a trip to a music store to check 'em out).

I have been checking out a few in-store and online. I like Akai, but do they offer standalone keyboards, that make their own sound, can be hooked up to a keyboard amp?

Something like this Yamaha seems interesting: Yamaha NP-30 (first Google result for the product page)

I have been checking out a few in-store and online. I like Akai, but do they offer standalone keyboards, that make their own sound, can be hooked up to a keyboard amp?
Yes, they have one synth you can hook up to an amp. It is called Miniak. BTW, it is priced $279 on Amazon (instead of $700) now, so it fits your budget.

...but the Miniak hasn't got much to do with the controller series. It's a repackaged Alesis Micron (Numark owns Akai & Alesis); decent enough synth with a non-existant (physical) programming interface and nothing really special to offer amidst all the other cheapish VAs.

...but the Miniak hasn't got much to do with the controller series. It's a repackaged Alesis Micron (Numark owns Akai & Alesis); decent enough synth with a non-existant (physical) programming interface and nothing really special to offer amidst all the other cheapish VAs.
Well, ION engine doesn't have anything to do with "cheapish". I personally do not like the looks of AKAI (I'd rather consider micron or used ION), however ION offers nearly the best analogue emulation in the market and, trust me, I know a thing about synths. Here's a quote from its review on Create Digital Music:

There are filters galore on offer here, 20 different types in all, many
are nearly exact replicas of filters from Moog, ARP, Oberheim, and
Roland. Alesis has even modeled in the drift associated with analog
oscillators. Rudimentary FM capabilities allow you to create fairly
realistic pianos, organs, and bell tones, a real plus in a synth this
inexpensive. One thing unique to the Ion/Micron is being able to
access all of these different sounding filters in a single synth.
I don't know how you can apply a term "cheapish" to nearly exact replicas of filters from Moog, ARP, Oberheim. Isn't it something really special? (With ARP2600 and Moogs being one of the best synths ever designed.) Or excessive modulation matrix allowing to do things virtually impossible on other VAs, which are possible only on way more expensive (semi-)modular systems? Yes, I'm going deep in the details here (for a novice into the world of synths modulation matrix doesn't matter this much), however what I'm tipping at is that it is possible to create nearly all types of sounds at ION. Some more quotes:

If you haven't guessed by now, all-in-all, I think the Ion is a fantastic bargain. If I didn't know it was an analog modeling synth (geez, it's in big letters right on the box), I'd swear I was hearing a real analog synth, the sounds are so rich and buttery.
(Sweatwater)

Though not a true analog like the Andromeda A6, the Ion is capable of creating a wide variety of sounds from warm thick analog pads all the way to gritty monophonic leads and basses, as well as some funky and realistic sound effects. The Ion also simulates the best of the classic analogs such as Oberheims, Roland Jupiters, Arps, Moogs, etc, largely due to its great filters - there is hardly any aliasing even on the highest tones.
(Vintagesynth)

BTW, aliasing is the main reason that makes digital synths sound worse than analogue. Thus, once again, it just can not be said that micron is "a cheapish VA". Search for Alesis Ion | demo (1 of 2) by syntezatory.prv.pl on Youtube to see what this synth is capable of - if all cheapish virtual analogues sounded like that, I would buy quite a dozen ;)

PS: Also, my reply was nothing more than an answer to the question whether AKAI produces "keyboards, that make their own sounds". I think it was 100% correct in that sense. I wasn't saying that it was the best synth or anything, however now, after you started this debate, I feel like putting everything in its right place... Sorry if it went off-topic.

Last edited:
The Ion engine is fine. The Miniak is an ok synth - imo severely compromised because of the lack of a physical interface, but anyway - and it's a pretty cheap synth. That's all. I've played with the original Ion quite a bit and yes, it might have the best-sounding filters of the current crop of VAs, but I still don't think it's *that* much more impressive than the others; take away the interface and one might start to wonder if having that hardware box that you have to program via software is any better than just going software in the first place...

But anyway - I was merely pointing out that we only arrived at the Miniak in the first place because it happens to bear the mark of Akai - thus, very little relation to the question at hand, even if your answer was factually correct.

Back