Chopping Question

scnupe7

When you guys chop up samples into small pieces, where do you place them back together? Do you place each piece in its own channel in a sequencer like FL or do you do it in a wave editor like sound forge?

Depends the Sampling Producer.. I do Use FL i use Reason but i will tell u how i do it in Reason

1. Listen to the Sample.. Listen for Parts
I Like.. Lets say i want 4 Parts.

2. Load the Sample in the Nnxt Sampler 4
times. Mess with the "Start and "End"
Feature on the Nnxt this way i can zone
in on the sound i need. yea i can
simply Chop it in Recycle and or
Sound Forge but i Hate using 3rd
party Applications.

3. Place Each Slice on key according to
the way i play my keys,Tweak each
Slice.

4. Play the Melody out.. then i Place
each Slide on it on Channel this way
I have total controll over each slice
in the mix.

Last edited:
Cyko said:
Depends the Sampling Producer.. I do Use FL i use Reason but i will tell u how i do it in Reason

1. Listen to the Sample.. Listen for Parts
I Like.. Lets say i want 4 Parts.

2. Load the Sample in the Nnxt Sampler 4
times. Mess with the "Start and "End"
Feature on the Nnxt this way i can zone
in on the sound i need. yea i can
simply Chop it in Recycle and or
Sound Forge but i Hate using 3rd
party Applications.

3. Place Each Slice on key according to
the way i play my keys,Tweak each
Slice.

4. Play the Melody out.. then i Place
each Slide on it on Channel this way
I have total controll over each slice
in the mix.

Okay. I have FL Studio 4, Sound Forge, and Acid. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? I have a guitar sample I pulled from the beginning of a Madonna song. I chop that sample up into small pieces in Sound Forge and assing each piece to a channel in FL (since I currently don't have a midi to assign them to) and play the guitar back, but differently from the original song. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Use the sample how you want.. Keep it the same.. Make it diff.. Filter it.. use it how you like no special Rules

Cyko said:
Use the sample how you want.. Keep it the same.. Make it diff.. Filter it.. use it how you like no special Rules

Thanks. I understand that. What i need to understand is if there is a correct way or best way to place the sample back together once i chop it. Is is best to place it back together in a wave editor like sound forge or in a sequencer like FL?

scnupe7 said:

Thanks. I understand that. What i need to understand is if there is a correct way or best way to place the sample back together once i chop it. Is is best to place it back together in a wave editor like sound forge or in a sequencer like FL?

if you're using FL, why not use the beat-quantizer plugin?? (it comes only as a demo with FL, you'd have to purchase it seperately though)

baggysound said:

if you're using FL, why not use the beat-quantizer plugin?? (it comes only as a demo with FL, you'd have to purchase it seperately though)

What does the beat quantizer do?

scnupe7 said:

What does the beat quantizer do?

quantize beats ? i don't use FL, but all it probably does, is automatch the strong hits of your beat to on-hits, rather than off-hits (which wouldn't sound good)

nool said:

quantize beats ? i don't use FL, but all it probably does, is automatch the strong hits of your beat to on-hits, rather than off-hits (which wouldn't sound good)

Okay. Thanks. I think your answer also answered my next question.

I have noticed that alot of producers who chop samples and place them back together, place the samples back together at the same time a kick drum hits? Is this just coincidence or is it intentional? Is this what the beat quantizer does?

scnupe7 said:

Okay. Thanks. I think your answer also answered my next question.

I have noticed that alot of producers who chop samples and place them back together, place the samples back together at the same time a kick drum hits? Is this just coincidence or is it intentional? Is this what the beat quantizer does?

its intentional.. some do it some don't

Back