Choosing Computers (for Music Production, DJing, and Gaming)

T

TheCapitalFalcon

Hello everybody,

I've made this thread because I've recently been having a hard time deciding on something.

First of all, let me explain my situation here:

I've been wanting to get into DJ/Producing for about a year or so, and I've only been able to fiddle around with some free tools (ex: FL Studio Demo Version) for the time being, mainly because I'm short on money. Though, I've recently been given the chance to possibly acquire some gear so I could start a career in Music Production/DJing. In this opportunity I have the chance to be able to acquire pretty much everything needed to produce music, with the addition of a DJ Controller to practice DJing at home (one that requires a computer to be able to use, and this doesn't include a PA system or lighting for performing live). Although, this set of gear (that is NOT being provided out of my budget) that I might be able to receive does not include one major thing, a computer.

And that is what I've been having trouble with, choosing a computer, why am I having trouble?

That is because I'm trying to find one that will be used to do these three things: Produce Music, DJ, and Game, and will also be within my budget (around $900).

So far, it's been pretty much impossible. Why? Because I want to be able to DJ live (whenever the time for that may come, depending on my success as a producer, I think, I'm not sure how that all works), and to do that you would need a portable computer, a laptop, and laptops can be pretty expensive.

Although, as you might have guessed, I probably don't need to worry about live DJing right off the bat, and should probably focus more on practicing at home first.

So this is where I'm having trouble deciding on two things, either:

1. Get a laptop (Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite S855-S5170 Intel Core i7 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 8) that I can hardly afford that performs to all three uses (the ones that I mentioned before in this post), but rather poorly, and get one for the main reason being that it's portable, and you can live DJ with it, even though I probably won't need to worry about that seeing how I don't have all the equipment yet (PA System, lighting).

2. Get a DIY Computer Kit (Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!) (or just buy all the components separately) that I can easily afford, be able to Produce Music, Practice DJing, and Game on it very adequately, but won't be able to live DJ with, requiring me to buy a less expensive laptop that I would need to save up for (along with a PA System and lights) when the time may come for me to DJ live.

Sorry if this post made little sense, or caused some confusion among whoever is reading it, but please feel free to give me your opinions on which option I should choose.

Thanks!

Back