Can I get some advice on my mixing for this beat?

Chrisgalactic

I'm really trying to improve my mixing (aren't we all lol) I hear some pretty great beats on here where the mixes sound like they have a perfect balance so I figured I would ask some advice. This beat is completed but your advice will help on the next beat I mix. Drop those links to I want to hear that fire you guys are always cooking. Thank you!

i like the overall vibes on this beat! i have a few suggestions on the mix: the drums could be a bit louder, the main synths playing could use a bit of eqing and maybe turned down a bit, and that one other vocal synth sounds a little out of place at some parts. overall, im liking the sound selection you used on this beat, it has a really chill vibe. nice work!

sample is way too loud, and too mono, try to separate the stereo signals more and lower the volume then add some sweet reverb and maybe a little delay. i think some of the lower frequencies of the sample might be interfering with the 808 a bit? cant really hear it that well it might just be me haha. good work

Hi there!
I like the vibes here! This sound that is coming in 0:12 it's to muddy for me I think you should get rid of some frequencies around 250 - 600hz.
You can try also to put this sound more in space using for example haas effect, chorus or whatever that works for you. It will make a better seperation and clarity between kick, bass and these synths.
Nevertheless well done and keep going! :)

sample is way too loud, and too mono, try to separate the stereo signals more and lower the volume then add some sweet reverb and maybe a little delay. i think some of the lower frequencies of the sample might be interfering with the 808 a bit? cant really hear it that well it might just be me haha. good work

You know what I struggle with getting that stereo sound. I do use an waves imager (or whatever it's called) and get pretty aggressive sometimes but it doesn't really widen the sample as much. Would you recommend splitting the stereo to two mono signals and using a delay to widen it that way?

I think you are right, I try controlling the low end a bit more but that's what I struggle with the most lol

Thats for the tip my friend ! That range 250 to 600 is that a common range that is used to for cutting? Normally I like to get rid of the low end information to make space for the kick and bass/808 but I hardly ever cut from the midrange because honestly I don't know where to start lol and I am afraid to ruin the mix (even more haha) how much do you usually cut, is 3db a safe place to start?

Overall really nice beat you've def created a vibe with it but the mix could use some improvements. I think you need to re-level the beat to get everything balanced always make sure the main elements of the beat depending on the genre or what your going for are the loudest or take centre stage so for e.g main vocals, (if the track has any) kick, bass and the lead instrument everything else should be lower or behind the main sounds not dramatically lower but the main sounds should have the main shine, I also think you need to do some EQ on your sounds a few sounds are muddy use the EQ to cut out unwanted frequencies in a sound to clean it up also this helps provide more head room in the mx & I think some better panning would help this mix a lot f the stuff sounds centred and squashed together you want a nice stereo mix that sounds great both in stereo and mono and for each instrument to sit in their own section and not clash with others if sounds do clash use subtractive EQ to remove parts that are clashing.

Back