Building Home Sutdio, NEED HELP! :)

J

JokerMusic

Hi,
I'm 16 years old and I make beats. So I just got myself a little room in my basement to start recording because I have some friends that rap and we'd like to record some songs. I bought a cheap interface (Tascam us-122mkII) when I started making beats (1 year ago) to plug my keyboard (Akai mpk61) and I would like to upgrade my equipement to get better sound quality.
So we'd like to buy:

1. Interface ( M-Audio ProFire 610 ? I heard it was a good choice)
2. Studio Monitors (was thinking about the Rokits 5 G2, or Yamaha HS50)
3. Microphone ( Audio Technica AT4040 ?)

We will mainly record Rap songs, but Rnb too. (maybe instruments too, like acoustic guitar, but it is not a priority in choosing the mic)

I would like to make my beats and record in the same room because that's all I have for now.
So please help me making my choice for the equipement and please keep in mind I have a limited budget since I work for that money and I ain't rich at 16 years old.. ;)

Thanks alot, your advices are really appreciated!

PS:Excuse my bad english, my first language isn't english.

Awesome man...i would assume you already have some sort of computer to plug all this stuff into....i would recommend for you not to get bogged down in the equipment game just yet....let me ask you what about your songs do you want to better? Vocals...the beat...what is lacking...?

(2.8 ghz i7 with asus motherboard-8gs ram, 8 gb ram-macbook pro,Cubase 5, Logic 9, Reason, Komplete7, Pro Tools LE,
Plugins Galore, Motu 828 MK3, Motu 8 Pre.)

Yeah, i got a good desktop i bought last year for around 1000$, but i wasnt making any beats when i bought it so i got a cheap soundcard. The problem right now is that we want to record some songs and make an album this year, and the only thing i have to mix with is some Beats By Dre Solo headphones wich is just aweful to mix with.
The microphone is the last thing we're going to buy because we can borrow a Bluebird from a friend.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i've read, the audio interface works as a soundcard and if you have a cheap one you'll get cheap sound quality, thats why we want to buy the Profire610 wich i read alot of good comments about.
thank you for your reply !

Yes you are correct the audio interface acts as your sound card! The profire is decent, and you will have to get monitors. you will still need the headphones to track the vocals, and the bluebird is actually not bad at all, very good mic for the price. What are you using to record on? you said you have a pc, i can point you in the direction of some really good software freeware plugins that will enhance manythings...

I'm looking into getting the same set up right now actually

I've got the AT4040 running through a M Box 3 Mini right now but I've been looking into getting the Profire since the M Box Mini is pretty limited on inputs

I'd recommend the Rokit 5's but I've never heard the HS50's so can't really say which I prefer

I think i will go with the hs50m because of their high's and mid's, and i heard they are better then the rockit's because they are more flat. People say they have a lack on bass but i could afford a sub in like 1year so that's better then buying the Rockits now and having to change monitors next year because they add too much 'colour'.
I'm curently using Fruity Loops to make my beats. Since we've only recorded like 2 songs yet, i 'mixed' (thats not the right word since it sounded really bad) with fl studio (i have Adobe Audition too). Should i move to Protools (or another DAW like cubase or Sonar) since i'll buy the Profire ? And can you please tell me the plugins you use to mix? I use Ozone but don't really like it..
Thanks alot!

And for the audio interface, i know the profire610 is a good piece of gear, but maybe its too expensive for my budget. All i need is some outputs for my yamahas hs50m and the red and white output for my old amp and speakers, 1 (2 would be good) inputs for mic/guit , headphones out. and thats pretty much it i think. do you know any interface that has that and costs less then 400$? (considering i still want to get good quality sound, if possible!)

You don't have to buy brand new equipment to get good results. The used equipment market is one of the smartest choices you can make.

You can buy a used ProFire 610 for between $300-$400. I bought it's predecessor the FireWire 410 for around $150 and it was a great choice. You can find a plethora of good semi-pro interfaces used for under $400. If I were restarting all over, I probably wouldn't buy many new products unless I just couldn't find them used. Audio Equipment tends to last relatively long.

I use a USB recorder to lay down all my tracks and beats. Records in ST, STSP, STLP, LP, and SP frequency. I paid $99 or an ICD- UX200, which is now around $80.

The recording device allows me to plug the USB right into my laptop USB port and I'm ready to drag and drop files into folders.

That simple.

The sound quality is great because I use Logitech speakers that hit clean. Lots of Bass.

You can buy a used ProFire 610 for between $300-$400. I bought it's predecessor the FireWire 410 for around $150 and it was a great choice. You can find a plethora of good semi-pro interfaces used for under $400.
Ok thanks! wich of the three would you recommand for my needs and considering the price too ?

Back