Best Sampler

Salas831Rapper

I'm thinking about getting a sampler. I'm either thinking of getting HALion or Kontakt. I have look into both but can't decide which one is better.

I love Kontakt's engine for sampling. Never used Halion though.

Kontakt is meant to be a pretty fantastic software sampler - with a truckload of features/settings (a few too many for some peoples liking).

Battery is a great sample player (eg load up the banks, and trigger them), but I don't know about using it to actually sample?

Dirrectwave is the only VSTi sampler I know that can actually really sample.

Sqito said:
Dirrectwave is the only VSTi sampler I know that can actually really sample.

This is one of the reasons I love the Ableton Sampler. It's not a VSTi but an add-on package for Live 6, though.

Some examples:

As Sampler integrates so fully into Live, I can approach the whole environment as one huge sampler when I wish to do so. You can drag samples into the Sampler from anywhere in your project, so you can instantly record something from the outside world into a Session View slot or into the Arrangement, then just seamlessly drag that clip into the Sampler, adjust the velocity/keyboard zones and trim the clip further, set loop points, modulations etc. All inside that one Live interface.

Also, if I have a CPU intensive VSTi setup going, say a heavy multi-zone rack of multiple Zebras producing a long ambient texture... When that long textural sound is just right, I can freeze that MIDI track with one command, simply drag that freezed material onto an audio track to have a completely separate audio clip of it, then just drag it into the Sampler :). I can then proceed by unfreezing the original MIDI track, tweaking it so that it sounds different in the upper octaves, for example, and again repeating the above, dragging it as audio into another keyzone in the Sampler.

In the same vein, you can record a channel group or resample the whole project on the fly onto an audio track and then just drag that into the Sampler. Set the input of an audio track to resample, then experiment live with wacky modulations inside a given plugin (percussive sounds, noises, weird evolving timbres...), just improvise stuff for an hour if you want :) ... Then listen to what you just recorded, and as you come across a neat sound, just paint that section and drag it into the Sampler. Rinse and repeat.

It's very quick and effective, and it's working just the way I want a complete sampler to work. You can actually sample with it, from inside your project or from the outside world, improvising and building your own stuff in no time.

Last edited:
Sounds like me using Edison in FL. ^^
Actually exactly the same workflow. ;)

Last edited:
Back