Beats u thought more highly of before hearing original

Not Enough by Little Brother

The original was a Teddy Pendergrass record. When i got that Minstrel Show Sample pack, i was mad as hell. That **** was soooo easy. One simple loop. As was the track Hiding Place by Little Brother

i cant hate..........i loop sometimes

This happens to me all too often.

One that comes to mind as I just listened to the sample recently is Dre - What's The Difference.

Most of Kanye West's tracks. Especially the one with the Curtis Mayfield move on up sample. That pisses me off.

Some of you guys need to chill. I can see why you'd be a little dissapointed but if you're getting pissed then you need to ease up, see a shrink or somethin. :cheers:

Dont hate on these guys for being good at digging. The average listner, im guessing, dosnt listen to classic tunes, so these producers can get away with flipping it like its new. if it was a hit then, it ill probably be a hit today if u flip it right.
hem

All of MF Dooms beats. Ive come across a fair few recently, and the guy is the biggest straight looper there is. He doesnt even add any drums or anyhting alot of times. I never of thought this when i heard his records. End of Glass Onion is one example

bobsmitt said:
nuthin but a g thang never impressed me lol i don't get why ppl like him.
Lack of taste is what hampers you son...Nothin' But a G Thang owns... Very hard.

captnappy said:
Not Enough by Little Brother

The original was a Teddy Pendergrass record. When i got that Minstrel Show Sample pack, i was mad as hell. That **** was soooo easy. One simple loop. As was the track Hiding Place by Little Brother

i cant hate..........i loop sometimes
I looped a John Coltrain Horn one time... But I changed up the tempo big time, and I added everything else. The cotrain just took the place of my main synth.

Last edited:
Wow some of you guys are just haters.Why would anyone mention "Breathe"?Blaze chopped it up lovely.But yeah, "Nothin But A G Thang" will always hold #1 spot on this type of countdown.When I first heard the original, I was surprised that it was a straight up loop like that.

wu-tang - CREAM
pretty much looped ish... i was disappointed... i found tha original sample and looped it myself to make my ringtone lol

True Technique Music said:
Nas - New York State of Mind....couldnt believe that was a sample

It's a loop? I thought Primo musta chopped the ****ta outta the original for that beat...btw, does anyone know what is the original?

yeluhz strongs said:
wu-tang - CREAM
pretty much looped ish... i was disappointed... i found tha original sample and looped it myself to make my ringtone lol

Yeah same thing happend to me...I mean CREAM was my ****, still is...I was always wondering where RZA got it from, then I finally heard I'll Never Grow Old by The Charmels.

Last edited:
Streetspoet said:
It's a loop? I thought Primo musta chopped the ****ta outta the original for that beat...btw, does anyone know what is the original?
The song is Mind Rain by Joe Chambers.

I don't know if you're allowed to up full retail songs on here, so here's a clip of the part that is sampled.

NY State of Mind sample

i dont know. all these beats are ****ing dope whether or not they are straight looped. although i was kinda dissapointed when i heard cabfare by the souls of mischief where they sampled angela and sped up the loops. it was a dope beat though.

PSA - Jay-Z
Book of Rhymes - Nas
1976 - Rjd2
Keep it Thoro - Mobb Deep

These made me cry.

just about every song offa '2001'. but the mixes and drums are impecable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the songs you people are naming are OBVIOUS samples.

If you have an ear, you should know a sample is being used on most of the record even if u dont know what it is.

Nothing but a G thing?
Money Aint a Thing?
NY State of Mind?

obvious.

PSA was another one. After hearing the record it's like NOTHING was done to it except adding a one-note bass stab and helping the drums a "little." plus i hear just blaze didn't even make that beat, even though the credit was his.

As for 9th wonder...if you REALLY listen to his work, you can tell he doesn't even chop that thoroughly. He doesn't really do anything much to the beat except add drums n what not. Most of his production is straightforward and seems quickly done, although you can vibe to it.

I still give the sampling crowns to premier and pete rock. I take extended periods of time to get my samples right...and put effort into the ****. For example, the PSA Remix on my myspace.....if you listen to the intro loop.....i took the first half of that loop, and chopped it into 27 pieces. layered 4 kicks, and 5 snares, as well as 3 hi hats. Sounds like a simple enough beat, but it took about 4 hours to get it right.

3rik said:
who did dre sample on still dre and nothing but a g thang?

nevermind i just found it LOL, and dre always saying in interviews he don't like sampling

he didnt sample. he did play that, the piano stabs were done by scott storch.

Dre rarely samples

Back