Beats/songs/samples that inspired you to start sampling and make beats

i know its probably cliche to say but alot of premier got me into sampling,some favourites would have to be rza,9th wonder,pete rock of course..hard to pin point exact tracks but those are main influences for sure

Yeah, I'm just going to say. 9th Wonder, DJ Premier, Stoupe, RZA and Pete Rock. They mastered it, now it's my turn :D

Illmatic, 36 chambers, The production on liquid swords. Obvious answers but these tracks were there with me through most of my teen years.

That song got me interested in making beat and saying I need to make beats now! I had been interested since i heard jump by Kriss Kross. I didn't realize that these songs were sampled until 2 years in when I had trouble recreating the sounds I liked. That and a friend of mine used to tell me all kinds of songs by Dr. Dre that were sampled when I thought they were not. When I realized that most of my favorite producers sampled i said why not sample too. Here are some others too from around the time I became interested in beats that inspired me

really, i started sampling cause of the pitched-up vocals that Kanye West and Just Blaze used to do on Jay-Z's work.
I was a big Jay-Z fan when the Blueprint came out. that's like the album that started hiphop for me cause it had so much soul.

really, i started sampling cause of the pitched-up vocals that Kanye West and Just Blaze used to do on Jay-Z's work.
I was a big Jay-Z fan when the Blueprint came out. that's like the album that started hiphop for me cause it had so much soul.

Not saying that you are saying it but I always found it funny that Kanye and Just Blaze were given credit for starting that style when they both have admitted that they took the style from RZA. RZA used to do that in the 90s because machines didn't have time stretching and he wanted to force his samples to fit his break beats. Kanye and Just Blaze just make it cleaner and better for mainstream audiences. Wu Tang was straight underground raw.

RZA did it out of pretty much necessity which so happened to create a new style (Kanye, Blaze)..love it!

King Gheedora(DOOM)'s Take Me To Your Leader, Special Herbs, Murs 3:16, and The Minstrel Show got me making beats. If I had to pick a couple songs it would be, Next Levels by Gheedora, and Murs-Walk Like A Man. The Murs track had 3 different beats on it.

Well seeing as I'm only 17, I didn't have the chance to hear the early 90's stuff until much more recently. For me it was Kanye. I was into rap music but once i heard his stuff i wanted to be a part of it. through the wire was probably THE track that made me want to sample.

@YoungZay Good call on the King Geedorah. Definitely gotta go with anything DOOM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made a thread asking the same ish in the HipHop/Rap Section, didnt see this one. But mine was Madlib Shades of Blue. He flipped the Jazz and Hip Hop so ill. Still listen to that album frequently. After I heard it, I went and copped a MPC, been working on my craft now continuosly since Spring 2005. Only thing that gets me away from my music, is life. (Work, School, Marriage)

Back