Audio Interface causes CPU to go up(100%) and down

EugeneS

Untitled.png

Hello all.

I've discovered this when heard clicks and pops while browsing the internet and listening to music (be it youtube or AIMP) and while writing some music with Ableton.

I'm 100% sure that it is because of the audio interface (M-Audio Mobile Pre MKII).
to be precise, because of the sound coming from the interface, if there's no sound but the interface plugged, the CPU is okay.
It happens only when there's some music playing, or me playing some instruments in Ableton.

any help would be much appreciated!

ohh yes, in case you need my laptop specs:
ASUS N53SV
processor: Intel i3-2310M 2.10 GHz
RAM: 8Gb
64bit Windows7 OS

You dont have to answer all of these, but try this out like a check list or something

How low is your buffer set? Lower = more faster latency, faster meters, and more vulnerable to pops, clicks, static. Higher = more slower latency, slower meters, less audible errors glitches.

How many channels of I/O are you using in for channel configuration in your audio tab? If you don't need a lot don't have a lot enabled.

Right click on the volume icon in the bottom right of the taskbar and select playback devices, from there go to your audio interface,hen go on the advanced tab and make sure that's matching the Hz in your daw. Its not a huge thing but some audio interfaces conflict between the Daw and OS if your interface is set as the default playback device and your daw is trying to playback a different sample rate.

In your Ableton preferences in the CPU tab do you have Multicore/Multiprocessor support on? Its vital that you turn that on...From the picture it looks like you don't.

Maybe its the virtual instrument that your using? Some vst's aren't optimized to well and the cpu shoots up the second sound is played.

Lastly have you tried using another daw to eliminate if the problem is Ableton, your vst's, or it is your interface causing the problem?

Which vst are you using btw? I used a laptop with a I3 processor before I got another...but I had cpu issues with a few vst's, because they demanded to much cpu power from the processor...no other culprit.

Last edited by a moderator:
buffer is 256 (default by interface). I've changed to 512, same rollercoaster on my cpu meter :)

I/O only 2. Sample rate matches - 44100. Multicore is ON.

No, it's not the instrument, because there's problem even if it is only AIMP3 playing and I'm browsing the inet (while entering new page there are a lot of crackles)
well, the only instrument I had problems was u-he's Diva, but it eats very much of the cpu.

and yeah, to add to that.. even if there's nothing into ableton, the cpu goes crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, the symptoms seems to be the the same. I downloaded the hotfix sent via email but it says 'the update is not applicable for you'.

I never did some windows update, could this be the problem?

Back