Any tips or guides for programming Absynth?

Remedial

I'm thinking about getting Absynth mainly due to the fact that users can load their own sounds into it and use them as oscillators. I'm figuring I could probably scour the net and get me some square, saw, triangle, pulse, noise etc... base sounds from vintage synths and use those as a basis for creating some new, unique sounds.

But....

I know that Absynth is a formiddable opponent and has a notoriously difficult learning curve.

So...

I wanted to know if anyone has come across any tutorials or guides for creating sounds on Absynth. Now, mind you, I will read the manual, as is my usual fashion with any new synth I purchase, but manuals hardly ever give you the necessary skills needed to create patches.

I guess, in general, any synthesis guides would be great. This will be my first foray into synth programming. I have read most of the SOS Synth Secrets series and How To Make A Nosie, both of which are great for describing the parts of a synth, forms of synthesis and providing a general overview of how a patch is created, but still left me with a blank face when it came time to get to patch creation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

i dont know if that helps, but make sure you have a powerful machine because absynth is a notorious cpu whore, haha!

^^ word!!! lol i just got it myself so im learning how to use it n stuff

That's good that u will read the manual, but to suggest that it doesn't give u the skills to build patches is relative to your mind-frame.

It boils down to your imagination/experimentation, basically. Just like any other synth/sampler.

You could show a kid in detail how to use a crayon or u could just give him a crayon and paper and let him figure it out for himself. Sometimes in music u just gotta think like a kid. Kids don't care if they break anything. they don't care if they're doing it "the wrong way". They just wanna know "what'll happen if I push this button?".

That's basically spectrasonics' approach to sound design. They're a bunch of grown - up kids setting fire to pianos and recording what comes out. Might be successful, might not.

I honestly don't think Absynth is especially hard - it just looks a bit intimidating. The actual signal flow and the elements included are pretty basic; at heart it's a rather normal subtractive synth with very flexible envelopes and an unconventional effects section.

Back