Any Questions for Andrew Lloyd can get answered RIGHT HERE

Any tips for twitter/soundcloud/facebook etc.

I'm a retard with social media lol.

shit just be yourself honestly, i found that the more i didnt talk about music on my social media, the more people i got following me that actually give a **** about my career and what im doing. I got a lot of women following me that support me so thats always good. These A&R dudes be chasing pussy so tough that if the right chicks follow you, the right A & Rs will as well

talk about your neighborhood a lot, a lot of my followers are from the NY area just because i talk about being in certain spots. You just wanna build a connection with folks, and its gotta be natural. That spam shit is the worst thing a person can do

how often do do u hear about Studio's gettin ran into? i see alot of guys with guns in the studio

Last edited:
any tips for fingering 7 chords on the piano? should I just start using my thumb, first, and middle fingers (r hand) for every reg. triad, then drop the pinky when I need to?

^^ what kind of chord is it specifically, like the voicing/intervals.

I used to tutor niggas, I'm a jazz musician technically but I stay grounded in contemporary/soul nowadays.

how often do do u hear about Studio's gettin ran into? i see alot of guys with guns in the studio

i mean not often but it happens, its kinda life. You just gotta be insured, and keep the heat on ya to protect yourself from any situation, but as long as youre in a good spot and make sure you KNOW who is coming in and out of your spot. Dont be having random niggas come through all the time. Its your studio, be strict with that. All the studios i go to, they let me know i cant just bring whoever. Keep it exclusive

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

any tips for fingering 7 chords on the piano? should I just start using my thumb, first, and middle fingers (r hand) for every reg. triad, then drop the pinky when I need to?

it really is how youre voicing the chord youre trying to play

i prefer to play open voicings, i dont really play closed when im actually playing.. when im making beats usually i'll keep pads and rhodes/pianos closed and strings and stuff like that open

what i mean is usally in the left hand play the Root and 5th (or 3rd if youre fancy) and then in the right hand play the rest of the chord in whatever interval makes sense. It really depends on the progression and who you've got things mapped out. Because you wanna make sure everything is voiceled so that you can easily maneuver between chords.

Also listen to a lot of Bill Evans he the king of chords when it comes to voicings

oops, I thought you said 7-finger chords. like a chord that takes two hands. . . . 7 fingers to play, but you said a Seven Chord.

shit i thought he was too lol

but yea

for 7th chords, its still depending on how you voice them, like i said i prefer open voicings, so i'll do root and 5th in the bass/left hand.. and then 3rd, 7th, 9th, 13th or whatever in the right hand

but do what feels comfortable for you, you just get fuller chords the more open the chord is, even though it feels like it should be opposite.

but yea

for 7th chords, its still depending on how you voice them, like i said i prefer open voicings, so i'll do root and 5th in the bass/left hand.. and then 3rd, 7th, 9th, 13th or whatever in the right hand

but do what feels comfortable for you, you just get fuller chords the more open the chord is, even though it feels like it should be opposite.

bruh i stole this fly azz minor9 voicing from this one nigga's live performance

LH----RH
DAE / FACE

couldn't tell me nothin after that. best part is the RH is just a 7 arpeggio. pretty sure if I invert that it can get even more awesome.

and thats a clever way to implement "regular chords" cause honestly, im getting away from all the big exotic shit i used to do. no augmented's, sharps or extra flat's, just 9th's, 6/9's, 11th's and 13th's from here on now.

Last edited:

but yea

Word so open chord = inverted chord? Prob. a dumb question but I'm self-taught on piano and my instructor is a dumbass.

@shawty1- basically you're saying you throw in a 9th or 11th or whatever in with your major chords just to switch it up on 'em?

Word so open chord = inverted chord? Prob. a dumb question but I'm self-taught on piano and my instructor is a dumbass.

ehh not necessarily "inverted", but usually an "open chord" will be voiced out of order of the blocked chord. but it has to have the same notes as the block chord.

ex.- the "block chord" of CMajor is just your basic triad the C,E,G usually played with 1-3-5 (even though I play it 1-3-4).

if I wanted to turn that into an "open voicing" I could do CC in the left hand as octaves and ECEG in the right hand. vulia. a simple chord turned into a thick movement preferrably played by a "big pad", an organ, electric piano or something to that nature.

---------
but I would never actually use that in my own music, me personally I'd turn that shit into CD in the lefthand and EBDA in the righthand or some shit for more color. that makes it some kind of 6+9 chord. whether it's Major6 Add9, or Major9 Add6 idk, i don't get caught up in the names cause im not in the classroom, im in the DAW with the record button. so my focus is on making it happen.

Dr.Strangelove said:
@shawty1- basically you're saying you throw in a 9th or 11th or whatever in with your major chords just to switch it up on 'em?

major, minor, any type of chord quality really. but not just to "switch them up", but because I like how it sounds. i do everything because i like how it sounds. but in Neo-Soul, you not gonna get away with just doing 7's and triads.

ehh not necessarily "inverted", but usually an "open chord" will be voiced out of order of the blocked chord. but it has to have the same notes as the block chord.

ex.- the "block chord" of CMajor is just your basic triad the C,E,G usually played with 1-3-5 (even though I play it 1-3-4).

if I wanted to turn that into an "open voicing" I could do CC in the left hand as octaves and ECEG in the right hand. vulia. a simple chord turned into a thick movement preferrably played by a "big pad", an organ, electric piano or something to that nature.

---------
but I would never actually use that in my own music, me personally I'd turn that shit into CD in the lefthand and EBDA in the righthand or some shit for more color. that makes it some kind of 6+9 chord. whether it's Major6 Add9, or Major9 Add6 idk, i don't get caught up in the names cause im not in the classroom, im in the DAW with the record button. so my focus is on making it happen.

major, minor, any type of chord quality really. but not just to "switch them up", but because I like how it sounds. i do everything because i like how it sounds. but in Neo-Soul, you not gonna get away with just doing 7's and triads.

Shit's heavy. I obviously need to get my keys game up. Any book reccs? Or should I just learn to play songs and get a feel for it?

do you like the chappelle show?

what song do you bump in your car on a regular basis?

would you take a punch from kimbo slice for half a million dollars? it would be just like he did in this video

do you cook for your woman?

would you be kim k's sex slave? lol

^^^ The things people do for money. lol
Kimbo ain't f__kin with the MMA though! lol.

Since its here gotta pose music question. What's up with the theory books Drew? I know at some point you dealt with some kinda theory books. A couple recs would be nice. Maybe a beginner and an advanced joint.

Last edited:

this is what im bumpin in the car right now

and naw i really dont give Feedback out like that truthfully.

and honestly i dont have any good theory books to suggest, everything i learned through good tutoring and lots of practicing and listening to a lot of different genres of music. Studying the greats

why do you wanna become a a&r? Is It because the pay is better? Is making beats all day getting boring?

cause making beats all day gets boring, i still make beats though, im just not pressed on it like that, and truthfully i never really have been

like i said, when fyre signed me, he was looking for a Keyboard player, not a producer, i just happened to be nice, and he liked my beats that i made. I like making beats for fun when i want to, making beats all day is kinda annoying

now i make beats that i want, when i want and i work on projects only when money is calling.

Back