9th wonder

des3701

Does any one have any of his techniques he choops so well and his bass lines are crazy. Now dont get me wrong im hot but i just wana try and do some more beats that is his style.

Your best bet is to just do yourself, find your own style. One of the biggest rules of producing is not to bite (also goes for writing rhymes too). He may chop up beats nice, but find your own way to flip samples. Then ppl will ask, "How can I do beats like him?"

see im not asking how to do beat like him because i have my own style and thats every type of beat you could ever think of im a all over producer. just check my **** out

it seems like 9th uses long chops in his tracks to make them loop like, and he usess the synths in FL to get those basslines. I used them before and they sound just like his. But the main think I think is that he keeps it simple

hey your link got filtered by FP, i'd like to see that.
i've been making some 9th wonder type stuff recently. you can check out my stuff:

http://www.tightbeatz.com/download.php?fileid=43851
http://www.tightbeatz.com/download.php?fileid=44264
http://www.tightbeatz.com/download.php?fileid=41705
www.lockdown-ent.com for my of our beats.

basically what i do is find a real nice smooth sample and just chop up each note real good and clean, then i load em up into my midikeyboard and play around with the notes/chops until i get a good sequence. then for the drums, 9th wonder usually keeps his drums simple. he dosen't use that many kicks and he almost never uses claps, only snares. his hats are also pretty straight foward hats on every 1/4th. im still working on making my bass sick along with my sampled beats so i can't give any advice on that yet really. just find a clean sine bass and just do whatever sounds good and then try and add a 2 note transition at the end of each 4 for the bass. hope this helps

Now dont get me wrong im hot but i just wana try and do some more beats that is his style.

i listened to your beats. your alright, i would say hot. your drums need some work. its cool though.

but seriously: think about it. if there were simple techniques, or a list of people to sample, to sound like 9th wonder, dre, alchemist, or whoever, there wouldnt be any difference between us (unknown, generally bad beatmakers) and them (well-known hot producers.) so no one is just going to say "oh yeah, well to sound like 9th you just use these drums, sample these people, etc."

most artists who blow up (i said most) put in a lot of work and pay dues for years before they get big. the time allows them to learn techniques and skills, but MOST IMPORTANTLY IT HELPS THEM DEVELOPE THEIR EARS AND IMAGINATIONS. 9th wonder uses fl 4 and cool edit 2. anyone could get both those for free on the internet (and many have) and yet most of those people still suck. the difference isnt really equipment, samples, or drums. its talent, experience, skill, and a very good EAR. most of us, including myself, dont have that YET.

pay some dues.

bhunt said:
it seems like 9th uses long chops in his tracks to make them loop like, and he usess the synths in FL to get those basslines. I used them before and they sound just like his. But the main think I think is that he keeps it simple

he uses stock FL synths for the bassline....what sound?

9th uses FL exclusively for all of his beatmaking needs other than sampling vinyl. He definitely uses the fruity slicer and his bassline is nothing more than HipBass(stock sound)tweaked to his liking. His formula is real basic though. Find yourself 2 16beat loops or 4 8beats, throw them in the slicer, set your tempo, and play along. Don't think about it too much just let it happen. Its really not that hard.

Last edited:
Mickey Knox said:
9th uses FL exclusively for all of his beatmaking needs other than sampling vinyl. He definitely uses the fruity slicer and his bassline is nothing more than HipBass(stock sound)tweaked to his liking. His formula is real basic though. Find yourself 2 16beat loops or 4 8beats, throw them in the slicer, set your tempo, and play along. Don't think about it too much just let it happen. Its really not that hard.

but y would u put it in the slicer?

The slicer gives you a real choppy sound when you set the points right. Leave room to clean up your sound. That why 9th samples have that Pete Rock, Premier feel to them. Its just his way of emulating the harware used at the time(sp1200) and making it his own. People ish on the Slicer but if you utilize it its a pretty powerful tool. Its just trail and error.
P.S.,
FL pro's if im giving away too much info let me know. lol!!!

Last edited:
Mickey Knox said:
his bassline is nothing more than HipBass(stock sound)tweaked to his liking.
Also if you look under Channel presets, theres a TS404 preset called subwoofer. Its a nice bass synth, with some mild tweaking (mainly the attack and release).

Mickey Knox said:
The slicer gives you a real choppy sound when you set the points right. Leave room to clean up your sound. That why 9th samples have that Pete Rock, Premier feel to them. Its just his way of emulating the harware used at the time(sp1200) and making it his own. People ish on the Slicer but if you utilize it its a pretty powerful tool. Its just trail and error.
P.S.,
FL pro's if im giving away too much info let me know. lol!!!
\

not at all...these people nowadays need to know that FL aint just a "my first betmaker" type program....and that they can do some serious music on it...

Yeah its some serious stuff. Too bad it doesnt come with better samples tho.

Well, I guess if one were to actually buy it....

Last edited:
Styl said:
Yeah its some serious stuff. Too bad it doesnt come with better samples tho.

Well, I guess if one were to actually buy it....

word...I got the FL 6 XXL Producer Edition...the only good thing about it is its got all the plugins...that way I aint gotta buy em seperately...

but I dont use any of FL's sounds...I use my own drums and the plugins that I have...and I got some crazy plugins...

Sampletank...Stylus...Trilogy...almost ever NI plugin you can think of...Reason...Cubase...and thats just the beginning...

but I just got all that in the mail this morning so....

you wont hear most of those sounds for maybe a week...I need to get accustomed to it...

Back