what do you compose first

A lot of people start with the drums to make sure you have a strong rhythm because it carries your song. Others will start with a chord progression first and add drums to it after, then the bass. It really depends on what works for you and your creativity.

I start with anything
Sample, Melody, Chords, Drums can be anything
but whatever I start with is always the foundation of my beat.

I never just start with something random, whatever I start with is usually what I've put the most thought into.
I may think of a sick ass melody I love, maybe i'll take a while to compose a very smooth progression, or program a crazy drum break and add some loops on top whatever.

From there I add other elements or accents to the rest of my foundation.
It is possible that I sometimes drop what I first started with if I have a busy track and that's one of my least favorite parts, but it's very rare

i'm thinking for my next track i will start with the drums as i have come to realize that drums are one of my weaknesses...

i'm thinking for my next track i will start with the drums as i have come to realize that drums are one of my weaknesses...

Maybe you shouldn't then, maybe you should make what ur best at the main focus of the song and then add drums to add some groove and movement. Don't let the drums drive your work if you're not the greatest at drums.
I'm also weak in drumming (getting better) so I tend to add drums later in the production process, but very rarely first, even if I have a little melody or progression.

I'm pretty new, but I usually start with different leads/synths that sound nice together. Then, I've realized, in the morning i'll delete most of it except the tunes that I feel are actually needed and not just there.

As a new producer, and regarding that the style I chose is a mix between dark ambient, dark industrial, dubstep, drum and bass AND heavy metal, I usually start with the dark ambient intro. You know, really dark moody melodies. Then I'll just create some bass melodies that fit, always trying to find the perfect transition between them, and then I add the rest (synths, lead, etc.). After all this are sitting together, I make the drums.

Maybe you shouldn't then, maybe you should make what ur best at the main focus of the song and then add drums to add some groove and movement. Don't let the drums drive your work if you're not the greatest at drums.
I'm also weak in drumming (getting better) so I tend to add drums later in the production process, but very rarely first, even if I have a little melody or progression.
good idea, i will stick to my current formula that works just fine :)

I second this :)

"could be anything - each tune dictates it's own path - but generally I find that a track usually comes to me more or less fully formed - lead, chords, bass and basic drums are all present in my aural imagination and then I orchestrate and arrange the final version comes from being an old old dog..... "

Last edited:
1. Noodle around on piano to the sound of a metronome seeing what sounds good

2. Discover catchy single note lead, make single notes into chords experimenting with major/minor. now you got your rhythm. Check to see what key & progression you may fall under so you have a better idea of what notes/chords are permitted.

3. Add background bass guitar/pads/strings/brass/orchestra (they just follow my chord root usually). If my initial catchy melody/rhythm involved some lower notes then the bass will automatically substitute it or follow it.

4.Then finally add another catchy lead/hook sound playing ontop of my rhythm. This way I got "two leads" as opposed to a lead and a bland chord behind it filling up the space.

Back