Hip Hop Beats In 3/4 Signature

D

D assasin

I jus been tryna to get a new sound outta my compositions and I was wonderin' if anyone else had any work or somethan to add on to it

I never tried it before....

Does anyone know what time signiture Spaceship (by Kanye West)
is in?

igh coo I have somethan in the porocess aswell but im not feelin it like I wanna lol

I do beats in all manners of different time signatures...

Its sometimes good to just set an alien signature and just begin laying some sound and finding a groove or syncopation.

Check this out, it's in 3/4. It aint done yet, this is just the basic groove but you'll get the idea...

Last edited:
Oscar Camelia said:
Check this out, it's in 3/4. It aint done yet, this is just the basic groove but you'll get the idea...

So 3/4 has that bouncy rounded element to it? Was that new Dre/Kells/50 joint in 3/4 as well because it had a similar bounce.

Oscar Camelia said:

I feel it Im still stuck when I attempt

Technically 3/4 is 6/8 which is easily fit into a simple measure of 4/4. There are hundreds of rap songs that apply 6/8 on the hihat while 4/4 on the bass and snare

^^ what the guy said above...just using triplets. or to count it out in beats its almost like a shuffle but to make it simple

count the beats
| ONE two three FOUR five six |ONE two three FOUR five six |

hi hats on all 6 beats
kick on one
snare on four

It might be easier to count (1 and, 2 and, 3 and) as counting up to 6 can be a bit confusing. 3/4 time can be confusing at first because most music you listen to is in 4/4, but the concept is pretty simple. 4/4 means that there are four quarter notes in a measure. 3/4 means there are 3 quarter notes in a measure.

droo09 said:
It might be easier to count (1 and, 2 and, 3 and) as counting up to 6 can be a bit confusing. 3/4 time can be confusing at first because most music you listen to is in 4/4, but the concept is pretty simple. 4/4 means that there are four quarter notes in a measure. 3/4 means there are 3 quarter notes in a measure.

wow thats confusing but get it a little....im sticking with using 4/4 lol

Oscar Camelia said:
That track is actually in 4/4....3/4 timing can be tricky in mainstream hiphop (more so for the lyricist than the producer). The secret is in finding the right sounds/samples to use.

supaproduca123 said:
wow thats confusing but get it a little....im sticking with using 4/4 lol

24816378.JPG

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Co...-Theory/Michael-Miller/e/9781592574377/?itm=1

I learned a lot from this book; with a little help from a Music Theory class.

i wouldn't use 3/4 if you're producing songs for rappers, most of them are mere lyricists and don't understand 3/4 like the most of you

Lleb said:
Technically 3/4 is 6/8 which is easily fit into a simple measure of 4/4. There are hundreds of rap songs that apply 6/8 on the hihat while 4/4 on the bass and snare
You are as wrong as wrong gets. Different meters are not mixed. And 3/4 is NOT 6/8 even though they are mathematically equivalent. Having 3 quarter notes in a measure be your basis is not the same as having 6 eighth notes be your basis. And you don't mix two different time signatures. Common time and 3/4 meter are two very different things.

But I find it very tricky to produce in 3/4 timing and not just because it's odd meter. It just feels harder.

Back