Question about Octave Doubling?

TDOT

What's good FP?

Just a general question on octave doubling...
Last night I made a dirty south type beat,
I made a nice little melody with a nice dirty south drum pattern.
What I did with the melody was creat 3 tracks.

1. Melody alone
2. Melody with octave doubling (1 octave up)
3. Melody with octave doubling (1 octave up & 1 octave down)

I use Track 1 for the intro as well as for the main part of the verse
I use Track 2 for llast 8 bars of my verse, it gives a feel of build up with doubling 1 ocatve up

My question comes down to my course, is there a rule that the course should be the thickest part of your song or is it best to do so?
I feel like my course sounds kind of week? `

Thanks for that response Kofman
What exactly do you mean by that?
Do you mean like say I have a 16 bar verse, for the last say 2-4 bars thicken the melody with octave doubling and drop the kicks for those last 2-4 bars?

What I have now is
16 bar verse
1st 8 bars Melody Alone
Last 8 bars Melody with Octave doubled upward to thicken it (gives it a good sense of build up)

Could I do 16bar verse
1st 8 bars Melody Alone
Next 6 bars with Octave doubled upward to thicken it
Last 2 bars Melody the thickest with Octaves Doubled and drop the kick drum

My course would be the same as the last 2 bars, very thick but with the kick this time and a few FX
Does that sound about right?

It depends on song man..sometimes dropping all the instruments will work better. If your relying on layering a single instrument in order to create a "thick" sound for your chorus, you need to add to these layers by adding certain notes of new instruments etc.

So are you saying then, to thicken up my course I should maybe add layers of different instruments and play different notes? like little stabs here and there?

BandCoach you the man, you hit it right on the nail.
That post explained it amazing, and when I had a question, u ended up answering it a bit further down the post
Good Looking on this, this is going to be big, can't wait to try them out,
just ojne question, now that I understand the 2 techniques, at which time would it be better to use one or the other?

When do you have duck, when do you have chicken, when do you have turkey?

These are questions that are usually answered by "when we can afford it" or "when the season says we should have it"

Same with your last question when it is appropriate to the music-------

Well I have never have duck...chicken on the reg...and turkey on special occasions lol

Thanks BandCoach

e a rule that the course should be the thickest part of your song or is it best to do so?
I feel like my course sounds kind of week? `

Choruses no rules, making them fatter or thinner it is down to you. Best to know that the only rule is experiment - if you don't you will never work out your style or sound......

Choruses no rules, making them fatter or thinner it is down to you. Best to know that the only rule is experiment - if you don't you will never work out your style or sound......
Man, I was just looking at this thread in passing and you helped me clean up a string piece I was working on. I luv this forum. Respect!

Back