Bass drums for dance. Help please!! :-)

Vic 20: sorry, but I don't see the result in what you did.

If you genuinely meant your inaccurate advice to be of benefit to a point you were making, then it didn't really work as it was pulled up on almost immediately. It was also, by your own admission, detremental as a form of advice to youngsters.

I also do not accept your conclusion that these forums are a waste of time. These forums exist to solidify the community spirit and to divulge knowledge.
If wrong advice is given, then it doesn't take long to find that out, as any experimenting with bad advice will show the flaws within it. Bad advice doesn not go unnoticed, as you saw with your post, so it will get corrected by someone. That in itself is a plus.

If you feel that books and education (which by it's very nature could mean any type of eduction) are the only way forward, plus ears etc.. then you are misguided. For the very same reason that Harley stated that most producers are not willing to risk unveiling their knowledge, in effect, means that the information passed on will be limited and infact wrong. More importantly, books and any type of data will never be enough for someone to learn this art. It needs experience, trial and error, and for every given situation there are a number of ways of reaching the same result. It is this experience that is shared in forums, and what all beginners strive for. Reading the posts in forums from different producers about how they handle a situation, gives the reader a good variety of ways to experiment, and this variety of knowledge and experience is what makes a producer professional.

Of course, you have people that will never impart with knowledge as they feel it to be so valuable that it must be paid for. However, you will invariably find that these types of people have little knowledge. The reason for this is that when you have experience and knowledge, gained through a working resume in this industry, then you can never exhaust the amount of information you have and pass on.

You will always get the types that will come to a newbies forum and try to pretend that they are knowledgable, but it doesn't take long for those types to either be exposed or for them to move on, simply becasue they have not impressed the member base.

The post count and avatar scenario is impressionable for the young ones here, but not something that people put credence to. If you have 3,000 posts of bull****, compared to 300 insightful and informative posts, then the latter will always be respected more.

I understand what is being aired here, but cannot pretend to accept it as the norm here.
I have countless PMs from individuals that I have helped, plus I have tutored a number of people via email at no cost. I find helping and passing on my knowledge the most satisfying part of my vocation. There are many like me. Their selflessness alone warrants having a forum for them to reside in.
Maybe I am a dreamer but I don't think so as the results speak for themselves. I have watched many youngsters here, start out as newbs and go on to advance naturally in this industry.

I am a member of a number of forums. I visit different forums for different reasons. I visit certain forums to have a deep and technical debate with someone and then I will visit forums for complete bull****, where we chat in general. All of these forums exist for their own reasons and all have been a healthy experience for me.

In today's industry, technical knowledge is infinite. You can never pretend to know everything, so there is always something to learn. It is in places like this that we share that knowledge, and it is in our studios that we put it to the test.

That can only be a good thing.

Samplecraze said:

...The post count and avatar scenario is impressionable for the young ones here, but not something that people put credence to. If you have 3,000 posts of bull****, compared to 300 insightful and informative posts, then the latter will always be respected more.

This is NOT true.

Samplecraze, I have ALL THE RESPECT TO YOU, since you're an wise member of this forum. But this statement isn't true at all.

I've started countless threads about serious doubts and get few or no answers. So, I don't start them anymore (well, very often...) and keep with my doubts. If my post counts aren't the main reason, them I can only supose that's my lack of english grammar. So, you can say: "YOU think it's a serious doubt. But it ISN'T a serious doubt." Well, Maybe. But in this case, I can't even get any bashing answer. They simply don't reply, period.

It's very possible you don't even reply me. That's fine. I did make some great friends here, and still think FP is a cool place.

Peace

Harley, if you read my posts, I clearly state that post count and avatars impress the youngsters, but that content will always outweigh quantity. There will always be people who think that post count is impressive, or means that the poster with a huge count must be knowledgable. Once the members stick around and get to know the same poster, they are then able to distinguish post count from post content.
It is sad that some people put credence to this, but after a while they find their feet and are in a better position to distinguish content from quantity.

Samplecraze said:
Vic 20: sorry, but I don't see the result in what you did.

If you genuinely meant your inaccurate advice to be of benefit to a point you were making, then it didn't really work as it was pulled up on almost immediately. It was also, by your own admission, detremental as a form of advice to youngsters.

I also do not accept your conclusion that these forums are a waste of time. These forums exist to solidify the community spirit and to divulge knowledge.
If wrong advice is given, then it doesn't take long to find that out, as any experimenting with bad advice will show the flaws within it. Bad advice doesn not go unnoticed, as you saw with your post, so it will get corrected by someone. That in itself is a plus.

If you feel that books and education (which by it's very nature could mean any type of eduction) are the only way forward, plus ears etc.. then you are misguided. For the very same reason that Harley stated that most producers are not willing to risk unveiling their knowledge, in effect, means that the information passed on will be limited and infact wrong. More importantly, books and any type of data will never be enough for someone to learn this art. It needs experience, trial and error, and for every given situation there are a number of ways of reaching the same result. It is this experience that is shared in forums, and what all beginners strive for. Reading the posts in forums from different producers about how they handle a situation, gives the reader a good variety of ways to experiment, and this variety of knowledge and experience is what makes a producer professional.

Of course, you have people that will never impart with knowledge as they feel it to be so valuable that it must be paid for. However, you will invariably find that these types of people have little knowledge. The reason for this is that when you have experience and knowledge, gained through a working resume in this industry, then you can never exhaust the amount of information you have and pass on.

You will always get the types that will come to a newbies forum and try to pretend that they are knowledgable, but it doesn't take long for those types to either be exposed or for them to move on, simply becasue they have not impressed the member base.

The post count and avatar scenario is impressionable for the young ones here, but not something that people put credence to. If you have 3,000 posts of bull****, compared to 300 insightful and informative posts, then the latter will always be respected more.

I understand what is being aired here, but cannot pretend to accept it as the norm here.
I have countless PMs from individuals that I have helped, plus I have tutored a number of people via email at no cost. I find helping and passing on my knowledge the most satisfying part of my vocation. There are many like me. Their selflessness alone warrants having a forum for them to reside in.
Maybe I am a dreamer but I don't think so as the results speak for themselves. I have watched many youngsters here, start out as newbs and go on to advance naturally in this industry.

I am a member of a number of forums. I visit different forums for different reasons. I visit certain forums to have a deep and technical debate with someone and then I will visit forums for complete bull****, where we chat in general. All of these forums exist for their own reasons and all have been a healthy experience for me.

In today's industry, technical knowledge is infinite. You can never pretend to know everything, so there is always something to learn. It is in places like this that we share that knowledge, and it is in our studios that we put it to the test.

That can only be a good thing.
'

I can vouch for that and commend samplecraze.. he has always been very helpful, even to the most newbiest of them all... In addition, he has taken time to write countless tutorials on both synthesis and sampling, answer e-mails, reply to posts at no cost, while never being arrogant about it or pretending to know everything.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Ricardo

Last edited by a moderator:
Back