Reign of Fools - F4F

EnviZion

Not sure about the bells for the chorus on this one, so I wonder what ya'll think. Any other feedback, good or constructive, is much appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/envizion-1/reign-of-fools

Last edited:
Saturation is a part of hip hop production, n i tink it cud help out dis track alot, it sounds 2clean imo. But i do dig it if dat was ur intent.

Baltimore is about 5 hours for me. A day trip. I've got a really good friend of mine in Baltimore who has rapped for all his life and has been producing for about 5 years now.

Thanks for the feedback. Returned.

Thanks so much for your feed on my track bro; I am here to return it!

I like all the different musical elements in here man - good piano groove, nice little synth countermelody, good shuffle in the hats, and the string pad is nice too. I think all the musical elements are there, but I agree that from a mix perspective I would maybe "dirty" it up a bit. Just to give it more attitude. I think saturation would help all the elements sound "fatter" and just really make it sound like it has more depth to the mix. I would try that and then consider adding some layers in for the drums just to fatten them as well.

Really solid groove and good sounds! Maybe it's just me that likes them dirty :P. Don't take my word for it!

Keep it up - good work! Cheers bro!

I like the melody in the beat definitely. The drums do seem a tad bland/thin, especially the snare. Try layering sounds and adding a bit of reverb with a blend of a clap too? The melody and bass is really good. The real criticism is just the drums, but that can be fixed with layering more than anything else imo

Thanks for the feedback. The weakness of my snares is an issue I'm trying to fix without too much digital interplay. I usually layer a pair of snares at slightly different frequencies and sometimes pair a rim shot. The kicks are tripled up on this one.

Any good tips on ways to saturate without plugins? I'm not necessarily opposed to plugin effects and logic has a pretty good bitcruncher that can work like a tube or tape saturation plugin.

Even given hip-hop's analog roots, I still focus on crisp sound but I agree that my percussion in particular is missing the added emphasis.

I'm about at the max compression without really starting to muddle the bass.

Truly appreciate the feedback. It at least gives me quite a few things to look at experimenting with.

Good. Kinda sounds like the drums and piano are playing on top of the rest of the track though. Also, the piano's really constant, I wouldn't pan it so far to the side or I would have a constant instrument on the left to balance it.

Digging the vibes, would've liked to see some more reverb used in there like what other people have said. It's sounding too "clean". But overall I like it.

one thing i would suggest is working on sound design too keep your sound fresh im always trying to get my synths to do something ive never heard or something that inspires me. i would say 99% of the songs ive made stared with me just turning knobs. i like the musicality of it just needs some fresh sounds.

Back