Is my new club beat dope??

Zacobe

Obe1Cannoli
Just finished this club beat last night. It's the final mix. I know the vocals might not be the perfect fit vibe-wise but they were the best out the of the bunch I auditioned. Let me know what you think about this beat. All aspects of it. Do you like it? Would you play it? Hows the arrangement? The mix? Honest feeback please, you're not going to hurt my feelings. No need to sugarcoat anything with me. Thanks in advance.

p.s. the scratches were done by DJ Anarky. He killed it.

Personally, I would not play this as a DJ. I'd be giving it the whole Dave Chappelle face in the "2Pac's still alive" skit if I heard this in the club.

tupac-i-wrote-this-song-in-94-with-video-dave-chappelle.png

I'd probably stay on the dance floor if this came on though, it's an improvement on the stuff that's usually played in my local clubs.

It definitely has that whole "Get Low" sort of vibe vocally, especially around the 1.30 mark. However, I'd say for this to be a dope club joint, it should have been a bit slower. Something dudes can two step to - only dance move that allows guys to look okay on a dance floor.

Additionally, it should have had a solo, deep bass synth instead of the high pitched synth. Sounds in the high end of the frequency spectrum would not be heard in a club.

Hope I've helped,
Jordan

Last edited:
Personally, I would not play this as a DJ. I'd be giving it the whole Dave Chappelle face in the "2Pac's still alive" skit if I heard this in the club.

I'd probably stay on the dance floor if this came on though, it's an improvement on the stuff that's usually played in my local clubs.

It definitely has that whole "Get Low" sort of vibe vocally, especially around the 1.30 mark. However, I'd say for this to be a dope club joint, it should have been a bit slower. Something dudes can two step to - only dance move that allows guys to look okay on a dance floor.

Additionally, it should have had a solo, deep bass synth instead of the high pitched synth. Sounds in the high end of the frequency spectrum would not be heard in a club.

Hope I've helped,
Jordan

Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm starting to wonder if my taste is outdated.. I'm in my 30's so I think my creativity comes from a different generation, as you mentioned with the get low vibe. I didn't really think about the synth tone.. I'm making this stuff in my living room on small speakers, didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for the perspective. I may have to just listen to the new stuff over and over to get my mind in the new era. Thanks again.

Hey man

I like the song overall, and its mixed real well. You definitely know what you're doing in that the department. I think the vocals work and i really dig the scratching. I listened with my headphones, and through my speakers and seems like it needs more bass if you want this to be a modern club banger. Something to get the booties movin. Basically more boom, and it doesn't need to be slowed down imo.

It definitely has an early 2000s vibe and isn't something I would play if I were to DJ, jus cuz its not the type of stuff i'm into. As it is now I could see this being played at a hip hop bar or small venue. Just not a large club.

its definately club all the way. I dig it, the retro vibe is where music existed. dont stop bro

Thanks for the feed!

Hey man

I like the song overall, and its mixed real well. You definitely know what you're doing in that the department. I think the vocals work and i really dig the scratching. I listened with my headphones, and through my speakers and seems like it needs more bass if you want this to be a modern club banger. Something to get the booties movin. Basically more boom, and it doesn't need to be slowed down imo.

It definitely has an early 2000s vibe and isn't something I would play if I were to DJ, jus cuz its not the type of stuff i'm into. As it is now I could see this being played at a hip hop bar or small venue. Just not a large club.

You know the boom part pissed me off.. The production draft I had, the boom was low and deep.. but after I started mixing it and trying to get the levels manageable I somehow lost the 30hz/40z range.. I tried EQ, RBass, MAxxBass, saturators, I could not get it back. My guess is I would have to remix the whole thing and build the song around the kick and bass, and I just dont have the energy to put into this track anymore. I'm glad you noticed it though, that means my head is in the right place. And I like I told the first commenter, I think my creativity is stuck in the 2000s era.. I gotta get with the times somehow. Thanks for the honest feedback.

I actually think your problem may be because you're stuck between your inspiration and trying to sound modern. There's still a market for the older stuff. Get Low still gets played in the clubs I go to...

Personally, if it was more along the lines of a 00's Hip Hop track, I'd have been very much in to it.

At the end of the day, create the music YOU want to create. If you want to create stuff from the early noughties, go for it. I can guarantee it'll all fit in to place for you. I imagine you're quite experienced in music so you probably already know what I've just said, but it's important to make the music you love... Not what you think other people will like.

Cheers,
Jordan

I actually think your problem may be because you're stuck between your inspiration and trying to sound modern. There's still a market for the older stuff. Get Low still gets played in the clubs I go to...

Personally, if it was more along the lines of a 00's Hip Hop track, I'd have been very much in to it.

At the end of the day, create the music YOU want to create. If you want to create stuff from the early noughties, go for it. I can guarantee it'll all fit in to place for you. I imagine you're quite experienced in music so you probably already know what I've just said, but it's important to make the music you love... Not what you think other people will like.

Cheers,
Jordan

I understand what you're saying, but to be honest my desire is really to make music other people like lol. If I want to hear music I like I'll just press play on my phone. I want to make good music and have others think so too; I want the recognition. Problem is I've seen a lot of the inside stuff of the music industry and you really have to keep up with the times or you'll get left behind. Sure there's a market for old school stuff, but it's like, 1 station on the radio lol. The majority of the 2000's club artists aren't in anymore.. you don't see them touring and making money because the sound has changed.

It's all good though. If I really want it bad enough maybe I'll find a way to mix the old with the new. That's kind of why I added the scratches in the track.. you don't really hear that anymore. I just needed a little bit more of the new lol.

It sounds a little dated, but that's not a bad thing. This track is actually dope. Kinda sounds like "Get Low" in some parts. Don't know if this would be a club banger in 2015, but this song would definitely in some TV shows. Try to get them licensed.

Sounds like a good radio record. Nice job on the mastering. Synths sound good.

Thank you sir, that's what I was going for. Actually it's not really "mastered".. just some detailed processing on the master buss. EQ, stereo imaging, and light limiting.

It sounds a little dated, but that's not a bad thing. This track is actually dope. Kinda sounds like "Get Low" in some parts. Don't know if this would be a club banger in 2015, but this song would definitely in some TV shows. Try to get them licensed.

Well it kind of is a problem that it's dated.. I'm looking to make widely popular commercial stuff. This one came out just a little to old. But maybe I can get some value out of it somehow. Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds in the high end of the frequency spectrum would not be heard in a club.

HUH!!! What clubs you go in? or do you just sit the bass bins? Although, the lead here is a bit buried in the mix, possibly intentional.

Mix comments from me, You need the bass to hit harder, using Talk Dirty as a commercial mix reference your kick doesn't hit hard enough to be current, it definitely has that 00's feel, i'd of played it then but not now. Having the low bass line you have would make it a problem to get the extra low frequencies under the kick so no idea how it would work any different from how you've done it. Snare was a tiny lil bit too loud for me and that lead would be a bit further forward but they're just mix choices not wrongs and rights.

Musically, it works. Good stuff.

Last edited:
I somehow lost the 30hz/40z range.. I tried EQ, RBass, MAxxBass, saturators, I could not get it back.
and here's why, non of those things will bring you back Bass in those regions. My understanding is they give you upper harmonics, not lower. Max bass etc will look at your lower harmony and apply higher up ones to match, this is ideal for making the bass of a club style track stand out on radio etc, playback mediums not capable of going that low, not vice versa!!!

If you are dealing with phase issues causing the cancellation, EQ could be making it worse and boosting won't necessarily bring it back, especially if both the waves cancelling are boosted. I've often heard "You can't boost what's not there" so don't be afraid to whip open a synth and draw in a super low sine wave, you might not be able to hear it much but you will feel it. Mess around with phase knob, sylenth1 perfect for this.

And I like I told the first commenter, I think my creativity is stuck in the 2000s era.. I gotta get with the times somehow. Thanks for the honest feedback.
That can be a good thing, music goes round in circles, look how big the 90's house sound has been over the past few months.

Last edited:
HUH!!! What clubs you go in? or do you just sit the bass bins? Although, the lead here is a bit buried in the mix, possibly intentional.

I presume you meant sit by the bass bins? No, I don't lol.

Have you ever been in a busy club? If you want a club hit, 9 times out of 10 you want to have the lead as a low freq/bass synth. Something that actually travels further than the walls of the room you're in.

Even in a upmarket night club you'll struggle to hear the high frequencies of a track. Why? Clubs usually EQ to boost the bass to near-inaudible levels to bring people through the door and other marketing reasons. But you probably already know that...

I admit the "You will not hear high end" may be a bit OTT, but it's not something you'll notice in clubs as much as the bass. And for a track that lacks such bass, it's going to be a very odd (mainstream) club beat.

i really like it but it def sounds slightly dated. which i personally like. the newer kinda sound has a lot more focus on lead synth than this track does, but really there isn't anything wrong with an older sound. the mix is fantastic -- if you're going for an older sound -- but if you're aiming for a newer sound the keys looping during the verses should be way louder.

i would play it -- but if you really are aiming for it to get played a lot then i would go for a newer sound. like i said before the newer sound, more than anything, is just having those background keys and lead synths louder. they shouldn't be above the vocals of course but a little above the drums.

Who gives a **** if it doesn't sound like everything else out right now?

If the music sounds good i'll dig it. I dig it. And as a DJ as well, I would have no problem playing this at certain venues.

Maybe next time don't come in so strong. Piece that ish together with layers for a build.

Give us DJ's something to work with!

Lmao the first dude's comment was mad funny. But yo, I don't even like club music but this was surprisingly dope lol. I could bump this even though I'm more into lyrical hip-hop and stuff. The beat is really catchy, and I don't even agree with you when you say the lyrics threw off the vibe. Not even trying to sugar coat it either. Keep it up.

I presume you meant sit by the bass bins? No, I don't lol.

Have you ever been in a busy club? If you want a club hit, 9 times out of 10 you want to have the lead as a low freq/bass synth. Something that actually travels further than the walls of the room you're in.

Even in a upmarket night club you'll struggle to hear the high frequencies of a track. Why? Clubs usually EQ to boost the bass to near-inaudible levels to bring people through the door and other marketing reasons. But you probably already know that...

I admit the "You will not hear high end" may be a bit OTT, but it's not something you'll notice in clubs as much as the bass. And for a track that lacks such bass, it's going to be a very odd (mainstream) club beat.

With out derailing this thread too much what your saying is kind of missjointed truth and understanding.

Although a lead may be matched/layered with a low frequency sub, the lead will still have lots of mid frequencies. Sub is nothing more than a rumble with out higher frequencies to match it. If you want something to be punchy it needs them. Think of a punchy kick, it's the fast transition from higher to lower frequency in the initial attack that makes it exactly that. I'm interested in hearing these only low frequency as a lead tracks.

In no venue should you struggle to hear the high frequencies. Some venues don't have room fill so unless you're on the dance floor with the speakers pointing at you, thanks to the omni directional nature of bass, yes you're right, bass is what you will mainly hear. Some venues rely on the bleed from the dance floor to cover other areas. These are badly designed venues and good engineers work hard to get round this. In a busier night club you might get pushed into corridors, areas not covered, corners (bass build up in corners) and lets not forget the more bodies in a venue the more the higher frequencies are absorbed (turned into heat). Again engineers work hard to combat all this, carefully placing extra speakers with the correct delay times and horn dispersion.

Yes clubs EQ the bass louder or have more power (amp/speakers) in that region. Void Acoustics recommend a 10db boost as a starting point in their system installation guides. However, Set a system for an old 00's club rap tune to have lots of bass and if a DJ already riding the system mixes in Talk Dirty, with out turning the bass knob on the DJ mixer down, expect to lose a bass bin or 2.

Think your wording should of been, "Have you ever been in a busy club? If you want a club hit, 9 times out of 10 you want your lead to have a low freq/bass synth. Something that actually travels further than the walls of the room you're in". Then I would agree with you, lol! Apart from the alternative, the sub under the kick and no bass in the lead at all.

Back to this track, yes it needs more Bass to be a current club rap track.

One last point, you feel the lower frequencies of the bass, it's the higher frequencies of the bass that you're actually hearing, it's the combination of both in balance that makes it so f'n nice!!! Turn off the mid tops in a club, all you'll hear is the place rattling itself to bits, bottles on the bar, door frames, light fittings, anything not firmly joined/clamped/sealed.

Back