Daffy - Rokoko (EDM/Techno)​

nicednice

Hi Guys!:victory:

I made this in Bitwig, it took me a week including mastering. This is my second attempt at mastering myself so i really want to know what you think.

Thanks for sharing Daffy! There's a pretty cool atmosphere surrounding the track. Its pretty cool overall. I don't listen to EDM as much as I used to so maybe its just me, but maybe the synth instruments can be slightly quieter, but really cool track besides that.

The mastering sounds pretty solid through my speakers. I'd maybe turn up the drums though so they're more prominent (although that's more in the mixing phase). I thought there was a slight bit of muddiness in the lower mid/upper bass (maybe like 200-400hz). It might be worth experimenting with a subtle cut there (1db or less) and slight boost below 200hz to balance it out. Just an idea, not sure if that would help or not but it could be useful... Regardless, it sounds great. Nice work man!

The mastering sounds pretty solid through my speakers. I'd maybe turn up the drums though so they're more prominent (although that's more in the mixing phase). I thought there was a slight bit of muddiness in the lower mid/upper bass (maybe like 200-400hz). It might be worth experimenting with a subtle cut there (1db or less) and slight boost below 200hz to balance it out. Just an idea, not sure if that would help or not but it could be useful... Regardless, it sounds great. Nice work man!

Thank You for your feedback The Funk Junkie! I think you are right about the drums i wish i made them 1 db louder now i cant stop hearing it:bigeyes: especially the snare and hats net to cut through more. Do you only use eq? ive been hearing i should use multiband compression on the masterbus to tame the low - mids.

Btw i cant believe you worked with Ab rude!! I wrote a whole text in english class about "she's always right" dissecting the lyrics. I remember my teacher liking the song too hehe. "slow lights" is another favorite

Haha yeah the drums are always tough to get balanced right. I normally adjust and readjust a million times before I settle on a final mix, it's tedious. As far as the eq, there's not really one perfect solution. If there's a lot of elements involved a multiband will help maintain the sound as elements go in and out. Personally though, I've always preferred to just use eq to make a slight (super subtle) cut in that range when needed. Sometimes on a couple individual tracks but sometimes on the master instead. Whatever works you know?

That's dope that you chose that track to dissect. I've always been a big Ab Rude fan, particularly the Haiku D'etat albums. I was pretty lucky to work with him on a track, I'm hoping to get more opportunities in the future we'll see!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Daffy! There's a pretty cool atmosphere surrounding the track. Its pretty cool overall. I don't listen to EDM as much as I used to so maybe its just me, but maybe the synth instruments can be slightly quieter, but really cool track besides that.

Thank you!
yeah, Im deffinately going to think about that when i make the next song. the drums should be louder and more clear

Hi,

For a second attempt at mastering, this is really good. The mix is solid and levelled pretty well, with maybe an exception being the drums (specifically the snare) which could be slightly more punchy and tighter. I would also remove some of the bass/low mid frequencies (between about 200-300Hz) just to remove some of the muddiness, and I would bring out the high frequencies a bit more (you could use a harmonic exciter or just a simple high shelf boost in an EQ).

Other than those small criticisms, I think this track is very cool.

Good luck.

Feedback appreciated on my track: Jack Dallas - 'Love' - UK Garage/2 Step - Feedback Appreciated

Last edited:
Back