What was the first record you sampled?

Arkaic

For me, it's Dr. John - Gris Gris, which I'm recording right now :D

I finally got my new iMac, so I'm just recording the whole vinyl into garageband as I browse the internet. Then I'll go back, cut out the parts I like, bring them into Recycle, slice em, then import and use in Reason. What was your first record (if you remember) ?

I think my'n was either a Fleetwood Mac song or Curtis Mayfield - 'Back To The World'.

This will be quite an intesting thread, seeing what what people flipped first ha ha.

SP

mine wasn't a record- i sampled the engine efx from the matrix.. ya know the neberka-whatever

my first song was a 2 minute sample of a ray chalres song with a drum and snare on top. i thought it was the greastest beat i ever made.

Al Green - Always and forever. It was the worst beat you will ever hear in your life. And that's saying a lot because Laffy Taffy exists. Lol.

im pretty sure mine was from my first record which was a wilson pickett lp

the first thing i tried to sample was the strings from elenor rigby by the beats but it was the worst sampled thing you will ever hear. i didnt count beats or nothing haha.

Mine was joan armatrading-I feel so lonely or something like that. I didn't know that I could get more specific chops in Logic by holding down alt. that beat sucked

The only sampled beat I ever finished- The Velvet Underground-Venus in Furs

Interpolations- Kittie-Brackish

The first 10 seconds of "Me and Mrs. Jones" by Billy Paul. I cut **** up and it was GARBAGE! But I took some time with it and made it sound ok. I still got it in my arsenal. Now that I got a drum machine I'm gonna mess wit it again.

First I sampled was from the movie Scarface........ "I never ****ed anyboy over in my life that didn't have it comin to em you got that??"

I named the song My Word lol....... it fit I think.... I still got it up on myspace http://www.myspace.com/mrbeatsmith

Correction it was Ozzy/Black Sabbath....... Ironman. I think it was quite nice if I do say so myself....for a very first beat??? I might have to dig that outta the closet.

Last edited:
the first drum beats i sampled was the "jungle beat" from the hammerhead beatbox and the drums from offspring - pay the man. of course i wouldn't sample that nowadays.

the first (other) instruments i sampled a lot later, i think the first was an electric guitar from the computer game "Destruction Derby". followed by some samples from my sister's rock cd's like accept and the likes.

man, the beginning is always rather awkward...

I dont remember the exact record, but it was a Honeycomb track. I had JUST learned how to work Fruity Loops like the night before, so I had these Honeycomb songs on my comp and figured I'd try my magic. At the time I thought it was heatrock, but with anything I do, I could produce "Im Ready" or "Get By" today and in 5 months make something new and think Im Ready or Get By are some of the worst beats I ever heard.

Actually i just did my first successful (doesn't mean it's any good) sampled song a couple days ago. I sampled and chopped the intro from the song "La Bamba". It really sucks though.

Back