Whats wrong with sampling new shit?

fun fact:

the sugarhill gang sampled "good times" by chic.

good times was released in 1979.

rapper's delight was released in 1979-wait..what? that means "good times" was sampled less than a year after it was released, which means..it was current when it was sampled.. :bigeyes:

so what's wrong with sampling new sh*t?

nothing.

lately I've been sampling newly released compilations of old foreign music, So i'm not sure if thats considered new shit or not, but still dope to me. Also I haven't done so, but I think if I find like an unknown band or song maybe I'd sample it, or try get in contacts with them and maybe colab. Only thing I'd stay away from 100% is new shit thats popular and been on radio. But everything else I'd at least consider, if its dope of course.

I think the reason I don't sample new music is because most new music sucks. 1) there are a lot less artists out there now a days playing the kind of music that I would ever want to sample and 2) there's an aesthetic difference in the recording styles of older music and newer music. To me, older recordings just have a much warmer, personalized sound. New recordings are too clean for my liking, leaves everything feeling cold and impersonal.

This is not to say I've never sampled new music, I have, but only for a few drum hits here and there.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

fun fact:

the sugarhill gang sampled "good times" by chic.

good times was released in 1979.

rapper's delight was released in 1979-wait..what? that means "good times" was sampled less than a year after it was released, which means..it was current when it was sampled.. :bigeyes:

so what's wrong with sampling new sh*t?

nothing.

I don't think that really applies honestly. Part of Rapper's Delights appeal probably sprung out of knowing what the original song was, since both were big hits. Most fans back in the day knew what was going on I'm sure. So I'd liken it more to the mash-up type deal that's going on today. It's appealing to our collective knowledge of one song while putting a "new" spin on it. But it's definitely not the same thing as the kind of sampling we're all discussing, in my opinion.

sample anything and everything that is dope. TV commercials, vinyls, songs, speak and spell.. anything that makes noise can be a new sound. have no prejudice.. if you say "I'm not going to do this, or do that" you are limiting yourself before you even try.

ya if it sounds tight it sounds tight. who cares what year it is? my roommate is kinda like that, if its on the radio, or been out recently, or even popular he stays away from it. It might make sense if he had to get them cleared, but he doesn't sell and will usually pitch shift reverse and chop half seconds so I guess he thinks its wack or hes crazy

The goal is to make something you can call your own. The tools you use (including samples) shouldn't matter as the long as the end result is original.

Back