Do you sample 90's music?

Yes, I sample 90's, but more 60's, 70's and sometimes 80's. It's more about what you like tho.
Old samples have more soul and are good for old school. Keep listening to 90's music, and if you find something that you wish to manipulate or that you identify yourself with, try it. Good Luck.

They always sound so programmed and digitized to me.

I usually chop them up well instead of running loops. I would link you to one of the joints but seeing as I just registered. I can't drop links anywhere yet.

Man I JUST started Getting into 90's acid jazz,Trip hop stuff just looking for breaks and I've gotten Gold !!!! I dont like anything Else sample wise in the era that new jack sound is terrible

then why are u making it?

I meant to say I hate to sample music made from drum machines and synths. Technically since I use FL Studio I dont use a drum machine so ha! Anyway, the point is I dont want to sample a drum machine to make music on a "drum machine". My era of choice is the 70s because they were playing drum sets.

Holla

Last edited:
Man I JUST started Getting into 90's acid jazz,Trip hop stuff just looking for breaks and I've gotten Gold !!!! I dont like anything Else sample wise in the era that new jack sound is terrible

Most of the new jack swing stuff wasn't sampled. It was drum machines made to emulate drum breaks and keyboardists playing keys over them. A big rnb movement from like 88-93. I loved New Jack Swing personally.

I have a similar rule; nothing later than 89', but I also have an exception which is similar to what Nicro said; if it's unknown enough, do it. For exampled that Mac Miller track 'Donald Trump' was a 2011 sample.

Last edited:
I have a similar rule; nothing later than 89', but I also have an exception which is similar to what Nicro said; if it's unknown enough, do it. For exampled that Mac Miller track 'Donald Trump' was a 2011 sample.

curious are you a 90s baby? just wonder because its funny to hear people now say nothing after 89. When I started following production in 1999 the rule was nothing after 79. Of course not everyone followed that rule but a lot of people did. Back in the 90s at least people were trying to get the real instrument sounds. Music on a mainstream and hip hop level were not super synthy like it is now. Synths were all over the place in the 80s but that had to do more with money and technology at the time I think. Synths were reletively cheap and easier to use and less limiting than learning a guitar.

In my day it was nothing after '78. I wanted to kick Jermaine Dupri's ass back in the day. Don't get me started with Puff Daddy.

I personally sample anything. If it sounds good, why limit yourself. Its ridiculous to just stick to one style or era of music. I once sampled a Shoegaze band from the 90s and it sounded great.

Back