Apollo Brown

Apollo's definitely one of my favorites at the moment. Daily Bread was on constant rotation for pretty much a week after it dropped not too long ago.

Alright, i don't want to read any more Dilla comparisons here, because it's like comparing Chris Paul with Dwight Howard.
Both are good for different reasons.

When I heard you put Clouds over Donuts I had to go hear Clouds immediately. I wasn't expecting to hear something better than Donuts but atleast something in that same area. Clouds is not on that level in my opinion. Apollo Brown is cool though...

When I heard you put Clouds over Donuts I had to go hear Clouds immediately. I wasn't expecting to hear something better than Donuts but atleast something in that same area. Clouds is not on that level in my opinion. Apollo Brown is cool though...

I suspected that would be controversial saying that but again it's just my honest opinion.

Clouds is a 27 track instrumental album entirely crafted with meticulous boom bap goodness.
Donuts is a good album but each track is completely hit or miss.

How many dope songs are really on Donuts?
Waves, Mash, Time Donut of the Heart, Gobstopper, Hi, Bye, Last Donut of the Night. Remember it's a 31 track album.

Don't misconstrue. Jay Dee is a legend and extremely well respected and well deserved; but track for track Clouds is the superior instrumental album IMO. Donuts is clearly more experimental if that's your thing but I am referring strictly to overall boom bap goodness.

Last edited:
I suspected that would be controversial saying that but again it's just my honest opinion.

I can dig it. You respect Dilla but you think Apollo Brown is that issue. We all have our likes and dislikes. One producer who I think is dope who doesn't get a lot of recognition is Thes One. He's got one instrumental album out (that I know of), called Lifestyle Marketing and it's pretty good but, the beats he does for his group People Under the Stairs are dope.

donuts is miles a head of clouds because of the vast emotional places it reaches and the way dilla manipulates samples creatively. the only thing creative are new about Apollo Browns production is that he fades in each chop, other than that he has brought nothing new to the table. Most of the beats on clouds are the same bpm and have same drum pattern. each donut is different and dilla did things with the samples that im still trying to figure out

Last edited:
donuts is miles a head of clouds because of the vast emotional places it reaches and the way dilla manipulates samples creatively. the only thing creative are new about Apollo Browns production is that he fades in each chop, other than that he has brought nothing new to the table. Most of the beats on clouds are the same bpm and have same drum pattern. each donut is different and dilla did things with the samples that im still trying to figure out

Who said anything about bringing something new to the table? Why can't you just be dope and make boom bap bangers lol. It's not about how obscure the samples were manipulated it's about the overall dopeness. What does most beats having the same BPM have to do anything? Most cars have 4 wheels too... lol. I can spit on the entire Clouds album. The majority of donuts would sound dumb if I laid a verse on it and that is the point. as far as BOOM BAP Clouds is obviously doper. Donuts is the better abstract experimental album but it is not riddle with boom bap bangers. This is important because boom bap or die is my movement.

Last edited:
To me clouds and donuts are two completely different albums Donuts is crazy because the way dilla flips the samples and clouds to me is more of a meaning of life record. Dilla and Apollo are two very different producers. You should get off this topic on which album is better both are dope this is a apollo brown appreciation thread not who's better.

The value of "Clouds" and "Donuts", like all other music (and everything else that exists), is subjective. You can't say that either is better because you cannot be right or wrong. "Right", "Wrong", "Good", "Shitty", etc. are ideas that derive their value solely from the author.

Whether you like "Clouds" or "Donuts" better, I can assure you that their are thousands of people that will swear on their life that those albums are dog shit compared to Lil' Wayne's Gangsta Grillz Part 2 Mixtape. Are they wrong? No. Are they right? No. Therefore, a debate of "Clouds" vs. "Donuts" is moot.

Bump both

Clouds is a way better album than Donuts.

I still think Dilla is a better producer than Apollo Brown though cause Dilla had beats much better than those on Donuts.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Tempo is usually around 90 BPM with boom-bap beats so thats a good thing from Apollo Brown.
he does use the same type of drumpatterns all the time which knock hard! i love them
he has great drums. his soundquality is real good.

These are all good answers.

I just feel like this dude is immensely consistent. I don't know anybody doing boom bap like Apollo right now except maybe Mr. Green and Statik.

Every beat I peep is disgusting.
For example:

This joint should come with a mandatory neck brace!

In this vid he talks about simple drum patterns but always making them knock which is essential to me. I don't need crazy patterns for boom bap gold, just thumpers. His studio setup is simple too. Looks like Acid?

Back