Timbaland is a bum as far as being a businessman.

It's way harder than most can ever imagine because you are responsible for every facet of the business unlike a 9 to 5 where you can let go once you leave the job and let the owner worry about it.

You do realize that by "business", nobody means a "self-made man with a tire shop" at the corner, right? So no, Mark Zuckerberg is not responsible for reprogramming the iOS7 messenger for Facebook or designing the new datacenters.
And most "businesses" you talk about, where the owner has to "worry about" the company are run by people you "chuckle" at.

It's not like you can keep pulling cash out of your azz to finance each business idea too. No one's gonna keep giving you money to finance your ideas so you have limited opportunities to make it happen. That's why many celebrities are unable to just keep creating companies that many assume are so easy to run and make a profit. Some foolishly convince themselves that they would of course be different.

Yes, you can keep pulling money out of your ass or somebody else's ass, because the number one rule is not to invest your own money into your own business. And by "business", I mean seed rounds of 500k-5m and Round As of 10-20-30m Dollars and not your "self-made man's tire shop". According to start ups, 1 out of 20 businesses is even profitable, so ask Forbes how come they know the answers, while the number of millionaires/billionaires and Venture Capitalists is growing? SMH

And no, neither Jimmy Iovine, nor Dr.Dre know exactly how the drivers in their headphones work and NO, they didn't invent headphones either. No, they are not even the ones who own the company who produces them. It's unnecessary. Nobody is talking about Shaquille O'Neal starting a fashion line for people above 6'6". lol

Those people are glorified PR-heads.

And yes, while we are at it, just because Jay Z supposedly owned 0.5% of an NBA team, doesn't make him its sole owner...............Ashton Kutcher didn't need to invent Twitter and JT didn't invent MySpace.

Twitter doesn't even need a business model. The business model is clear: license data for real-time search queries (for example, politics "barometers" and surveys). Ask CNN.

And nope, as far as investments goes, I am talking about reasonably rich young artists/musicians/people in sports investing their millions into businesses/start ups they are interested in because of their education/hobbies and not self-centered pricks like Kanye, who think they can become the best in everything, 'cause his mommy taught him so. SMH

Yes, you can keep pulling money out of your ass or somebody else's ass, because the number one rule is not to invest your own money into your own business. And by "business", I mean seed rounds of 500k-5m and Round As of 10-20-30m Dollars and not your "self-made man's tire shop". According to start ups, 1 out of 20 businesses is even profitable, so ask Forbes how come they know the answers, while the number of millionaires/billionaires and Venture Capitalists is growing? SMH

1 out of 20. What's that 5 Percent? That means 95% failed. At least Forbes, quoted a 20% success rate. Put yourself in the place of investors. If a celebrity has a track record of failed businesses, would you continously give him start up capital? Look at Spike Lee, he cant get investors to fund his movies and he has a proven track record. He was forced to go to Kickstarter. I'm a firm believer in the fact you get a few opportunities of a lifetime and you have to be really prepared when that opportunity does finally present itself. Let's take Dame Dash as an example. Where are all the investors flocking to him to duplicate his success at Rocafella? Master P? Irv Gotti?

Last edited:
His discography will pay him for life...

Maybe he wants to sit on VA Beach and listen to radio stations play Aaliyah, Missy, and JT... and laugh at people still hustling....

I'm from VA, we some lazy mf's... where's Teddy Riley's headphones...

I think it is because what he likes to do is make music and work in the studio and that is his main thing. He put out a bunch of records this year and toured. He has plenty of money, so he doesnt really care about those ventures. I would do the same. how much money do you really need?

His discography will pay him for life...

Maybe he wants to sit on VA Beach and listen to radio stations play Aaliyah, Missy, and JT... and laugh at people still hustling....

I'm from VA, we some lazy mf's... where's Teddy Riley's headphones...

People forget that Timbaland was THE highest paid producer at one time. . .maybe like a 4-5 year stretch. So if this dude was getting 500 G's for a beat all he had to do was sell ten and that was it for him. Then on top of that his publishing from back in the day AND now???

I think it's funny that after the year Timbaland had(almost full production on two of the biggest Pop & Rap albums) FP will say he's a bum. It took business acumen to recognize that he needed to produce those albums.

its not his job to be a business innovator ... it definitely would help to at least hire someone who is, but that's not his job ... he seems to be doing quite alright right now. He's the main producer on the biggest projects right now JT, Jay-Z, Beyonce and he's signed to Roc Nation so he has the access to their stable

I was thinking about this and I think Timbaland is actually pretty smart about his business.

Think about it, he didn't run out and start branding tons of crap with his name and do a ton of product endorsements in an attempt to make himself more relevant than he was. Instead he continued to put out a solid product for...according to Wiki since the early 90's which makes it 20+ years now of being relevant and fresh without being played out.

Those jumping to the front putting their name to everything under the sun will (with few exceptions) be forgotten in less than ten years...and here is Tim still being referred to with an almost reverence in the production and overall in the music world as a top notch producer.

Timbaland is not a businessman therefore you can't judge how good a businessman he is.

He is a producer.

IDK how relevant this is but isn't Timbaland a little f*cked up in the head or something?

Like manic depressive, or something of that sort, hence a few years ago he was gonna commit suicide or something?

IDK how relevant this is but isn't Timbaland a little f*cked up in the head or something?

Like manic depressive, or something of that sort, hence a few years ago he was gonna commit suicide or something?

Nervous breakdown.

Can happen if your life isn't the good half of a Disney movie.

I never really got into timbo beats.. I mean, there good, but not WOW type good. that's just me though..

I always thought dude was untouchable production wise... still think he is but he was producing a lot of iffy stuff for a few years. The new Timberlake stuff is good though.

Ayo Technology was where 50 needed to stay... but that's another story...

There may be great producers but Timbaland's gift has always been the ability to predict the "next wave", the ability to reinvent himself. You gotta keep in mind that Timbaland was one, if not the first, commercial producer to see hip-hop was going downhill and jumped ship to pop. Good business mind or not he was able to predict the next pop sound and managed to be in the forefront with JT, Furtado and later on Madonna. Luck? Skill? Foresight? I don't know, but he was def. able to capitalize.

For a while i believed that the reinvention came from Danja and it may have but Danja hasn't made something as good as that stuff they made together... i think that stuff they made was a collaborative effort... Danja introduced Timbaland to the sound but Timbaland pieced it together.

Timbaland is the best urban producer to ever live. Way better than Dre, J.D., etc.

The best. Changed everything. No one has done it since... maybe Lil Jon...

Entirely new sound.

Even changed RnB...

Back