Timbaland is a bum as far as being a businessman.

Desire Inspires

Dude should have been releasing his own brand of crappy headphones like Dr. Dre.

His talent is undeniable, but his business acumen in non-existent. Why the hell isn't he selling Timbo drum kits, tutorial DVD, microphones, Pro Tools certification programs, etc? Thousands of beatmakers would be buying up those products.

He is squandering his influence on the game.

Last edited:
Dude should have been releasing his own brand of crappy headphones like Dr. Dre.

His talent is undeniable, but his business acumen in non-existent. Why the hell isn't he selling Timbo drum kits, tutorial DVD, microphones, Pro Tools certification programs, etc? Thousands of beatmakers would be buying up those products.

Probably doesnt need or want to.
Guaranteed dude is doin beyond well for himself.
Not everyone wants the same thing/has the same plan for their business...

I think he does have stuff out there in a passive investor capacity...it may be branded as an economy/mid market level product like headphones(those 4.99-11.99 earbud joints) headphone adaptor's, acoustic padding, mic stands or some random ass piece of studio equipment..who know's? Outside of a product, I think his biggest leverage would be teaching/lectures. I know people who have held out from other schools just so they could go to NY Tisch and learn from the big brother almigh-T Spike Lee.

Last edited:
He is one of the most influential producers in the past 20 yrs. You certainly don't get to his level of success with out having a strong business sense. He doesn't have to offer services that you want. He owes you nothing but gives you everything in his music. I'm not on here often maybe you're a troll idk?

He doesn't seem to have a very good business acumen at all, and for some reason, doesn't seem to have very good people around him.

1) Beat Club failed.

2) Moseley Music Group doesn't seem to be fairing much better. Keri Hilson fell off. None of the other artists are even known. One Republic is the only group to make any noise.

3) He invested in 50's SMS Audio venture. Has anyone even SEEN SMS Audio headphones?

4) He's an equity partner in a Sparkling Liqueur named LeSutra. Has anyone heard of it? Exactly.

Timbaland is a beat maker...extraordinaire. But that's just it. His approach to the game has always seemed to be that BEATS can save the world. And then he does this Mr. Me Too version of everything else.

"Oh you got a record label, well me too!"

"Oh you got a MUSIC GROUP, well me too!"

"Oh you got some headphones, well me too!"

"Oh you got a drank, well me too!"

I don't get him. When he got in that crazy body builder shape, he should have put out a line of hip hop workout videos. Would have sold like crazy, especially since he was riding high off JT's second album.

During the Great Producer Boom of the mid 2000's, he should have been teaming with a SOFTWARE company to sell his drums and samples, or teamed with AKAI for a pad based hardware signature line.

Sorry, but the OL Timbaland Miko, at $5000 bucks (for a friggin under powered computer), was NOT the lick.

I trust that Timbo has owned his publishing for quite some time now. Because if not, he's going to have one hell of a time navigating the next shift in music.

He almost didn't make it into the electro hip hop age. DanjaHands really saved his ass. But once again, it seems like he's been floundering since DH's defection from the Beat Club camp.

He should be doing much more with his brand than he is.

It's 2014, and music is FREE. What else you got?

Running a successful business takes talent and a little luck. It's a specific talent that only a few really possess. It may look easy and it's way more difficult than just attaching your celebrity status to a product. Show me a successful businessman and 99% of the time, that same person has had other failed business ventures. It comes with the territory of being an entrepreneur. Many forget about Dre's failures as a businessman with NWA, Death Row(an unsafe work enviroment forced him out) and even Aftermath was on it's last leg when Dre and Eminem crossed paths. It does help a little to have Jimmy Iovine in your corner though. Timberland's obvious strength is producing music. I wouldnt call him a bum, it's more like the norm. Most small businesses go out of business anyway. Running a successful business is that difficult and competitive. Bringing in revenue day after day, year after year is not an easy task.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I personally could not criticize someone who has successfully done the very thing I aspire to do. Idk anyone who has sold a million of anything. He has sold over 100 million.

He doesn't seem to have a very good business acumen at all, and for some reason, doesn't seem to have very good people around him.

1) Beat Club failed.

2) Moseley Music Group doesn't seem to be fairing much better. Keri Hilson fell off. None of the other artists are even known. One Republic is the only group to make any noise.

3) He invested in 50's SMS Audio venture. Has anyone even SEEN SMS Audio headphones?

4) He's an equity partner in a Sparkling Liqueur named LeSutra. Has anyone heard of it? Exactly.

Timbaland is a beat maker...extraordinaire. But that's just it. His approach to the game has always seemed to be that BEATS can save the world. And then he does this Mr. Me Too version of everything else.

"Oh you got a record label, well me too!"

"Oh you got a MUSIC GROUP, well me too!"

"Oh you got some headphones, well me too!"

"Oh you got a drank, well me too!"

I don't get him. When he got in that crazy body builder shape, he should have put out a line of hip hop workout videos. Would have sold like crazy, especially since he was riding high off JT's second album.

During the Great Producer Boom of the mid 2000's, he should have been teaming with a SOFTWARE company to sell his drums and samples, or teamed with AKAI for a pad based hardware signature line.

Sorry, but the OL Timbaland Miko, at $5000 bucks (for a friggin under powered computer), was NOT the lick.

I trust that Timbo has owned his publishing for quite some time now. Because if not, he's going to have one hell of a time navigating the next shift in music.

He almost didn't make it into the electro hip hop age. DanjaHands really saved his ass. But once again, it seems like he's been floundering since DH's defection from the Beat Club camp.

It's 2014, and music is FREE. What else you got?

you're pathetic

When all this was called "Selling Out", it was very bad. Now that it's called "Branding", it's good. Sign of the times.

Um a few things. Dre is way more popular than Timbaland so he probably gets more opportunities. Him selling drum kits, tutorials, etc... that's pathetic. What big name producers who are still relevant are doing stuff like that? Stuff like that is like a last ditch effort you do when your career is dead and your choices are either get a 9-5, be a bum, or sell some Timbo drum kit.

Is Dre really more popular than Timbaland? That can be argued... to what market? Let's not forget that Timbaland's face has always been attached to the top pop acts he has produced for...i'm pretty sure Timberlake, Furtado and a few others dramatically increased Timbaland's popularity.

I wouldn't say he's a bum of a businessman, let's just say he hasn't capitalize of brand extensions as much as he should have... maybe he doesn't want to, who knows.

The only other producer who could rival the Beats brand would be Timbaland. He's the only one with as much popularity and credibility as Dre who can compete in that field.

On another note, i always felt that Keri Hilson fell off cause they ****ed up her marketing/positioning... Keri Hilson was introduced as a classy pop act (something that was missing from the market at the time) through Timbaland's Shock Value album on that "Way I Are" song... that song was huge and different at the time...I remember seeing her and thinking "damn this chick is gonna be huge if they continue down that route" but then i don't know wtf happened, they dropped everything that was good about her... her sound, her look, her character, everything.

Last edited:
Is Dre really more popular than Timbaland? That can be argued... to what market? Let's not forget that Timbaland's face has always been attached to the top pop acts he has produced for...i'm pretty sure Timberlake, Furtado and a few others dramatically increased Timbaland's popularity.

I wouldn't say he's a bum of a businessman, let's just say he hasn't capitalize of brand extensions as much as he should have... maybe he doesn't want to, who knows.

The only other producer who could rival the Beats brand would be Timbaland. He's the only one with as much popularity and credibility as Dre who can compete in that field.

On another note, i always felt that Keri Hilson fell off cause they ****ed up her marketing/positioning... Keri Hilson was introduced as a classy pop act (something that was missing from the market at the time) through Timbaland's Shock Value album on that "Way I Are" song... that song was huge and different at the time...I remember seeing her and thinking "damn this chick is gonna be huge if they continue down that route" but then i don't know wtf happened, they dropped everything that was good about her... her sound, her look, her character, everything.

her attitude happened.

Then the beef with Bey. You don't beef with Bey.

Running a successful business takes talent and a little luck. It's a specific talent that only a few really possess. It may look easy and it's way more difficult than just attaching your celebrity status to a product. Show me a successful businessman and 99% of the time, that same person has had other failed business ventures. It comes with the territory of being an entrepreneur. Many forget about Dre's failures as a businessman with NWA, Death Row(an unsafe work enviroment forced him out) and even Aftermath was on it's last leg when Dre and Eminem crossed paths. It does help a little to have Jimmy Iovine in your corner though. Timberland's obvious strength is producing music. I wouldnt call him a bum, it's more like the norm.

Being a "producer" and not "polluting" your image with byproducts was echoing the f**k the police/f**k the system-mentality of the early-late 90s. Hova-bottle-poppin-Fiesta-Rockawear-rap wasn't that popular either. lol But there's a difference between middle-/upper-class white pseudo-punks screaming their lungs out to Rage Against The Machine and a 17yr old kid from Brooklyn realizing that his love for math and physics will make him a "wannabe whitey" in the eyes of his friends and a "negro who tries to be like us" with The System.

So producers didn't become political and you were supposed to be that. Then Puffy thought that his guinea pig looking face was the "voice of the generation" and Big his dead angel-friend guiding his career.............the Neptunes started to do some shout-outs and them having a band and touring places like Japan and then building up connections to other artists (graphics, design, movies, advertisement, clothe, etc...) was ok then. On the other hand, you had people like Kanye trying to bank on that Puffy phenomenon, but keep the "realness & cool" of an underground MC.

Timbaland just watched and wished & prayed for the day somebody is gonna invent unbreakable MP3-player code, that will make his 15min beats sell 4 million copies on every album he's associated with...........but we know how that all ended, right? Some, to this day, don't understand what REALLY happened. lol

Timbaland is one of those voyeurs, who should've been at the front of the "Change".

Most small businesses go out of business anyway. Running a successful business is that difficult and competitive. Bringing in revenue day after day, year after year is not an easy task.

99.9% of all business ideas go nowhere, because people talk about it nobody actually tries it. LOL

Being a "producer" and not "polluting" your image with byproducts was echoing the f**k the police/f**k the system-mentality of the early-late 90s. Hova-bottle-poppin-Fiesta-Rockawear-rap wasn't that popular either. lol But there's a difference between middle-/upper-class white pseudo-punks screaming their lungs out to Rage Against The Machine and a 17yr old kid from Brooklyn realizing that his love for math and physics will make him a "wannabe whitey" in the eyes of his friends and a "negro who tries to be like us" with The System.

So producers didn't become political and you were supposed to be that. Then Puffy thought that his guinea pig looking face was the "voice of the generation" and Big his dead angel-friend guiding his career.............the Neptunes started to do some shout-outs and them having a band and touring places like Japan and then building up connections to other artists (graphics, design, movies, advertisement, clothe, etc...) was ok then. On the other hand, you had people like Kanye trying to bank on that Puffy phenomenon, but keep the "realness & cool" of an underground MC.

Timbaland just watched and wished & prayed for the day somebody is gonna invent unbreakable MP3-player code, that will make his 15min beats sell 4 million copies on every album he's associated with...........but we know how that all ended, right? Some, to this day, don't understand what REALLY happened. lol

Timbaland is one of those voyeurs, who should've been at the front of the "Change".

99.9% of all business ideas go nowhere, because people talk about it nobody actually tries it. LOL

I'm talking about businesses that were actually started. I just sit back and chuckle at those who think otherwise.

Five Reasons 8 Out Of 10 Businesses Fail - Forbes

It's way harder than most can ever imagine because you are responsible for every facet of the business unlike a 9 to 5 where you can let go once you leave the job and let the owner worry about it. It's not like you can keep pulling cash out of your azz to finance each business idea too. No one's gonna keep giving you money to finance your ideas so you have limited opportunities to make it happen. That's why many celebrities are unable to just keep creating companies that many assume are so easy to run and make a profit. Some foolishly convince themselves that they would of course be different.

According to Bloomberg, 8 out of 10 entrepreneurs who start businesses fail within the first 18 months. A whopping 80% crash and burn.

Twitter hasn't even made a profit yet.
That's why I say Timberland is far from a bum. He's part of the norm.

Last edited:
Back