Return of boom bap

@ Dev Vision : If it's not boom bap it's probably not hip-hop anyways. And I agree with you, boom bap is extremely structurally limited. That's why it's perfect.

At any rate, all "hip-hop is a culture" aside, what's the difference between rap and hip-hop? Would you consider Illmatic to be in the rap genre, or the hip-hop genre? And likewise, would Gucci Mane be rap, or hip-hop?

Then what hip-hop is now and what it used to be are 2 separate things couse of all the influence from other cultures.

A rap verse over a electro house pop song is not hip-hop though, is it? Or is that just "influence?" Then again, I don't consider LMFAO hip-hop, so this is probably where our opinions will differ.

I feel like this "force to evolve" is a crutch for lack of quality music. Someone can make some horrible song and call it "progressive" or "experimental" as a fail safe to humiliation. Classical music has been the same for hundreds of years and is still perfect. Why is it that hip-hop needs to "change" so much. The only reason things change is because they aren't good enough. That's why french fries and cheeseburgers are still the same.

I feel like this "force to evolve" is a crutch for lack of quality music. Someone can make some horrible song and call it "progressive" or "experimental" as a fail safe to humiliation. Classical music has been the same for hundreds of years and is still perfect. Why is it that hip-hop needs to "change" so much. The only reason things change is because they aren't good enough. That's why french fries and cheeseburgers are still the same.

classical music is faaaaaaar from unchanged. example listen to bach and then beethoven, and then liszt. loads of difference. but good point who draws the line on what is hip hop and what isn't?

classical music is faaaaaaar from unchanged. example listen to bach and then beethoven, and then liszt. loads of difference. but good point who draws the line on what is hip hop and what isn't?

I'm gonna have to disagree. I'm a huge classical fan. Franz Liszt has a unique style, but his music is still relatively within the same region I would say. For example, Liszt's "Liebestraum" is very much in line with an essence of Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. At any rate, I might have said worded that a little too literal. I don't mean "unchanged" in the literal sense, but more so in the functional sense. When you listen to Frederic Chopin's Nocturne, you know that it's classical music. I don't feel like hip-hop is recognizable by today's standards.

For example, HOW IS THIS HIP-HOP?

Furthermore, when you listen to this, does it scream "hip-hop" to anybody, because it doesn't to me.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you guys don't accept other Sub-Genre's or different takes on Hip Hop as "Hip Hop".
I mean G-Funk is where I started and that's as real Hip Hop to me as any Krs-One record.
As I got older though I went back and learned of Boom Bap (don't know everything about it of course) and I think it sounds great, I'd love to see it come back.

For someone to be a boom-bap only artist and make it mainstream ... nope. It's a great niche for sure, but with niches it's better to cater to your own kind, and not try to be liked by everyone as that is mainstream Hip Hop today.

I honestly thought the whole sampling 90's music was going to pop off, but voila the electronic age.

not in the mainstream sound but it never left the underground ;)

I wouldn't say boom bap. but there is alot of artist that are coming w/ that raw hip-hop sound. Curren$y for an example, Not boom-bap but he is keeping it raw.

I wouldn't say boom bap. but there is alot of artist that are coming w/ that raw hip-hop sound. Curren$y for an example, Not boom-bap but he is keeping it raw.

This is my shit. How come nobody sends me beats like this. I would actually buy stuff like that and spit a platinum verse over it.

Back