The Reason You Don't Like new HipHop Is Because You're Old

Might as well face it, and stop lying to ourselves.

Rap is not as great as it used to be. These new artists are forgotten within 2-3 years, and no one will remember more than 3 of their songs. Who was the last huge rapper to come out after Eminen? Which of these new rappers can be claimed to be the next rap legend like Jay Z, Dr Dre, Eminem, Biggie, Nas, Weezy?

Rap was injured in 2010 - present time, and it will take a couple of years for it to heal itself, but when i does, man, imagine the possibilities when we are over the whole trap vs dubstep vs boombap time.
Rap right now doesn't need any healing. In fact, rap is better now than it was BEFORE 2010 in my opinion.

No rapper can really claim to be a legend since they weren't around the time hip-hop was rising up. Of course everyone would remember the big name and originators but that doesn't mean the rappers right now are good.

How I feel about new Hip Hop in its current state is not an age issue to me because I've felt a negative way about it since late adolescence and I refuse to feel any different in the current era though ironically I know how to seek out whatever I feel and think is dope to me as I don't pine for a Golden Era nor am I a slave to and in the BS matrix that is corporate radio, print magazines, etc.
I know judging from the present tastemakers and pseudo trend-setters I can't nor do I attempt to relate/feel what they say in the music as it's meaningless to me but meaningful to the current generation and I don't intend to spare the rod as I'm against the ****ery that's got tons of teenage and adult heads ****ed up.

Last edited:
This new shit sucks. I listen to a lotta damned mixtapes and whatnot and I hear the same thing over and over.

The beats sound too similar.
The rappers use the exact same style and cadence.
The rappers rehash the same subject matter, to the point of biting each others lines.

What I do find interesting is that when you take some of these trash rappers and take them off of "commercial" beats and throw them on older style or underground-type of beats, they change everything to fit that type of beat.

Here's an example:

Lil B - "Charlie Sheen" (Music Video) - YouTube

^^^ this shit sucks. Nothing you can ever say to try to convince me otherwise.

However:

Lil B - "Keep Sagging" (Music Video) - YouTube
Lil B - "Giving Up" (Music Video) - YouTube

I couldn't even believe that this was the same dude. I actually ****s with these two songs, got 'em in the ride and everything.

Schoolboy Q is the same way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05dNpLY2HA

^^ this was the first joint I had heard dude on. I was like "yeah, dude aiight with it. Ain't on Bronson's level but he's cool".

Then I heard this:

ScHoolboy Q - Man Of The Year - YouTube

Had a hard time convincing myself that this was the same dude.

Just turned 22.... n i like old school....
But i also love hip-hop n think that u should now where it comes from....
-Sorta like when u here sombody spit a mean line.... n it hits u that slick used the same scheme a long ass time ago....

But back on topic... i feel like todays music (some) is just bullsh_t....
Like niggas was at home twisted with there friends rappin....
N sombody said ur better then the rest u should rap...
So he does n the next big hit is b_tch hoe suck my toe....
-wit the adlibs somewhere in there

conclusion

No love for the art but for the bread

Ice Cube said something recently at a show that I couldn't agree with more. He was saying why are all these new niggas accepting wack hiphop then when you criticize it you're called old and out of touch. He said Nas, Him(NWA), Jay Z, Biggie , Pac etc were all teenagers and early 20s when they started and their music was dope then and is considered classic now. Older and younger HipHop cats loved the music regardless of age. Now it seems that if you're over 25 you're old and out of touch and are a hater if you complain about the trash that's being put out. I've seen that on here too, people saying, oh you're just old and bitter boom bap is over etc etc.

What you think?

It's true, you're old.

What's wrong with being old. I want to be old as hell.

Is dead better?

Do you think LL, Run DMC, P.E. are making a come back.... hell, Cube too. Let the KIDZ have their turn.

You old homie. Old as shit. Jazz is your thing now.

I don't want to try to stay young, ha!

I read a quote that says "A man that acts in his 50's like he did in his 20's... has lost 30 years!"

I love the beats, not the lyrics. Accept change.

Kids, enjoy your music and HOPE that one day you too will be OLD!... if not, you're dumb as a phuggin' rock.

You are this OLD!

Who forgot?

Bigg Rome is for the kids...

Last edited:
Naw man your never too old...think about the rolling stones..old mick jagger still running around liiike crazy and he damn near 80...you see to old country music folk...rock and roll was "their rap" you know.?? it was once seen as a kidish thing but you have to respect hip hop as a music genre in order to be respected in the genre.... so what cube was saying isn't off at all...a majority of mainstream music is pure garbage...idk how many versions of 0 to 100 is really needed...I think one was enough

I feel like more dope artist are on the come up though...Vic Mensa, Bas, Nia Prosper/ Prophecy Lacole, Cozz :)

Last edited:
I'm 26. My tastes are ecclectic. I like today's producers and I think the battle rappers are the ones who have the proper hip hop mindset. The newer artists making songs these days don't interest me with a few exceptions like Kendrick. I think he's versatile and has cadence and wordplay. I could listen to artists like The Lox, Ransom, MOP, Black Thought, Tragedy, Beanie Sigel, Scarface, DMX all day long though. Flow and hot beats never gets old to me. It's not like I expect the younger rappers to reinvent the wheel or say some revolutionary groundbreaking shyt. I'm more concerned with the cadence, the voice and the music itself. When you violate these requirements and then rap over some trap beat, I'm gonna ignore you. Now I even see other artists(like French montana)borrowing the chicgao sound and incorrporating that into their music.

Last edited:
I'm 21 and I just like music bruh I don't care what era it came from y'all put way to much emphasis on young generation old generation man music is gonna live on whether you like it or not maybe some people need to get more in touch with the youth that's the only way to change the outcome of the world and what you listen to

Back