The Reason You Don't Like new HipHop Is Because You're Old

I love both but I rely on my young family members to keep me updated as to what their peers listen to. The difference between them and most kids is that I already put them through a strict tutelage of Wu tang, NWA, DEF JAM 88-05, BONE THUGS, ONYX, NO Limit, Gang STAR, Jeru, Pharcyde, Holocaust, 2pac, biggie, diana ross, al green, parliament, motown, ect.ect.ect. so even though they are 5-15 years old...they know what real music and real hiphop sounds like....or at least the shyt I would like.

Some winner's they put me up on...Ace Hood, ASAP, Tyler,

Some Loser's....Lil B, French Montana, Tyga, Waka

Questionable...Drake, Future, Chief Keef

The difference between 30 year old me and 17 year old me is that I would sign and work with all of them. They all have HEAVY teenage girl followings. After 25 and producing means setting personal taste aside when it comes to business.

Last edited:
I love hip-hop as it is a culture I grew up in
as far as the "new age" rap or the in-crowd rap songs

I don't even listen to mainstream rappers

ya'll know what I listen to so I have no problem with the mainstream secular music that's is out

I found music I enjoy everyone should do the same

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
I disagree with the younger crowd because most new rap does suck. I **** with a lot of new music. Katy Perry is one of my favorite newer artists. I love Stay, If I Was Your Man, Gentleman, a bunch of new pop records. I **** with Deadmau5 and Skrillex. I just don't like most new rap. I don't think my age has anything to do with it either because I felt that way when I was 23. I'll be 30 in September. Ever since I heard its going down by Yung Joc I felt like rap has been going down hill. There are good artists here and there. I **** with New Slaves, I **** with Big Kritt, it took some time but I like Drake, I like Asap, I like Nikki, I like Miguel well he's not a rapper but I like him. I just don't like most of these new rappers to the point that I don't even follow rap no more.

How can you bros hear dudes like Joey Bad and Pro Era getting tons of hype (especially with Joey turning down a deal at Roca) and still think golden era shit is dead?

Most things, music and film especially, go in cycles. KRIT said he sounds like classic southern rap cuz he grew up with his dad listening to and playing him Goodie Mob.

Same thing happened to rock music in the 90s, classic rock heads from the late 60s early 70s said that rock was dead when disco and new wave came out in the 70s-80s, the 90s came and those guy's kids brought rock back with grunge, and now we have a resurgence of both disco and new wave in house and synthpop. We're due for another big wave of rock and boom bap in 5 or so years.

How can you bros hear dudes like Joey Bad and Pro Era getting tons of hype (especially with Joey turning down a deal at Roca) and still think golden era shit is dead?

Most things, music and film especially, go in cycles. KRIT said he sounds like classic southern rap cuz he grew up with his dad listening to and playing him Goodie Mob.

Same thing happened to rock music in the 90s, classic rock heads from the late 60s early 70s said that rock was dead when disco and new wave came out in the 70s-80s, the 90s came and those guy's kids brought rock back with grunge, and now we have a resurgence of both disco and new wave in house and synthpop. We're due for another big wave of rock and boom bap in 5 or so years.

I don't hear Joey Badass on the Radio. I bet they wanted to mold him into a prototypical mainstream rapper which is why he turned the deals down. He seems popular by word of mouth but I don't hear anybody playing his shit around here. I here a bunch of Trap or this new idiot music with 1 noise an 808 and random talking about 20 different subjects for 3 minutes.

What you hear now is not an indication of what is coming.

I hear Kendrick on the radio, maybe he's a better example; his dad used to play him Ras Kass when he was growing up and he said those are his classic albums. People who are gonna be the trend setters in the next few years' classic albums are shit like Ready to Die, Illmatic, Forever, Infamous, southerplayalisticadillacmusic, All Eyez etc.

Old school wasn't all that great either. It was our perception. Like the girl you went to prom with wasn't that fine..... go ahead look at the pictures!

Diversity: It wasn't that diverse. We try to cram multiple "eras" into one but unfairly lump 20yrs against this last 5yrs. Look ar rappers names back then. Tech9, Mack10, 187, Loko, Psycho ,ScarFace, Brotha Lynch, Gangster Nip, 3-2. Lil Wayne, Lil Flip, Lil Keekee, Big Hawk, Big Pokie, Poyo, Pookie ect.......

Beats: The whole No Limit/Cash Money/DSGB era sound the same (97-2000) Pastor Troy, Miracle, Head Bustas, Dirty South Riders ect... Then came Lil Johm. Only people sounding different was Ludacris, TI and Outkast/Goodie.

Today people are using thier real names and somewhat trying to be excepted for who they are. Back then there were three: Kieth Murray & Eric Sermon, Tupac Shakur.

Lyrics: Every other sentence was a St Ides, Old English, 6-4, Staircases, Mans-n-Them, bodied, merced, Whooriding, Creepin, Rocks in my Socks ect......

At least today's artists talk about abstract stuff. Planets Science Depression being on Riddlin, ect...... I don't understand it exactly but at least its different.

Bottom Line: The 70s 80s 90s 2Ks and the current have a TON of recycled cliche "me too" , extra wack artist's and that's why the greats are the greats. Earth Wind & Fire, Run DMC, Public Enemy, LL, DMX, Ice Cube, Snoop, JayZ, Nas, Wayne, Luda, Red/Meth, WU, Outkast, 50Cent, Beenie Siegal, Kendrick,

The list of garbage is long in every era. Listen for the good, show support and maybe we can hear more of it.

Mass Media, Money, and Meaningful Music - Rarely Mix ! ! !

Its a thing of you want what you can't have. You don't truly appreciate something until its gone.

Be listening to this

Man why can't they make shit like that nowadays ?

But

In 30 years, If my heart beat so long

Ima be like, damn...why they don't make shit like dat nowadays ?

Gotta appreciate the here n now man, never passed a year without hearing a good song

Old as in age or old as in already had their run in the game and they're still trying to keep pace?

For example Rick Ross and Juvenile are about the same age pushing 40 but yet I rarely hear anyone refer to Ross as a "old man trying to fit into today's sound" but they would surely say that about Juvenile if he dropped a new single that sounds like it could be on Ace Hood's next album

And speaking of "being old" lets take a look at the ages (off by a few years, industry standard lol) of some of the currently highest selling artists:

Kanye West - 36
Jay Z - 43
Lil Wayne - 30
Nicki Minaj - 30
Rick Ross - 38
Eminem - 40
Nas - 39
2 Chainz - 35
Young Jeezy - 35
T.I. - 32

Old heads up in here, up in here...

^^^ it's true though you have a lot of new artists but they'll all just come and go, who do u really think is going to considered legendary? ASAP? And even he is on the older side like 26 or something.

The new generation just makes music but no music that will last the time like Nas and Jay-Z, 2Pac etc.

rappers now days just give it a shot and see if it works out.
And like dude above said the majority of the artist who can rap aree above 25 years of age or close too

School Boy Q is the hottest righty now
French Montana
Drake
childish gambino
j cole
Slaughter house
currensy
Styles p
kendrick (close to)

i can keep going with ease

new generation of rappers
mac miller
logic
trinidad James
Mgk

all trash

only new click I give it up to FINNALY is Pro Era and we all know why

God I hope not. The 90's where some of the most musically closed minded era in American music. I much prefer what went on in the 70's and 80's to what went on then. I see the same level of experimentation today.

Yeah, I'm that old. ...lol

Old school wasn't all that great either. It was our perception. Like the girl you went to prom with wasn't that fine..... go ahead look at the pictures!

I understand what you saying....but I strongly disagree. I will explain what made it great.

Diversity: It wasn't that diverse. We try to cram multiple "eras" into one but unfairly lump 20yrs against this last 5yrs. Look ar rappers names back then. Tech9, Mack10, 187, Loko, Psycho ,ScarFace, Brotha Lynch, Gangster Nip, 3-2. Lil Wayne, Lil Flip, Lil Keekee, Big Hawk, Big Pokie, Poyo, Pookie ect.......

That's really not a diversity thing.....come on man.....each of those artist you posted had a different style. lol! And the names represented "entertainment names".........which makes the era > today's era. Dudes were using their head..........today people don't even understand the power in a name......want to use their real name like they filling out an application or something.....getting an interview for a rap career job. smh. I'm suppose to be a fan of some average dude, average name, average skills.

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Lyrics: Every other sentence was a St Ides, Old English, 6-4, Staircases, Mans-n-Them, bodied, merced, Whooriding, Creepin, Rocks in my Socks ect......

Which made the era great. That was communication in a "hip hop community". Today is full of average people rapping but using slang they picked up along the way. They really don't "speak" the slang....they learned new words or either create a word from a true slang word they picked up somewhere. The one phrase used a lot in rap back then was "keeping it real". So keeping it real turned into keeping it real for the dollars......not actually keeping it realistic. But to speak on what's real without experiencing it. It's like having a conversation with someone......they read some shit on google...and can make themselves appear to know what they are talking about.....until you ask them a question that they should have a answer to since they know a lot about the topic....but....their is no google for them to get the answer. So keeping it real turned into keeping it virtually real. You want reality then go to World Star.....dudes getting they asses whooped live. You want virtual reality....you can turn on Love and Hip hop....a show where people have cameras around them, so they do things different than if the camera wasn't on them.....they know that camera is on and millions are watching. But the diffence is one side doesn't get paid...the other gets paid for it's virtual Jerry Springer/Days Of Our Lives type of realness. That's today's era. "See.....I'm just like you guys...I'm a white....I can't rap about the street life....I live in the suburbs....but I can tell you about my friend who almost overdose on drugs last year at the age of 15"........cool....it gives people who can relate to him something to listen to for life....BUT WHAT ABOUT ME? It's not an age thing....it becomes less of what I experienced or experiencing now..less of what I relate to.....and even the music doesn't speak my language. I feel more at home with guys named Lil this or Big that or Double this......I've never called somebody I knew their "whole real name".....shit is funny actually. "This O'Shae Jackson.....fooo.....this a jack move!!"

Rap songs had content. Rap songs had rappers actually speaking their mind in conversation form. Conversations worth listening to. Rappers today....don't have nothing on their mind but money. Before they wanted to be a rapper, they knew it was money to be made in it. They never did talent shows, never perform and had the city rocking with them. They never had lockers full of notebooks full of rhymes. They put on a big ass front and lie to their selves like rap is what they breathe....got a studio in their room and can't think of anything to talk about except money and hoes.....because their only chance at getting money......is hoes....taking off their clothes.

Bottom Line: The 70s 80s 90s 2Ks and the current have a TON of recycled cliche "me too" , extra wack artist's and that's why the greats are the greats. Earth Wind & Fire, Run DMC, Public Enemy, LL, DMX, Ice Cube, Snoop, JayZ, Nas, Wayne, Luda, Red/Meth, WU, Outkast, 50Cent, Beenie Siegal, Kendrick,

The list of garbage is long in every era. Listen for the good, show support and maybe we can hear more of it.
I agree.

But nobody should find "excuses" for why people like "wack music" and put it in the same category as greatness of the past. I "like" a lot of rap music out today. I don't "love it". And their is the problem. Can a person actually say they "LOVE" today's hip hop music instead of like? I would love the answer and an explaination from someone who does "LOVE" this era of hip hop.

Last edited:
Might as well face it, and stop lying to ourselves.

Rap is not as great as it used to be. These new artists are forgotten within 2-3 years, and no one will remember more than 3 of their songs. Who was the last huge rapper to come out after Eminen? Which of these new rappers can be claimed to be the next rap legend like Jay Z, Dr Dre, Eminem, Biggie, Nas, Weezy?

Rap was injured in 2010 - present time, and it will take a couple of years for it to heal itself, but when i does, man, imagine the possibilities when we are over the whole trap vs dubstep vs boombap time.

We had visuals......on T.V.

We had the record stores.

We had CD covers that triggered us to want to hear. Those covers from back then is the result of a big mixtape boom...because people knew the importance of it. BUT......that visual is distorted by SOOOOOO much of it....so the effect doesn't work like it once did.

We expected a sound from what we had heard before.....and those labels we like gave it to us....because THAT IS WHY WE BOUGHT IT ND CONTINUED TO BUY. If it had Suave house on it....we bought it. If it had No Limit on it....we bought it. We expected it to sound like it did. We didn't expect 10 different producers. That worked when being a producer was actually a big deal.

I can go on and on........I will.....this will be my field day thread.

@901
you've got some points and I respect it because at the end of the day we all want to see good music being made.

i just think that we put much more stock in perception of a memory than what was ACTUALY there. Suave House was super dope, and you're right I bought everything from them. But I'd be lying if I said I was always happy once I got home and threw it in. There was standout tracks and beats, but some huge let downs too.

as for the stage name issue. Yes it's cool to have a Mac 10 or Tech 9. It wasn't cool to have every single person named after a gun. So much, to the extent there were rivals and beefs and label disputes because no one was being creative and without intentionally doing so, labels had Lil Pistol from L.A. And then a Lil Pistol fromDetroit, and Lil Pistol from Kansas City. WTF?
Also it got so over saturated that the streets became a gimmick in itself and the line was so blurred no one could tell who was who (ever saw the movie CB4?)

When done correctly you had MCs seemingly larger than life based on their stage character and that was cool. Like DMX, Onyx, Lady of Rage, Jay-Z, Ice-T. You actually wanted to be them.

But it things got way out of context and became straight foolishness. B2K wearing rags in their video ? ? ?

The thing I liked most when Kanye West first coming out was the "Common Man" theme he held. His script was....... I am the common man, but I will eventually build this unbelievable empire because I have powers and a mind that the average man doesn't have. That was great. Just enough reality and an equal dose of a dream. Also there was no one more common man than one of the only undisputed crews past or present. Tribe Called Quest. Deep thinking, with simple vocabulary, unlike Gangstar or Rakim. Touched on social commentary, history and education without sounding like Public Enemy. Beats that were heavy on the kick but smooth enough to chill to. No one has matched that simple/complex mold, but as much as he may act a damn fool now, Kanye on Drop Out was pretty damn close.

Back