Leasing beats and other scams.

how does an artist benefit from leasing? please list them.

In addition to the ones I mentioned:(If you are going to use a beat for an album than most definitely leasing is not the way to go. But I can see demo use, A&R submissions, backing track for a show & stuff like that.)

1. he has access to a quality demo track without paying for studio time for the track. He only has to pay for recrording his part over the track.

2. If the artist does not play instruments but writes lyrics, he can use the track to write his lyrics

3. The time it takes to produce just the track is eliminated because it is already finished. Just add vocals.

4. If he doesn't have talent he doesn't have to pay a producers who KNOWS he doesn't have talent but takes his money anyway...

okay what you mentioned had nothing to do with leasing a track.

maybe I should clarify my question, how does an artist benefits from leasing a track instead of doing it the normal way?

okay what you mentioned had nothing to do with leasing a track.

maybe I should clarify my question, how does an artist benefits from leasing a track instead of doing it the normal way?

He can test the waters with minimal investment

Standard leasing deal on SC = sell up to 2,500 copies, producer may resell the beat

Exclusives = sell unlimited amount of copies, producer cannot resell the beat

Leasing is great for producer and great for artist with a budget.

If the artist feel strongly about the beat then they'll fork out money to buy the exclusives.

Both side wins.

ive always pondered this myself. like i go to datpiff and listen to unsigned artist mixtapes and ill hear the same johnny juliano beat or vybe beats on like 6 mixtapes. i dont know bout yall but i hate listening to rappers go over an instrumental to a track thats already been created. and in a leasing situation, that essentially whats being done.

at the end of the day it exist because there is a market for it of people willing to pay to lease.

Unless you're a major artist more then likely you can't afford a few thousand dollars on one track. So as producers we needed to figure out a way to make as much money as we could from our tracks and leasing has been a great way to legally sell the same track to multiple people.

It comes down to money.

I'm trying to figure out this whole leasing beats thing. It looks like a scam, and everyone who leases beats is a scam artist. maybe I'm wrong. but in a leased situation the only one who benefits is the producer, the artist gets scammed. my reasons why it a scam:

1. under normal circumstances when a song is made it is the producers just as much as the artist. so producers leasing to maintain ownership, are misinformed. they own the song no matter waht (unless it was a work for hire)

2. The beatmaker is trying to sell the same song to others.

3. the beatmaker wants the artists to 'give back' the beat after a certain amount of time

I'm not attacking anyone who leases, I'm trying to figure it out. Right now I avoid leasing producer like they have the Plague. I see many many many issues with leasing and I don't want to get caught up in that bad business.

Maybe I'm misinformed, can someone clarify why they lease beats.

Is leasing a car a scam?? No. It's so people can drive cars that they ordinarily can't afford.

When u lease a car, you're paying the depreciation on the car, plus some interest, over the lease period. There are stipulations on how much you can drive the car. You have to return the car after the lease period. That same car is then either leased to someone else, or sold.

In leasing beats, the artist is getting use of a beat that they could not ordinarily afford. The terms of the usage, is that in exchange for the significantly lower price, they don't get exclusive rights to the track.

The MASTER SONG that is created from the combination of the track and the artists performance on the track, still belongs equally to the artist and producer alike.

The only difference is that in exchange for the reduced price, the artist doesn't get an exclusive license.

How is that a scam?

ive always pondered this myself. like i go to datpiff and listen to unsigned artist mixtapes and ill hear the same johnny juliano beat or vybe beats on like 6 mixtapes. i dont know bout yall but i hate listening to rappers go over an instrumental to a track thats already been created. and in a leasing situation, that essentially whats being done.

But major artists rap over the same 15 industry beats on every single mixtape, not to mention indie artists...on hundreds of mixtapes.

So what's the difference in people rapping over the same juliano or vibe beat, as rapping over the same Swizz, Banladesh, or Drumma Boy beat?

except the fact that u haven't heard that vibe or juliano beat 8 million times before.

Is leasing a car a scam?? No. It's so people can drive cars that they ordinarily can't afford.

yes if someone is leasing the same car to several people!!!

not to mention a song is not a car, at all!!! so why are people trying to treat it the same?

so some people are trying to tell me that they lease beats because artist can't afford thousands of dollars for a track? what does one have to do with the other?

I think I'm becoming to understand something.

But major artists rap over the same 15 industry beats on every single mixtape, not to mention indie artists...on hundreds of mixtapes.

So what's the difference in people rapping over the same juliano or vibe beat, as rapping over the same Swizz, Banladesh, or Drumma Boy beat?

except the fact that u haven't heard that vibe or juliano beat 8 million times before.

Who is vibe or juliano? I don't follow soundclick or myspace producers. What is their discography?

not to mention a song is not a car, at all!!! so why are people trying to treat it the same?

so some people are trying to tell me that they lease beats because artist can't afford thousands of dollars for a track? what does one have to do with the other?

In my definition, a lease is nothing more than a non-exclusive license. Plain and simple. You pay for the non-exclusive right to use the track, according to the contractual stipulations.

What's wrong with that?

Exclusive licenses cost more. If the artist can not afford that, then they have the option of the non-exclusive license.

I don't see how that can be considered a scam. I have contracts with tv networks for non-exclusive licensing rights of my music. They pay for that non-exclusive license, in the same way that artists pay for the non-exclusive license.

a song is not a car but business is business.

In my definition, a lease is nothing more than a non-exclusive license. Plain and simple. You pay for the non-exclusive right to use the track, according to the contractual stipulations.

What's wrong with that?

Exclusive licenses cost more. If the artist can not afford that, then they have the option of the non-exclusive license.

I don't see how that can be considered a scam. I have contracts with tv networks for non-exclusive licensing rights of my music. They pay for that non-exclusive license, in the same way that artists pay for the non-exclusive license.

That's what a scam is.

licensing is far different than what you are doing. what you are doing is trying to license something to the co-owner.

I'm even more convinced this is a scam. no offense to anyone. but i think i'm starting to figure out how bad this pool of misinformation really is. I don't think many people are intentionally trying to scam someone, I think it's because people don't know better. no offense to anyone.

her article just says get what ever was agreed on in writing, it doesn't mean it's a scam.

I know many scams that are legal. but they are still scams.

her article just says get what ever was agreed on in writing, it doesn't mean it's a scam.

I know many scams that are legal. but they are still scams.

theres millions of major label artists who do the same thing though

A La Gorilla Zoe/Usher situation

its not a scam.. if you want the beat all to yourself.. pay for it, and sign the paperwork

thats not a scam, thats business

Back