Timbaland addresses the "Do It" controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously not reading what am writting right!Am saying that dude should be compansated!what i think is hypocritical is they way some of the guys in here are acting like tim is wack coz of it,trying to discredit the man just coz of one thing wrong he did!thats all read it one more time before you reply.

1005 said:
Actually, that's why Swizz didn't get sued over that Casio beat. Judge could not make his mind over if it was wring or not, lol.

yeah, but that´s bs again, cause every keyboard that has demos, also has a manual......I have seen the demos and the creators being listed, but I have never seen a manual that listed the "artists" as copyright holders and then says "oh, and you are free to use these songs!" :cry:

1005 said:
"i can't discuss that" vs. "it was in a video game" (no it was not, lol) vs. "i took it off a demo" (what demo?) vs. "i use everything i can"

he speaks about being the best and being sooooo mofu creative and then admits, he uses everything on his harddrive (soundclick? myspace?) and he doesn´t care to find out if it´s legal or not to use these songs. W-T-F???

so he spits right in the face of the most producers here and they still act like it was just raining. if it´s not too hard for him to steal some european c64 demo music, how hard is it to go through YOUR SOUNDCLICK & MYSPACE page and to completly rip YOUR SONGS?

anyway, I lost my respect for him. oh and Polow and Tim collaborate on Hilson´s record. a match made in heaven.

de_v said:
But dont give me that timbo is wack jazz,ya'll just trying to make yourselves feel better,you're just hating str8 up.
Find me one person who said Tim was wack and I'll admit im wrong. Some have said they lost respect for him, etc, but WACK?

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:

Watching that MTV video again, when dudes were getting the award from Timbo, he seemed mad humble too whereas Kanye, well...

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
You telling me timbo scrolled thru his keyboard, heard that demo(much like you hear a drum pattern, midi sequence, or arp)and maliciously decided he was gonna rip smeone off? I'm pretty sure he never thought he was doing anything wrong, I wouldn't have, if you would, stop using workstations of any kind and go to live instruments, you can inadvertantly do the exact same "stealing".

Hypocrites.

Exactly. It seems obvious that he didn't know it was copyrighted, and couldn't find out who the composer was before the release date of Nelly's album (it's not like this was sampled from a published record or a source that would be easier to identify) so they decided to put the album out, and if any issues came up they'd deal with them afterwards.

Then people basically went out and made a mockery of Tim in the media as if he knew full well what the song was and just decided to steal it and rip off a small-time guy from Europe because he's just a jerk and doesn't have talent, has to steal his music, and doesn't care about people. They tried to jack the credibility of an entire 10-12 year music-changing track record of hits, because of a sample he didn't know was copyrighted in *one song*.

You'd be irritated too. That's ridiculous

*sigh*

Welcome to the internet, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blingx7 said:
I guess this answered my question..

So yes, the personaility does count when u judge if a producers your fav producer or not. not to say that anything is wrong wit that but that doesnt matter to me.

I hate kayne personaility lol.. but hes still one of my favorite , cause he makes heat.

personality has to do with it. If I wanted to work with my fav producer, it would really help that he wouldnt be an arrogant jerk

[Khameleon] said:
It seems obvious that he didn't know it was copyrighted, and couldn't find out who the composer was before the release date of Nelly's album (it's not like this was sampled from a published record or a source that would be easier to identify) so they decided to put the album out, and if any issues came up they'd deal with them afterwards.

So, that makes it all good? We should all just sample rare jazz records which are pressed about 1000 pcs so there isn't audience enough big to notice that we're ripping em off?

And it was published, not as a fysical record but as an MOD and a MP3 to a crown of 4000 people, and that will be coming even more and more normal..CD's will eventually die.

Doesn't matter what the format was, it still DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.

jadillac1181 said:
personality has to do with it. If I wanted to work with my fav producer, it would really help that he wouldnt be an arrogant jerk
i rather take a chance with a hott producer thats a jerk , than a nice dude, thats garbage, and probally wont get u anywhere. Which would u pick? If you were really tryna put yaself on the map or watever?. Besides, i dont think timbo is a jerk.. do you ?

i also think timbo didnt mean any harm of it. Im sure if he known any better, he wouldnt have did it. He just made a mistake, thats all. I not gonna loose any respect from him cause he made a mistake.We all make dumb mistakes. And at the end of the day hes still a hott producer, so hey, who cares anymore? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Blingx7 said:
i also think timbo didnt mean any harm of it. Im sure if he known any better, he wouldnt have did it. He just made a mistake, thats all.

"let's not tease little Timmy, he's just retarted"

timmy.0-766929.jpg

He knows EXACTLY what he is doing, he has done it before. Reason why this one has caused this much attention are that the song has been available as a ringtone, and with a big name pop-star, and internet (youtube) has made it easy to spread the word about the issue. This would have happened before but India isn't big on teh intterweb usage...

1005 said:
So, that makes it all good? We should all just sample rare jazz records which are pressed about 1000 pcs so there isn't audience enough big to notice that we're ripping em off?

And it was published, not as a fysical record but as an MOD and a MP3 to a crown of 4000 people, and that will be coming even more and more normal..CD's will eventually die.

Doesn't matter what the format was, it still DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.

Wow, you completely missed the point. He didn't KNOW he was ripping this guy off. It wasn't on a 'record', it didn't sell 1000 copies, it was a very, very obscure tune and like he said, he didn't know where it came from and the label didn't have time to do that much research before the album had to drop.

Nobody said it was right to steal anybody else's music.

i think its human nature(envy, jealousy, whatever) that if someone gets too big or too famous, well they will eventually find a way to take them down.
I agree with others
He probably thought it was in the public domain
Should he own up to it..yes
Should he pay the Finnish dudes...yes

Does this take away from over a decade of creativity and great music..no.

Were people this mad at the Fugees for not crediting Enya on Ready or Not or Janet Jackson stealing Deseree on Got Till Its Gone? Or Dre using the THX sound without George Lucas' approval? DJ Shadows Endtroducing is FILLED with uncleared samples. Does that take away from what an amazing album Endtroducing was? I think not.

LMAO @ the hypocrites on this forum. In all I sorta agree with Tim. He comes off playing dumb. But, if he didn't know, all he knew accordingly to him it was demo on the machine he brought. I like the part about he said "it's from a video game". I'm sure Tempest didn't make that straight up be cause there art they sample too from video games. It's hypocritical as I see it. AM like changing my mind.

I also will like to add Tempest or whoever his camp is handled this wrong form the internet aspect. How you can discredit a guy now over something that's been going on for what over 20 years now? Just forget about hip hop in general if you want to be like that. Sometimes people sample stuff and don't even know what it is, it just sounds hot. Dudes made it look like Timbo knew that it was the track from Tempest;or maybe vice versa Timbo knew, hmm.....

Last edited:
TheAstrolabe said:
Were people this mad at the Dre using the THX sound without George Lucas' approval?

Lucas was and it was removed from the later on presses..or he paid for it.

And still no one is taking anything from him. Khameleon, AFAIK there has been compilation of the Assembly winners made for a few years now and sold, not sure if it was done at 2000 when Acidjazzed evening was made.

and Mainboy, WHAT THE ****. for the last time, it was not on any games or demos of a machine. damn, you guys believe everything. Tempest did not sample anyone, he MADE IT HIMSELF.

How you know that?^^^ I thought in there genre they take pieces or something like that from 8-bit games? It sound like a video game gem anyways. Seriously, it's all by word of mouth. What if your wrong that it did come from a video game? You mad!

but I can't say who's right at all. there's alot missing in this story.

Last edited:
Mainboi23SX said:
How you know that?^^^ I thought in there genre they take pieces or something like that from 8-bit games?
it sounds like a 8-bit game theme cos it was made with a 8 bit machine. god damn, if you don't KNOW a **** about the machine or the art of MOD's, you should just STFU. I know quite a few musicians who have done work in the scenemusic, some are nowadays working in the gaming industry. It's not "word of mouth", it's a FACT. Timbo is just tryin to throw people off (and seems like it's working on some of you) from the fact that he took someone elses work and now calls it his.

Last edited:
People getting their feelings hurt over the Timbo controvery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back