What exactly is Reason and what does it do that FL Studio doesn't?

yea I use fl studio but I have to admit tha reason sounds ARE some amazing shyt, when I was using fl studio stock sounds and I heard my home boiz reason shyt, I waz str8 mad!! but shyt, hella beatz later and a lot of learnin and buyin new sounds, its all about how you use what you got, i dont knock nobodys shyt cuz itz people makin master pieces on Fl studio, Reason, M3s, Phantoms, Mpcs, and every other thing u can make music on

I agree with A.O. , but as an experienced reason user, my advice is to just rewire reason into another DAW and not to waste any more time making beats, or any music, using only reason. The sequencer is horrible, you will find, compared to most other DAWs. It's just extremely tedious and inconvenient.

i personally think that reason has the best sequencer on the market in term of simplicity i don't know what's tedious about it at all. i personally don't like fruity loops at all, it has more function but the interface to me is pure garbage. i'm not really impressed with vsts out there (stability is my main concern) i say use whatever is good for you.

I got a lot of dudes trying to switch me over to reason and I keep hearing about how great it is but I don't know exactly what it does and what makes it so great. One thing I heard was you couldn't host vst's or your own drums in it. Is this true?

1, You can't use VST (There are other thing to replace them), 2 You can use your own drums. 3. Now before I get to 3 I would like to say I use Reason myself..... with that being said F anybody that doesn't have your best interest at heart when it comes to your music. What are they gettin out of "Converting" you. If you comfortable wit what you use forget what everybody else is using. Don't be afraid to be you

Before this example, I definitely want to say use what you like the most, and what INSPIRES you the most. that's a definite yo

but here's an example of how reason has annoyed me when putting everything together. If you want to play your drums on a midi keyboard, and then go back to set the same velocity for each drum hit, you can't click and drag select each hit in the piano roll and type in a velocity. It won't assign that velocity to each hit. Things like that are annoying for someone who wants to pick up the program and do work without having to read the manual. Just an example. I support Reason, i just think its strongest point is easily its soundbank, and rewire is pretty easy so if you don't like the sequencer right away, consider that as an option

if all ur doing is recording midi then anything will work. reasons work flow is 2nd to none. its just not. anything u want is right their. u can edit anything u want in a matter of seconds. u can hook modules up like you can with real synths and what not. the cpu load it takes is almost none. it really feels like an extention of ur brain.

try it out. its not gonnna hurt. but if ur a pro at FL stick to it

reason is the fastest platform for making beats imo. its so quick and easy to create a beat that it simply blows any other daw/program out of the water for ease of use. i never could figure out that step sequencer in fl. **** FL anyway.

now that i have some higher quality sounds i mainly use it for making sample beats or programming drums - rewire into pro tools and use high quality sounds. reason is easiest for drums i love the redrum its so simple. nnxt, nn19, and dr rex are good for sample beats especially chopping in reycle then sampling with dr rex. its just like an mpc only better.

reason also has some good bass sounds and some cool fx in thor. combinator got some good sounds but when compared to high quality vsts it lacks texture. hard to tell once effects are added though.

i personally think that reason has the best sequencer on the market in term of simplicity i don't know what's tedious about it at all. i personally don't like fruity loops at all, it has more function but the interface to me is pure garbage. i'm not really impressed with vsts out there (stability is my main concern) i say use whatever is good for you.

I agree that Reason's sequencer is near the top of the line in terms of simplicity, recording quick parts, setting up controllers, timing stability, and recording automation.

The piano roll is what is bad. And it is extremely bad. Reason has one of the worst piano rolls I have seen:

No step edit (Matrix is not much better either only monophonic and gate input doesn't allow precise input of values except full scale or zero).

Must create a clip to draw in a note.
Must select clip first before editing a note.
Note able to drag input a repetitive chain of notes (Live has me spoiled).
No individual note muting (Live has me spoiled).
Can't divide notes.
Can't glue notes.
No curve tools.
Snap to grid values are pretty basic (can't go beyond 1/64th notes).

I think step editing and piano roll editing is where Fruityloops really outshine the competition. Fruityloops drum editor is more flexible than Redrum.

I think Reason however has a better sequencer though for actually playing your parts in.

To be fair, the MPC's didn't even have a piano roll and did have some of the worse midi editing interfaces (although event style editing is very powerful because it gives you ultimate control over everything and it is also good for troubleshooting a weird midi performance as well because it allows you to see everything, it is a shame most newer sequencers not include it completely).

I agree that Reason's sequencer is near the top of the line in terms of simplicity, recording quick parts, setting up controllers, timing stability, and recording automation.

The piano roll is what is bad. And it is extremely bad. Reason has one of the worst piano rolls I have seen:

No step edit (Matrix is not much better either only monophonic and gate input doesn't allow precise input of values except full scale or zero).

Must create a clip to draw in a note.
Must select clip first before editing a note.
Note able to drag input a repetitive chain of notes (Live has me spoiled).
No individual note muting (Live has me spoiled).
Can't divide notes.
Can't glue notes.
No curve tools.
Snap to grid values are pretty basic (can't go beyond 1/64th notes).

I think step editing and piano roll editing is where Fruityloops really outshine the competition. Fruityloops drum editor is more flexible than Redrum.

I think Reason however has a better sequencer though for actually playing your parts in.

To be fair, the MPC's didn't even have a piano roll and did have some of the worse midi editing interfaces (although event style editing is very powerful because it gives you ultimate control over everything and it is also good for troubleshooting a weird midi performance as well because it allows you to see everything, it is a shame most newer sequencers not include it completely).

That's why to have both rewired together is the best of both worlds. You can shut off the snap function and just play to the piano roll in FL with the Reason racks. Also, you can bypass Reason's mixer and route the devices straight to FL's mixer.

You can do the same in both. sampling with FL using only ONE program makes me smile alot. I use Reason and I am sampled based by the way and that could contribute to my chronic headaches.

reason is the fastest platform for making beats imo. its so quick and easy to create a beat that it simply blows any other daw/program out of the water for ease of use. i never could figure out that step sequencer in fl. **** FL anyway.

now that i have some higher quality sounds i mainly use it for making sample beats or programming drums - rewire into pro tools and use high quality sounds. reason is easiest for drums i love the redrum its so simple. nnxt, nn19, and dr rex are good for sample beats especially chopping in reycle then sampling with dr rex. its just like an mpc only better.

**** fl really ? Do you know how stupid that sounds ?
Ha ha and how could you not figure out the step sequencer thats the most simple thing to figure out! I couldn't even figure out reason first time round espically when you have to route the instruments you load up
but ableton and reaper has the best "work flow" and for the record sampling in fl couldn't be any easier with edison and the fpc and slicex and **** even slicer! But the best ever piece of software without a doubt ableton's drum rack ****s all over everything battery 3 and nnxt

man i think fl sounds are good but other than that i give it nothing, no disrespect to producers who using it who's stuff sound good. But to me it is the most unprofessional software that a producer could use. Reason is WAY WAY better i personally think. i spent a week with it and i got nothing good out of it.

man i think fl sounds are good but other than that i give it nothing, no disrespect to producers who using it who's stuff sound good. But to me it is the most unprofessional software that a producer could use. Reason is WAY WAY better i personally think. i spent a week with it and i got nothing good out of it.

a week, seriously?? I know its personal preference, and i kno you said no disrespect, but thats exactly what it is... Its as professional as the person whos using it, just like any other program. so its more accessiable, which meanz more wack "pa doo sas" can get a hold of it. but to call it unprofessional is knockin somebody like me, who put in work, and makes respectable product wit FL studio.

if you draw wit a pen and a draw wit a pencil thatz not gonna determine who picture look better

you can use whateva sounds you want as long as there not mp3's... I haven't read the whole thread but i was enuff to see he was being misinformed... If you told him you can use the redrum and use your own sounds the mybad but if not then here you go... Reason and any DAW as a combo is a very powerful beast. FL has it's lovers just like Reason does but it's all prefrence. U can use whateva sounds you want if you rewire it but if you use it as a stand alone you gotta chop samples in something else like cooledit and etc. good luck

i think we have come to the stage now, in terms of music software, where it doesn't really matter what you use. most music production suites on the market are professional products and the only people who attempt to put certain products down are those who are either misinformed or in need of an ego boost.

the fact is that professional releases have been made on fl studio, reason, sonar, ableton, etc.. i don't think the professional credibability of these programs needs to be called into question anymore.

as for the differences between reason and fl studio, the main difference is that reason is just a closed environment. the program is supposed to have everything that you will need to complete a tracks sans mastering the final product. the closed system is a good and bad thing as it offers stability (becoming less of an issue with computers getting better) and routing of individual instruments and fx in any way you could do with hardware devices. this makes reason a very powerful sound design tool and also makes it very fun to work with.

i choose to limit myself to working within reason because i like the workflow that reason offers. and to me that is a huge part of making music. something that is getting overlooked a lot as software gets more and more complex.

at the end of the day it comes down to what you are comfortable working with.

the only thing about working within reason is that there is no working with audio. NOW THAT DOESN'T AFFECT ME, but it could very well be a problem for a lot of producers out there. for me reason has everything i want and i never feel hindered by the limitations of the program at all.

IMO...i like the versatility of FL...to me it seems to be alot less limited than Reason...i also think FL has brighter audio...it's also easier for me to keep track of what i am doing in FL when my projects start to get kinda full w/o having to scroll up and down to the mixer and figure out whts connected to what...i also like the automation in FL...and i like the Video Player...i would say if you are someone looking to do alot of composing and keyboarding go with reason...if you need more functionality go FL

Back