Sampling in Logic...Thumbs down

kidgorgeous

Man, this has got to be the gayest sh*t. I wish i would have bought Ableton. Anybody got any tips? I don't care how many Youtube tutorials I watch, my computer is not acting the same way than what's in the videos. For one, this tap tempo is extremely screwed up. I start tapping then the sequencer turns on and then starts moving in increments with no tempo changes. And don't even get me started on how many screens I have to go through to make this miracle happen. Why can't I tap along to the sample as it's playing and have the tempo adjust like any normal program?

Strip silence is garbage, so basically I go to autochop and then try to bring my chops in the EXS. First it tells me the file name is too long, and after about a million clicks for each chopped piece it finally dumps it in the sampler. Yippee. But now it won't play.

Love the sounds and the loops and whatnot but this has got to be the most ass-backwards program i've ever dealt with. And I know how to work FLStudio, Ableton, Reaper, Cubase, and Sonar. Smh

Last edited:
And the main thing is, it's not really that fun making music in it in my opinion. Like I don't look forward to doing anything in it. There's way too many screens and hassle just to do simple sh*t. Maybe I'm passing judgement too soon, but I feel like I just blew $500.

i'm a new logic user as well....i have Recycle which i plan to chop up my samples in...hopefully that will work.

Yeah, looks like I'm a have to go the Recycle route myself. Sucks that everything can't be in one program. I miss Ableton Live and Drum Racks though:(. After staying up until 5, finally got the chops in Exs playing. Still lost on Tap Tempo though. There's so much minute crap in this program which I feel is completely unnecessary to get things done, it's ridiculous.

Yes, Logic has two world famous holes in it's game. Terrible audio tools and it's completely illogical. This information is hard to miss since people are constantly saying it.

I have recycle too but I havent figured out how to load the chopped samples into Logic and assign them to my controller

Its not as easy as clicking Fruity Slicer ill admit that but....

Logic is great when you figure out how to use it

what I do is chop my samples and loop it in FL studio then copy it to a flash drive and load it on Logic.....then add drums and such

the quality of the sample is better in Logic IMO

In hindsight I should have got Ableton and a couple of vst's over Logic, but since I dropped the money I'll stick it out. To Seany Mac, I think they got a tutorial specifically for what you're trying to do on the Apple website. Might wanna check it out.

Never thought I'd buy a program and wish for the sequel(Logic 9)so quickly. They've got to fix this man.

Seany Mac said:
I have recycle too but I havent figured out how to load the chopped samples into Logic and assign them to my controller

Its not as easy as clicking Fruity Slicer ill admit that but....
Create a new EXS24 Instrument using the .Rex file.

Anybody know how to save your audio files to a specific project folder for each project so they're not floating all over your hard drive? Also, how do you delete specific EXS instruments you created?

kidgorgeous said:
Anybody know how to save your audio files to a specific project folder for each project so they're not floating all over your hard drive?
When you save your project, at the bottom of the dialog there's checkboxes for "Include Assets", as well as Audio Files, Ultrabeat instruments, and EXS instruments. That saves the instruments and files within the logic project.

Yep, should've gone with LIVE 7.

No holes in LIVE at all. No need for Recycle. Tap Tempo works, etc.

With all due respect, I have been reading this thread and have had every issue you have listed. I have never even considered Live 7 though I have the lite version I have never even considered loading it. When I had these questions I was able to look these things up in the manuals (they are phone book size after all) pretty easily. I guess what I am saying is that I recognise that it is stressful learning a new software package. Software as deep as Logic will take you years to learn if you want to become 1 with the Logic universe. My only recommendations are

1. If you're not happy with Logic or you feel you made the wrong purchase, sell and buy Ableton Live 7.

2. If you have a question about how any software works consult the manual first. After you have consulted the manual if you still don;t understand then try the forums.

3. Consider buying joining the Logic forum its fantastic and they are extremely helpful, but they do not tolerate people who ask beginner questions without reading the manual.

4. Consider getting the Logic training videos. I got these and they are fantastic. Logic is 10 times deeper than Live. You may not need all of this depth, and thats for you to decide, but I have sold all (and it was a hell of alot) of hardware once I got Logic. I still have hardware (alot) but they complement each other for my needs. Music isn't a race. Enjoy the journey. its better than the destination. This pain your feeling is what it feels like to succeed. Anyone who has succeeded has felt this same pain.

Hope this helps.

InfamousGee said:
you should've bought sonar 8 which is better.

Lol, I got a Mac. And I know how to work Sonar. That's like my dad's all-time favorite program. It's just a little bit too stiff for me.

om64 said:
With all due respect, I have been reading this thread and have had every issue you have listed. I have never even considered Live 7 though I have the lite version I have never even considered loading it. When I had these questions I was able to look these things up in the manuals (they are phone book size after all) pretty easily. I guess what I am saying is that I recognise that it is stressful learning a new software package. Software as deep as Logic will take you years to learn if you want to become 1 with the Logic universe. My only recommendations are

1. If you're not happy with Logic or you feel you made the wrong purchase, sell and buy Ableton Live 7.

2. If you have a question about how any software works consult the manual first. After you have consulted the manual if you still don;t understand then try the forums.

3. Consider buying joining the Logic forum its fantastic and they are extremely helpful, but they do not tolerate people who ask beginner questions without reading the manual.

4. Consider getting the Logic training videos. I got these and they are fantastic. Logic is 10 times deeper than Live. You may not need all of this depth, and thats for you to decide, but I have sold all (and it was a hell of alot) of hardware once I got Logic. I still have hardware (alot) but they complement each other for my needs. Music isn't a race. Enjoy the journey. its better than the destination. This pain your feeling is what it feels like to succeed. Anyone who has succeeded has felt this same pain.

Hope this helps.

And I was honestly waiting for this post. Which even though is so eloquently worded pretty much translates to RTFM. Where do I start with the Logic manual? Hmmmm.I really didn't want to get into ALL the negative aspects of Logic, because I didn't want people to think Logic is a bad program. It's not. I was just taken aback by the complete inflexibilty of the Audio portion of Logic and the Tap Tempo. I wondered why a $500 program which everybody commends can be sorely lacking in these two basic functions, which a program like Fruity Loops has no problem undertaking. That's all.

And while we're on the subject of the 2 or 3 telephone books that came with Logic, It would not be in my best interest to sit down and read these Bibles cover to cover because by the time I finish, I like most humans would retain 10 to 25% of that information anyway. Having said that, I ALWAYS read the manuals cover to cover whenever I'm learning a new DAW. Sometimes even more than once(Reaper, Flstudio, Ableton). But when you're manuals literally climb to the 2000 page mark on fluff(and there is alot of that) that I would probably never use in a lifetime of making music, or 20 different ways to carry out one function, I just think it's a little impractical. What about the search function in the digital copies of Logic? I'm glad you asked. Probably one of the worst search functions I've ever seen in a manual. Rarely do i ever find what I'm looking for, which leads me to the question of why would I even read this garbage in the first place If I can't even find something as simple as deleting an EXS 24 instrument off the hard drive.

So why don't I sell and get Ableton? Don't feel like losing $150 to $200 in a matter of a week. Plus it's not all bad, don't get me wrong. I actually really love the instruments and the loops. Not a fan of the interface, but the sounds are top notch!

Last edited:
Back