how to make reason beats clear and professional sounding

Seems like Reason always needs a little bit of a treble eq after you export...ozone helps out alot...maybe Reason's eq's can pull it off...all depends on the sound you want & your workflow, i guess...

Didn't read the entire thread, but all my tracks come straight off reason, and I don't hear much that surpasses my quality even on a professional scale.

Hit me with an email I'll send you my template and instructions on what to do with it.

To anyone who thinks Reason is incapable of producing pro sound on it's own, you have to understand mastering to get the best sound out of anything. Reason doesn't come setup with great presets and glossy sounds off tops, but neither does a real keyboard or MPC.

It get's downed alot by the "new age" of producers who are used to top of the line FX, but if you've used hardware FX and mastering tools that you have to chain and do everything yourself on, you already know how to use the MClass mastering Suite and how to chain AUX FX so you can run what sounds you want thru them.

You also know you need a kick azz monitoring chain nomatter what you use to evaluate your quality and fix what's needed. End Result...Quality.

Sidenote: People worry to much about quality and not enough about making hot music. Avg. listener just wants hot music, alot of the best selling albums in history have been very sonically challenging to an engineering ear. Everyone from Coldplay to Timbaland to Dipset to 50Cent have had huge successes with albums that were very flawed in the engineering dept.

Nobodies gonna say "the Massacre" and "Curtis" were better albums than "Get Rich" because they sound clearer.

son...that beat is mad clear...on some distilled water type shyt...but i don't like the trax...the gunshot was uncalled for & totally out of context...if you tried to take that track and battle with it, I would hand you a white flag and say, "use it, don't abuse it"...I'm tired of cats tryin' to "get over" on sound quality alone...

Last edited by a moderator:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Didn't read the entire thread, but all my tracks come straight off reason, and I don't hear much that surpasses my quality even on a professional scale.

Hit me with an email I'll send you my template and instructions on what to do with it.

To anyone who thinks Reason is incapable of producing pro sound on it's own, you have to understand mastering to get the best sound out of anything. Reason doesn't come setup with great presets and glossy sounds off tops, but neither does a real keyboard or MPC.

It get's downed alot by the "new age" of producers who are used to top of the line FX, but if you've used hardware FX and mastering tools that you have to chain and do everything yourself on, you already know how to use the MClass mastering Suite and how to chain AUX FX so you can run what sounds you want thru them.

You also know you need a kick azz monitoring chain nomatter what you use to evaluate your quality and fix what's needed. End Result...Quality.

Sidenote: People worry to much about quality and not enough about making hot music. Avg. listener just wants hot music, alot of the best selling albums in history have been very sonically challenging to an engineering ear. Everyone from Coldplay to Timbaland to Dipset to 50Cent have had huge successes with albums that were very flawed in the engineering dept.

Nobodies gonna say "the Massacre" and "Curtis" were better albums than "Get Rich" because they sound clearer.

That's the best beat I heard from you... I sent you a pm...

^^^"Best" is in the eye of the beholder. That was a "composed" beat for a downsouth artist. I usually stick to samples and that boombap NY sound. Alot of people have told me that I sold out with that beat, lol. But every track I place someone calls me a sellout. I personally think it's pretty grimey to have absolutely no samples, but you can't please everyone.

I personally hate this beat and every beat I've ever done without samples, but in all honesty, being modest as possible, I am classically trained. From time to time I show it.

Check "Returns a King" on my myspace(Also made completely in Reason). It has a sample from the movie "The 300", but all the strings and breakdowns were played over the top. I like that one alot better, lol.

Last edited:
^^^"Best" is in the eye of the beholder. That was a "composed" beat for a downsouth artist.

Well, that's me, I'm just a fan of Melodic Music, as some you guys can tell from my music... lol

I'll check out that track... :sing:

EDIT: come to think of it, I worded that wrong, I should have said that was my favorite track from you. my fault...

Check "Returns a King" on my myspace(Also made completely in Reason). It has a sample from the movie "The 300", but all the strings and breakdowns were played over the top. I like that one alot better, lol.

dope track, I'm also feelin' Come and Get me (What sample is that?)

I still can't get enough of that Love Takes Time joint(all reason??) I don't see why noone samples more of Mariah Carey's older tracks...

Last edited:
Yeah mixing at a good level is something that you just have to put alot of time and effort to. Experience is the key so never give up cause the more you try the better its gonna come out

JSLmusic said:
Well, that's me, I'm just a fan of Melodic Music, as some you guys can tell from my music... lol

I'll check out that track... :sing:

EDIT: come to think of it, I worded that wrong, I should have said that was my favorite track from you. my fault...

dope track, I'm also feelin' Come and Get me (What sample is that?)

I still can't get enough of that Love Takes Time joint(all reason??) I don't see why noone samples more of Mariah Carey's older tracks...
"Come And Get Me" is a sample from a Carolyn Franklin song. I'm pretty sure the song is called "Come and get me". That was "All Reason" as well.

Everything on my soundclick is from my FL Studio/SONAR Days except "Street Ensemble" which is the 1st track I ever did soley in Reason(Mixed that 1 in SONAR).

I think since I started doing everything inside Reason without outsourcing, my quality has improved alot. Contrary to most who say "Reason's sound quality isn't good enough". If they sold the MClass mastering Suite as VST/RTAS, those would be my mastering tools for everything. They're low latency, easy on CPU and cover everything an M.E. needs better than alot of other companies that charge you 4-8 times the cost of Reason for theres.

Until that day, I just turn off my limiter, Rewire to SONAR/Protools, and add UAD plugs over the top of vocals for finished songs(yes, I'm saying I prefer Reason Plugs over UAD, crazy ain't I?).

The Day they put Audio Recording in Reason, it will be the only thing I use.

Yo Deranged,

really nice sound clear and punchy....!!! All that from inside Reason, thats good to see and hear !!!

Man, check this... I was in Atlanta last month for the Propellerheads producers conference, and both Mr. Bangladesh and Dj Toomp were there as featured artists. While Mr. Bangladesh did not give any reference to his use of reason at all, he talked about his MPC 2000XL and how if it ain't broke don't fix it, that dude was high or something; Dj Toomp was more than excited and apt to tell of his Reason use and the abilities thereof. He played The Recession from Jeezy's new album, the intro track to T.I.'s paper trail, and Kanye West Big Brother and Goodlife w/ T-Pain respectively. We all watched in awe as he loaded these tracks up into reason and pressed play. Talk about clean, loud, and professional! What was even crazier was that most if not all of the sounds used in all those songs were stock sounds with stock effects! (and a sample on the recession track loaded into Dr. Rex):mad: Dude like me got every refill available and he using stock sounds, and he gettin paid AND he on the radio. So if that ain't a testimony to how professional Reason is and the sound that can be achieved with talent and knowledge of production technique, I don't know what else to say. You can get it done in Reason and Reason alone, period. I'm a living witness. And alll Toomp's engineer said is that they track the beat out and run it through a SSL console. But yall should have heard what it sounded like straight off the laptop. FIRE!!! Reason users show these folk how it's done baby. Stay pimpin FP!

^^man i had noooo idea that those songs were made from reason... I need to spend so much more time on it... I'm already deprived of sleep

If they sold the MClass mastering Suite as VST/RTAS, those would be my mastering tools for everything.

so you're saying that you would rock the M-Class instead of Izotope's Ozone if you had to choose?!?! :bigeyes:

^^^I'm pretty sure Ozone and M-Class are made by the same guys. Could be wrong. But yes. M-Class is laid out different even if it is ultimately the same FX engine.

DAYUMN GANGSTA!!! that sheit almost blew my MDR-7506'z!!!

dat sheit bang foo!!!

BaNaNa$!!!

Bananas.jpg

now this guy told me all he uses is reason 4 to make beats and thats it. i need you to check out his myspace page and let me know can you get it to soud that good in just reason without a daw. its myspace.com/allineedizmuzik chek it out

Hey Reasoners - may I ask that why do you think that Reason can't produce PRO sound - in fact there was a comparison in Computer Music's Reason 4 SPECIAL magazine ("The great mixing debate") between a Reason setup and a £20K ProTools rig.

They used both setups with the same source sounds and mixed them in both platforms. Guess what - the mixes sounded almost the same which proves that Reason is all you need.

Some facts for you to know. Soundengine - there's no such a thing - the code for audio engine is the same - all developers take the basic code from a book - do you really believe that there's some kind of hidden audio handling engine that calculates the sound to make it sound as good as possible.

If there would be such a thing as soundengine then why hasn't any developer made device called "SOUNDENGINE" and let you choose between various soundengine modes.

DSP (digital signal processing) - is based on basic codes that are part of your computer/OS - developers start with those Codes and Laws and take them further by combining several methods - they draw some signal handling "engines"/routings - test them on audio to find good sounding results - which is hard. These methods are used to make effects and softsynths. This sounds easy but it's not, as time goes on developers develope more acurate and better sounding tools - digital technology gets closer to highend hardware, but honestly, the software tools are already that good that producers 20 years ago woulda kill for Reason.

Another important thing:
We talk a lot about the quality of Compressors and EQ's etc. but IMHO people count on these tools way too much, SURE you can manipulate the sound a lot with effects, but what is it you want to archieve?
Phat, yet clear and crisp sound? Warm and banging?

My opinion about this is that lot of producers don't put enough effort to study how to archieve certain results and also they are blind to realize some of the facts.

1) Gettin clear sound: It's all about the balance of all the sounds playing at the same time, too much low end eats out rest of the frequencies - highpass most of the sounds except bass and kick. The whole frequency range of keys chords as example playing at the same time as vocal lines fight for certain freqs - EQ cut both sounds at different range - this way both sounds get their own place that stands out.

2) Pan and find a place for all sound.

3) Less is more - don't use too many sounds at the same time - it will be a mess if you do.

4) To make more angrier sound - use Scream 4's overdrive.

5) Not all the sounds should be Phat - only some sounds should dominate the track - all others are just supportive sounds.

6) Start with good quality sounds, you can't turn quiet sound being massive, only when you distort hell out of it. Garbage in garbage out.

7) Use your ears, learn to understand your tools, practise a lot - take your time. Use and learn your monitors - listen to some quality music and compare them against yours.

8) Vocal lines, why don't they sound as big - you can get 200$ mic but you should invest at least 500$ into your preamp - like True P-solo or Grace 101m.

9) Make a decent track and work on it 1 month or as long as needed to get it right - if you made a Real club banger and you really really like it, then send it to a mastering engineer that does the final trick.

Any other questions?

Last edited:
you cannot master in reason i dont care what anyone says ive been to a mastereing studio and the things i saw done in their cannot be done in reason.... i think it would be beneficial for everyone who believes you can master in reason to go to a professional mastering studio and see how Mastering is done. ...... however you can get a mean azz mix in reason if you know you ish ..... my advice is to touch every single knob and see what it does and combine sounds and effects try to do everything that reason can do ..just experiment you never know ......

Back