Getting bored with Reason.....

What new modules would you have added? To me Reason is very complete as a compositional tool. Record has a lot of room to grow and let's not forget they added Neptune improved the time stretch and added a few things to make the core user base people happier. Those who use it stand alone. For those who rewire I ask again what modules would you add as far as sounds go? How many new synths do you need? Thor is fairly deep itself.

I can only speak for myself, but personally, I think that Record could benefit from a convolution reverb, or maybe even a new algorithmic reverb. RV 7000 just doesn't sound as clean to me as Altiverb, Aether, Redline, or even Valhalla Room. A new reverb would be great for Reason and Record. Another addition would be a real FM synth. I've been doing a lot of research and experimenting with FM synthesis recently with Live's Operator. I really would like to get FM 8, but I think it just makes more sense to get Komplete. Reason has no 4 operator or 6 operator FM synth at all. I'm not taking anything away from Thor. It is deep, and I haven't spent enough time really digging in to it's sound architecture. Recently, I've only been using Live's own Analog and Operator. I've also been using Cakewalk's Rapture, and that's it.

please point out where i "blamed" anyone? i just stated my opinion... here is another one of my opinions... i think "workflow" is overrated... because... again in my opinion... music is based on a groove, melody and harmony... and not a "workflow"... the time i put in to thinking/worrying about a "workflow" i could actually be putting a groove, melody and harmony together... THE ACTUAL MUSIC...

I agree with you when you say that, "the time i put in to thinking/worrying about a "workflow" i could actually be putting a groove, melody and harmony together... THE ACTUAL MUSIC...".

I don't agree with you when you say, ""workflow" is overrated".

When you have the right workflow, you don't think about it anymore. You just make music.

not sure what having the "right" workflow means... what happen when a individual purchases a new controller/product? does the workflow change? if the "workflow" changes... then which is the "right" workflow? i feel focusing on the "actual" music will make an individual more productive than "workflow"...

That's my point. If you purchase a new controller, your workflow will change. When you are using a computer to make music, like it or not, you have to put time into setting your system up and organizing everything. This takes time. Once you have things just the way you want them, you don't have to think about it anymore. You just make music. When you get to that point, you know that your workflow is on point.

that is my point also... looking for that "right workflow" is a like crack addict looking for that next "great" hit... in other words... you will always be searching for that "right workflow" ... groove, melody and harmony is a constant... therefore... why put a lot of thought into "workflow" when it could change tomorrow? again the groove, melody, and harmony is a constant...

I understand what you mean, but you have to put some time in with a computer. This stuff doesn't come together until you do. I could understand your point of view if you were just using one hardware workstation like a Motif. Then you don't have to worry about workflow at all, because it's already created for you. Then, all that there is, is your "groove, melody, and harmony", once you pick your sounds. Using a computer, different midi controllers and DAWs is a much different story. IMHO, that's why a lot of people prefer hardware over software set ups. They don't have to worry about their setup as much. It's already figured out, so you can just make music.

I think that a software setup is much more personal. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for the next. It took me a while to get my setup just where I wanted it. I never did find a desk that was what I wanted, so I built my own work desk. I have an APC 40 right next to my MPD 32 in front of my two 22" monitors. That the way I like things. To my right is a Remote 37 SL on top of my Motif, and everything is linked to everything through Live.

if your tired of reason.. then use what will make you happy. but one thing about myself is i hate starting over once i've learned or mastered something. i haven't mastered reason 5 because there so many possibilities that i can never approach music the same way. i think alot of us are looking for this super big giantic synth or the giantic sound or the most realistic sound every made when half the time most of the sounds that we need are right in our face. now i agree reason can use a fm8 type of synth. (even though i'm not that big on fm8 sounds for me highly overrated but good for certain things). but use what will make you happy. i also think alot of times we get bored because we feel like everythign has been played or been done before. try to create your own unique sound or style of music in whatever genre you like to make.

I don't have an answer to the original question... but after all this conv, I am definitely gonna check out Reaper and the latest Appleton joint.... I always liked Reason(still using Reason 3) because of the virtual rack concept... I like hardware myself so that suits me... Reaper looks cool though... as far as VST's and such... I'm of the opinion that a talented person will be able to make good music with just about anything, so the lack of plugins hadn't crossed my mind as a serious draw back... Which DAW do ya'll feel is superior and why? I remember Fruity Loops was a joke, and ProTools was the hot item some years back, and now it not getting mentioned as much as FL...

please point out where i "blamed" anyone? i just stated my opinion... here is another one of my opinions... i think "workflow" is overrated... because... again in my opinion... music is based on a groove, melody and harmony... and not a "workflow"... the time i put in to thinking/worrying about a "workflow" i could actually be putting a groove, melody and harmony together... THE ACTUAL MUSIC...

again... it boils down to what tools an individual has available... lets look at drum parts... what does it take to put your drums together in Reason? in my opinion... it takes a lot of work... but with tools like Stylus RMX... any sound you get from dr. rex, octrex, nnxt, redrum, kong, etc you can have in Stylus RMX with 5% of the work it takes in Reason... therefore... if an individuals want to spends hours on end creating patches... cool!!!... personally, i rather just make music... as a Reason owner since verision 1 and now verision 5... when "I" open Reason up there is that "hurdle" of creating patches/combinators... i rather get right to making music and let the "professional" sound designer create the sounds for me!!!

that is not "BLAMING" anyone... just stating a preference...

please do not start with that "BASHING/BLAMING" stuff... because then the threads turns into a pissing contest...

OK?

i am just stating my "feelings/opinions" on the subject matter... they just differs from yours...

PERIOD!!!
you ran off the handle there lol. who said you blamed anyone for defending anything? All I said was that I wasn't. And who spends hours creating sounds unless you are perhaps recreating sounds? If it takes u hours to load a drum kit in Reason I kind of feel for you because it takes me a matter of seconds. I build synth patches because more often than not its a lot faster searching through a bunch of them trying to find the one I need. Overall I think you are just reaching for reasons to knock Reason the same way you have for some time now. If you do not like Reason I don't get why still have the license.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

I understand what you mean, but you have to put some time in with a computer. This stuff doesn't come together until you do. I could understand your point of view if you were just using one hardware workstation like a Motif. Then you don't have to worry about workflow at all, because it's already created for you. Then, all that there is, is your "groove, melody, and harmony", once you pick your sounds. Using a computer, different midi controllers and DAWs is a much different story. IMHO, that's why a lot of people prefer hardware over software set ups. They don't have to worry about their setup as much. It's already figured out, so you can just make music.

I think that a software setup is much more personal. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for the next. It took me a while to get my setup just where I wanted it. I never did find a desk that was what I wanted, so I built my own work desk. I have an APC 40 right next to my MPD 32 in front of my two 22" monitors. That the way I like things. To my right is a Remote 37 SL on top of my Motif, and everything is linked to everything through Live.
I always felt hardware was more personal because it was something you can touch and feel lol. As far as loading and playing why can't you do that in Reason? With the right refills you can do a lot. Seems like more people should look into more combinator patches.
i feel what you are saying too... i feel whatever setup an individual uses software, hardware, Reason, Logic, apc40, remote sl, etc... your studio... my studio... the next man's studio, etc... the "actual music" will sound exactly the same... one "workflow" may be more enjoyable to use than the other... but the "actual music" will sound the same... that is why i feel "workflow" is overrated in my opinion... because the "workflow" does not create the "actual music"... the individual does!!!
these tools are so similar that Im not sure why workflow wouldn't be the deciding factor. Not that you don't make a good point here about the music being the most important factor here but I think being able to easily get your ideas down quickly before they are lost is just as important.

I can only speak for myself, but personally, I think that Record could benefit from a convolution reverb, or maybe even a new algorithmic reverb. RV 7000 just doesn't sound as clean to me as Altiverb, Aether, Redline, or even Valhalla Room. A new reverb would be great for Reason and Record. Another addition would be a real FM synth. I've been doing a lot of research and experimenting with FM synthesis recently with Live's Operator. I really would like to get FM 8, but I think it just makes more sense to get Komplete. Reason has no 4 operator or 6 operator FM synth at all. I'm not taking anything away from Thor. It is deep, and I haven't spent enough time really digging in to it's sound architecture. Recently, I've only been using Live's own Analog and Operator. I've also been using Cakewalk's Rapture, and that's it.
why not use a combinator and drop a Thors in it and create all the operators you need? Its not ideal but I am not sure how that synth would be benefical. As far as new reverbs I personally would like to see a new Chorus/Flanger device added as the one thats been there since version 1 imo doesn't sound too good at all. Other than that I still feel Reason especially with Record is a very complete setup. If its ideal for everyone or not is clearly another story.
if your tired of reason.. then use what will make you happy. but one thing about myself is i hate starting over once i've learned or mastered something. i haven't mastered reason 5 because there so many possibilities that i can never approach music the same way. i think alot of us are looking for this super big giantic synth or the giantic sound or the most realistic sound every made when half the time most of the sounds that we need are right in our face. now i agree reason can use a fm8 type of synth. (even though i'm not that big on fm8 sounds for me highly overrated but good for certain things). but use what will make you happy. i also think alot of times we get bored because we feel like everythign has been played or been done before. try to create your own unique sound or style of music in whatever genre you like to make.

I agree that we get bored often times with what we have and vst capability offers us to get more. I personally would rather grab more patches as I do not see most of these tools as very different especially once you get into sound sculpting. Reason is capable of creating almost any sound you can think of with a little know how.

I am in the same exact boat, I like many of the the refills, But i feel too limited. I started out on the MP got introduced to reason, and been on it ever since(about 4 years now). I made a whole shit load of hot beats on it so im not mad at all, but bottom line is I need VSTs. I tried making beats in cubase couldn't **** wit it. i just started using FL last week and Im still finding my way around it. Ppl say FL is so easy to use, but I cant quite figure this shit out yet(my main gripe being the step sequence and squirrely quantization). I learned my way around reason and an MPC in a few days, but I have more of a learning curve with FL for some reason..... Maybe the shit is so simple to use that I'm over thinking it. Who knows,...sorry for writing a book.

yea.. that is how you feel about reason after awhile.. it's mainly because the lack of vst capability

Ya that plays a part. I like Reaper because its so open and supports many formats like VST, VSTi, AU and DXi.

I am in the same exact boat, I like many of the the refills, But i feel too limited. I started out on the MP got introduced to reason, and been on it ever since(about 4 years now). I made a whole shit load of hot beats on it so im not mad at all, but bottom line is I need VSTs. I tried making beats in cubase couldn't **** wit it. i just started using FL last week and Im still finding my way around it. Ppl say FL is so easy to use, but I cant quite figure this shit out yet(my main gripe being the step sequence and squirrely quantization). I learned my way around reason and an MPC in a few days, but I have more of a learning curve with FL for some reason..... Maybe the shit is so simple to use that I'm over thinking it. Who knows,...sorry for writing a book.

Use the piano roll, not the step sequencer. set the 'snap' setting for the project to "line" or "none" and tap out pattern you want. the "<" ans "Q" keys are middle C if you don't have a midi controller. once your done with the pattern hit "alt+q" in the piano roll. that opens the quantitizer. from there, if you go into the "groove templates" folder you get all kinds of modes for quantization.

Last edited:
Just downloaded Reaper... I like this so far but I'm not sure It's gonna replace Reason for me... although I've never been big into plugins, Reaper's compatiblity with them(as well as ReWire) might open up more possiblities... probably go for best of both worlds approach...

The title of the thread is not a diss, it's a wonderful thing, but as of late--i am looking for other options. Like, maybe, Logic/sonar/cubase....if you had to start over tomorrow w/something totally different for a DAW, what would be your pick, and why?

I used to like reason and cubase a lot, but since i switched to Studio One, I've never looked back. It has a lot of great features built in straight out of the box, such as soundfont players, drum machines, easy to sample with and so much more. You should check it out.

in all honesty komplete 7 is highly overrated... it some good sound but nothing groundbreaking. i have pro tools logic and cubase along with tons of vsts (most i barely use) too cluttered for my workflow. some are good but alot are highly overrated... i don't konw how many of you make your own preset and setup your own workflow. but in reason i have everything seperated by catergory thats one of the things i did first did and it only took me a hour to do. sometime i feel we as producers/beatmakers need to create our own workflow instead of relying on the software to do everything for us.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

get an Ipad, Omnishpere and Omnis TR (touch remote for omnisphere) and then come back... if your scope is only Reason then i totally understand where you are coming from... but there are some "bad ass" products on the market that makes Reason look like a toy... FACT!!! and that is what the OP is talking about... Reason is boring to some... FACT!!!

i have to disagree you realize how deep reason is. now yes i agree there are some good vsts out ther but there nothing i have seen that make reason look like a toy. not even komplete 7 make reason look like a toy. reason is just as good any other tool out there its user not the software..

Vsts are nothing but sounds in a shell often with presets applied to them (reverb,eq, little layering etc)

If you need more sounds then get more refills or take your refills and throw them in the combinator and make new ones. There isn't a sound in a vst or workstation that reason can't get.

This has been proven at Namm as well as kvr

you can walk right into GC with your laptop and reason go to a workstation pick a sound and see exactly what settings are be used to tweak that sound and do the same in reason (easier w/ the comibnator). The sounds in the workstations sound just as bare without the settings

Last edited:
Use the piano roll, not the step sequencer. set the 'snap' setting for the project to "line" or "none" and tap out pattern you want. the "<" ans "Q" keys are middle C if you don't have a midi controller. once your done with the pattern hit "alt+q" in the piano roll. that opens the quantitizer. from there, if you go into the "groove templates" folder you get all kinds of modes for quantization.

Thanks for the help out.... One thing I can say about FL is it has an advantage when it comes to making trap/south/popular type of beats...you can do those hi hat rolls so easy in there. Unfortunately, I don't make that kind of music lol.

Thanks for the help out.... One thing I can say about FL is it has an advantage when it comes to making trap/south/popular type of beats...you can do those hi hat rolls so easy in there. Unfortunately, I don't make that kind of music lol.

They can be done just as easy in Reason or anything else.. especially if you are using a controller that has note repeat

if you make music still want somebody to do the work for you when your looking for sounds. hey everybody different but i being able to tweak and fiddle to get my own unique sound its more fun can just scrolling through a bunch of presets...

thats exactly what you are doing its not a preset its as soon as you tweak a knob or add your own effects it becomes your own person sound to your liking.

i agree 110%...

but my question is... why reinvent the wheel? why waste time creating patches when their a "professionals" creating them? sound creation and music making (in my opinion) are two separate functions... why be concerned with creating patches when composing? i feel in most cases an individual "could" get side tracked while making patches while composing... it is like tapping your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time... they are individuals that cant do both....

i'd rather know exactly how to create a sound i have in mind than look through a bunch of presets just to find the closest thing to it. you can always play your notes out before you start programming a patch so you won't forget your idea.

Back