MPC 4000 vs. MV 8000 or whatever

Believe it or not the box isn't a beta. The original projected release date was in September. Roland delayed the release until December 10th so they could make the MV as close to perfect as possible. I have tried a number of things like plugging in MIDI cables with it powered on and holding down various keys while I powered on the unit. I have been unable to crash it even once.

Don't worry about the 490 PPQ resolution. Less than 3 weeks isn't a long time with the device, but as near as I can tell this is nothing more than a lot of propaganda being posted by zealots. I don't know of any objective way to test this resolution and neither do those dudes whining about it. Without daily hands-on experience and reading the owner's manual they have no basis for an argument. They can’t compare their prior MPC experience with the MV because the hardware and software of these machines are totally different, and the instruments are from two different vendors. Any likenesses are vague at best.

About the linear sequencing...the short story is this...Roland figured about a way to make linear sequencing functionally identical to pattern sequencing. All the details are there in the owner's manual. The problem is those fools who owned the MV for a week and returned it never read the manual or gave adequate time to the MV. They expected a Roland MPC, and when they didn't get one they condemned it. I provided some information on sequencing in private mail to a couple persons who wrote to me expressing their thanks for my early reports. In the near future I might release more of this to everyone in general.

I also found clues in the owner’s manual that show without any doubt Roland had pattern sequencing under development. Since no one knows for sure if it is going to be implemented in the Version 2.0 OS, I am not going to say any more on this point. Just let me reiterate that I am the only one who found those pages, or others would have reported it by now. If pattern sequencing is in the next OS, then I will tell everyone what I found. In the meantime, MV owners should read their manual closely, and they might make the same discovery.

To answer your question about multisamples and velocity switching, I have not tried that yet. There are many things yet to try. On a daily basis I am making small discoveries. These things are not on the MPC. Sometimes the discovery involves an improvement in the interface, like being able to just hit a cursor key to move a track up and down in the track list. Other times it is a discovery like how I can grab a section from a sample and instantly assign it to a pad. Simply put, the MV-8000 is a wonderful box, so don't let the negative heads on various websites try to poison your mind.

Watch the eBay prices. Some early buyers gave up immediately. It happens with every new musical instrument to some degree. You might be able to get an MV for $1,500 or less on eBay. The unit could not have much play time on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2371179373

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2370407280&category=1287

about MV 8000

I played around with the mv-8000 and I must say it's a fine piece of hardware....If I do decide to get this...I ain't making no body touch the ****....the only problem I think this machine has is the microphone input..mv 8000 only takes a stereo mic.....and i'm looking to record using a condenser mic....so as I said I'll do most of the production with mv 8000 and transfer the file to Cubase and record vocals with cubase....this will be a big investment...but I guess you can't expect one machine to do everything!....

Here are two links I got from the Roland Catalog...

www.rolandus.com/rug/mv8000
&
www.Rolandus.com/rug/audio

hope I helped!

NastiB:)

As far as I know the MV should be able to accept separate mikes for each channel because the owner's manual states, "You can connect microphones or line-level devices here." The noun is plural, so I take that to mean separate mikes for each channel can be used.

If not, there might be a workaround for your microphone problem. The MV includes microphone modeling. In the editing screen you can set both equalizer channels to work simultaneously on Channel A with the Link switch. Various selections for microphone input and output are made in the microphone modeling screen. Check the effects section during another store visit and you'll see what I mean.

the mv should be able to take in mics according to what i have read....but i dont think it has phantom power so you might be stuck with the sm58 or get a preamp.....
anyways MV producer, how do you do your tracks. has it changed the way you look at doin music now? currently i am using a triton le and effects are hard to come by so i basically record a basic drum loop in the MPC with hats and snares but no kicks yet....then i load up a combi in the triton and start creating sounds and a loop that i can use....then i record that onto cool edit pro and export that to one of the MPC pads....then i do that over and over again.....i was just wondering if the roland would make my life any easier....
peace
jeff

jkung said:
the mv should be able to take in mics according to what i have read....but i dont think it has phantom power so you might be stuck with the sm58 or get a preamp.....
anyways MV producer, how do you do your tracks. has it changed the way you look at doin music now? currently i am using a triton le and effects are hard to come by so i basically record a basic drum loop in the MPC with hats and snares but no kicks yet....then i load up a combi in the triton and start creating sounds and a loop that i can use....then i record that onto cool edit pro and export that to one of the MPC pads....then i do that over and over again.....i was just wondering if the roland would make my life any easier....
peace
jeff

No recent production gear has effects that can touch COSM effects. PERIOD. Yes, it would make your life easier, but so would an external effects processor module.

Red Dot Em said:
the only thing that matters between the two products is the sequencer. If the sequencer can't do what the MPC can do which it almost can but it just can't then it's a waste of time.

It depends on what type of guy you are.
Do you buy
Ralph Lauren Polo or
C.H.A.P.S
You (C)ould (H)ave (A) (P)olo (S)hirt

but you don't.

See you could have had an MPC but you now have a second level machine. .
I know if you grab an MPC the sequencer will never let you down.

duke you sound like a azz fighting over a seq its don`t mmatter if the mpc seq is tighter who cares all music today sound just find and every body don`t use no got damn mpc look at the neptunes they use some korg keyboard to seq all there beats and im pretty sure the mpc seq is tighter then that korg board o ya the m1 i think and i don`t hear nobody saying damn yo the neptunes drum sound ****ty cause there seq is not tight enuff they make mills and don`t use a mpc so fall back cause you makein yo self look like a azz !!! mv or mpc producer tellin people about the mv-8000 and you knockin it !! in im guessin u never used the damn thing b4 i like linear seq i used to have a mpc and a asr-x pro and do pattern to pattern seq to make songs into i start usein cubase sx which is linear and you no i hate computer music but i luv that damn linear cause i can do a song fast i don`t have to cut paste copy hit this key and theat key i just drop the beat and im done .
i played with the mv-8000 and i like it its nice im gonna get one soon as i sale this crappy azz triton of mine im waiting for the vga thing for th mv-8000 which i saw already ha ha ha na for real i saw it it look like cubase if some one tell me how to put links to the video of the mv-8000 runin with the software i will put them up

F IT yall want more video of the mv-8000? i will give it to ya but unless you know japenese you can just watch the vid go here and click on the vid this should answer some of yo qeston about the seq http://www.roland.co.jp/FrontScene/index.html press mv-8000 then movie on the left:D show me luv

wait after the video and listen to the wack azz hiphop song for the tightness of the seq

That movie was totally cool! It showed just how tight the sequencer is and the BPM Synch of Audio tracks that I discussed in a different post. Everybody should watch this movie. Then they will understand why the MV is going to be one of the most popular products of 2004.

At one point it looked like the demonstrator was saying that AKAI CDs will be read. Does anyone understand Japanese? It was interesting to see the prototype MV. Is there a way to save the movie? It's delivered using Macromedia Flash.

MV-8000

Yo thanks ethernine..the movie wasn't bad...but what the **** was he saying?.....:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Dot Em shut yo mouf

Originally posted by Red Dot Em :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I use the 4000 is for the ease that it works with my PC and the sequencer.
I've used other sequencers and they just are not as tight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yo, stop your F#$en lieing son......you had to buy the mpc 4000 to sample sounds or why would you buy such a machine?....Face it the MPC is a sampling/Sequencer machine it's designed to chop and sample...so don't give me no ****....about just using keyboards...because you know darn well know that you want to sample just like the rest of us!

NastiB getting Nasty!

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
NastiB said:
Yo thanks ethernine..the movie wasn't bad...but what the **** was he saying?.....:D

i don`t have a f**kin clue im black i only know how to speak a lol korean but on there he put a akai cd in bomm the mv8000 load the sounds in and mapped his sh*t i say nice i will be pickin one up very very soon

MV Producer said:
That movie was totally cool! It showed just how tight the sequencer is and the BPM Synch of Audio tracks that I discussed in a different post. Everybody should watch this movie. Then they will understand why the MV is going to be one of the most popular products of 2004.

At one point it looked like the demonstrator was saying that AKAI CDs will be read. Does anyone understand Japanese? It was interesting to see the prototype MV. Is there a way to save the movie? It's delivered using Macromedia Flash.

whats up mv
yea i can understand japanese a lil being that im a fighter i made out him sayin akai cd rom but i have to holla at my guy for that he from japan so i will answer your qeston tonight

I hope everyone read my first installments of the MV-8000 reviews. To better communicate the material to those interested in the machine, I am moving the series to a different website.

On Sunday I will post Part 3 here on Future Producers since most people here are receptive to the MV. Part 3 will be split into two portions with the first half providing information about one of the below topics, and the second half covering a surprise topic that will interest sampler enthusiasts.

With the weekend still a few days away I would like to know which topic you would prefer reading about in the first half of Part 3. I have two choices planned:

1. Different track types and their usage
2. Linear sequencing and its components

Send your choice in private mail so the forum is not crowded with many short posts. Then wait for Part 3 on Sunday.

by sayin im a fighter i do NHB fightin like ufc on pay per view and i have a few friends from japan so i made out what he said a bit but my guy could tell what he said for sure but he can`t tell me cause his azz only speaks a lil english lol that f**k up but who cares the mv is tight and im sure after this namm show on the 15th roland will have the vga output out and a new os for it and im sure a site for the mv-8000 will be up soon with a big azz demo and songs and video like the mc909

by the way mvproducer i wanna holla at you but i can`t find the dumb azz pm button but if you can put yo email up i wanna ask you something

This new website look is terrible. It's too big and way too dark. It's a modified clone of MPC-Tutor with a change towards the dark side. To enter the Private Mail area begin on the Forums web page and click on the dark color "Private Messages" near the top of the page. It's actually a link, though it doesn't look like one.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/

Hi folks!

Got my MV-8000 today :-)

I do not come from a hip-hop/MPC (whatever...) background, I'm a bit more into things in the styles of Tangerine Dream to Skinny Puppy and beyond. I.e. the "old school".

So, my take on the MV is as a hardware sequencer first, replacing the feeble Ataris/Macs/PCs (that's really office equipment, as you all know!). The sampler is a bonus feature for me, and will likely be used for vocals.

I'll be monitoring this discussion and offering my comments as appropriate.

One question for MV Producer:
What is the "short link" for (small metal wire, strangely shaped thing) - power supply voltage selection? no... hmm...? BTW, mine is missing from the box - hope it's nothing important :)

DJ
--

I also thought the wire was missing, but you actually have it. The wire is used to short two inputs when they are not in use. This prevents noise, according to the Quick Start guide. Look on the back of your MV and you will find the shorting wire already inserted at the factory.

Last edited:
Yo, I'm so happy for you guys man...you got your stuff going and ****....I can't wait to get mines soon...so I can start making ill beats like crazy....keep this mv 8000 forum running....we need stuff like this...

Nasti B ;)

Back