Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: THE DIFFERENCE: Hardware Vs. Software (video)

kvmoore is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I understand the point the guy in the video was making about sampling from Vinyl records to get that dirty sound. Although hip-hop producer have been doing this for years, I'm very skeptical about sampling from records these days because of the stiffer sample clearance laws. If I developed my so-called signature sound by creating my own custom drum kit from vinyl record sampled drums, I'd have to get them cleared. Wouldn't that be expensive if you used them in a lot of your tracks and released them? I would think so.

That's why I would prefer purchasing drums sample CDs libraries or resampling my on drums from various pieces of gear that I already own. Then I can processes them, apply effects, layer them, whatever...... If I want to make them sound dirty, I can just add some turntable crackling noise or other lo-fi effect to them or something as part of the processing. I'll try anything just to be creative. In my honest opinion, sampling from records is expensive and trying to get away with it by not getting them cleared is waaayyy too risky.

Mattman04 is offline Kit Ramsey's brother
    Thanks
    "now when he says that i will admit to the MPC gives you a fuller kick"

No it does'nt. Not if your using a decent audio card anyway.
    A good soundcard will capture as much of a sample as a mpc, and probably slightly more.(24bit vs. 16bit.)
    Last edited by Mattman04; 05-29-2007 at 01:14 PM.

ray1411 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    no can tell where you get your drums when you sample..that close to impossible to win in court...

now samples...when it comes to low level stuff like under 10000 copies sold ....no one cares...but let your arse sell 50000+ copies then you should clear it...

mattmann just go try it...drop a kick in your software...FL is you can...becasue thats my comparison...and then drop it into a MPC...and you can tell the difference if you pay attention...its not an issue in my opinion...
    Last edited by ray1411; 05-29-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mattman04 is offline Kit Ramsey's brother
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1411
    no can tell where you get your drums when you sample..that close to impossible to win in court...

now samples...when it comes to low level stuff like under 10000 copies sold ....no one cares...but let your arse sell 50000+ copies then you should clear it...

mattmann just go try it...drop a kick in your software...FL is you can...becasue thats my comparison...and then drop it into a MPC...and you can tell the difference if you pay attention...its not an issue in my opinion...
    I did that before my soundcard just as accurate.
    All modern software outputs identicaly too so using fl, cubase, sonar, or whatever wont make a differance.
    Last edited by Mattman04; 05-29-2007 at 01:45 PM.

BenL is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Thanks
    Sorry have to retell the truth...

MPC + Turntable = True Hip Hop

sampling vinyl may not be what gets on the charts, but its what true hip hop is made of...

Ideality is offline Warrior Member
    Thanks
    well to be honest.. this is True BS!! lol Let me Explain one tiny little fact about the Sound Quality... Your Sampling whats Already MASTERED!!!!! so it go's to show that the sound quality will be way better!... Thats my only complaint.
    :monkey:[URL="http://www.myspace.com/ideality007"]http://www.myspace.com/ideality007[/URL]:monkey:

Reason 3, Nuendo 3 w/ProteusX, Wavelab w/IzoTope and Samson USB mic Condensor. Where the magic is made :D..

[URL="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=676526"]:sing: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=676526[/URL]:sing:

Siver is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    He was right on the money when he said that you can get the warmth and sound of a MPC from software, only you have to do more work to get it. Just Blaze even mentioned that in one of those Red Bull video's when he was talking about how he switched from hardware to software. He mentioned how he was able to get the same sound that he did with his MPC, but with a bit more tweaking.

BenL is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siver
    He was right on the money when he said that you can get the warmth and sound of a MPC from software, only you have to do more work to get it. Just Blaze even mentioned that in one of those Red Bull video's when he was talking about how he switched from hardware to software. He mentioned how he was able to get the same sound that he did with his MPC, but with a bit more tweaking.
    Id rather not have to tweak my sounds on a program when it comes right out of the mpc like i want it.

to each their own...

AdVerse is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL
    Sorry have to retell the truth...

MPC + Turntable = True Hip Hop

sampling vinyl may not be what gets on the charts, but its what true hip hop is made of...
    Wow... so that Dead Presidents track by Ski is not real hip hop? Tracks done on an ASR or an SP... Not ****ing hip hop? Damn, and all this time I've been misled.

Seriously... You know nothing about hip hop. Hip hop has ALWAYS been about creatively using things to make OUR OWN style of music. Your mentality is actually holding us back. I thank God that there are innovators like Just Blaze doing new things with new tools to help our culture grow beyond current boundaries.

Because mama bought you an MPC 1000 does not make you knowledgeable about my music. Not in the least. I know of way more bona fide hits done in software than on the MPC 1000 (which is the "FL Studio" of the hardware world).

-AD
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][CENTER][B][url]www.myspace.com/avebeats[/url][/B]
    [B]Add Me![/B][/CENTER][/COLOR]

TheVariousArtist is offline Universal Soldier
    Thanks
    The first MPC came out in '92.

I agree an MPC and a turntable can make true hip-hop, but it isn't the only way... unless you're trying to say every album before 92 wasn't true hip-hop... I always kinda thought of that as the truest...

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information