Is the "Free Mixtape Album" Era Over?

Legal Dollaz

I've noticed in recent times that the amount of mixtape albums being released by established artists (major and indy) have slowed up considerably. Are we witnessing a temporary lull in the action or is the "Free Mixtape Era" over?

Advice to EVERYONE.

The music game is changing rapidly. Take advantage of the 'lazy state" it currently sits in. Make a song, not an album, not a mixtape, but a well mixed, arranged, and performed SONG. Put it on itunes, then shoot a vid for it and do everything you can to make that 1 song appear everywhere. Dump it in DJ pools, DJs don't get as many records these days, so they're more likely to play it if it's good. Get it on spotify and beg people to just play it, don't even have to buy it, enough plays and it will rotate into lists. Make it downloadable from a fileshare link so when people hear it, go to itunes, but don't wanna pay 99 cents they can still get it. You want everyone in the world to be playing this one song. Then you start doing shows where you can charge a little bit because you have a song everyone knows.

A "mixtape" has never been able to do that. Albums don't do that without the song in question appearing on them.

These days, "success" is a flash in the pan. Get that 1st, then figure out a next move, but any/everybody can have 1 hot song and reap benefits. Sounds crazy, but it's too easy to do to pass up if you want to make a career out of performing.

Same time...this info doesn't help producers much, unless you can create buzz for multiple artists recording over tracks of yours.

Advice to EVERYONE.

The music game is changing rapidly. Take advantage of the 'lazy state" it currently sits in. Make a song, not an album, not a mixtape, but a well mixed, arranged, and performed SONG. Put it on itunes, then shoot a vid for it and do everything you can to make that 1 song appear everywhere. Dump it in DJ pools, DJs don't get as many records these days, so they're more likely to play it if it's good. Get it on spotify and beg people to just play it, don't even have to buy it, enough plays and it will rotate into lists. Make it downloadable from a fileshare link so when people hear it, go to itunes, but don't wanna pay 99 cents they can still get it. You want everyone in the world to be playing this one song. Then you start doing shows where you can charge a little bit because you have a song everyone knows.

A "mixtape" has never been able to do that. Albums don't do that without the song in question appearing on them.

These days, "success" is a flash in the pan. Get that 1st, then figure out a next move, but any/everybody can have 1 hot song and reap benefits. Sounds crazy, but it's too easy to do to pass up if you want to make a career out of performing.

Same time...this info doesn't help producers much, unless you can create buzz for multiple artists recording over tracks of yours.

Speaker Knockerz (RIP) mastered this.

He has two tapes but dude went from performing at local parties to having Drake bumping his shit in the club and Meek shouting him out on Twitter off of just hot songs every few weeks/months and performing across the nation.

If he was alive he'd be the Future (2011) / Keef (2012) / Migos (2013) of 2014.

Last edited:
I've noticed in recent times that the amount of mixtape albums being released by established artists (major and indy) have slowed up considerably. Are we witnessing a temporary lull in the action or is the "Free Mixtape Era" over?

I think artists finally figured out that all this "free" music was cutting into their actual sales, which is the only thing their contract states they get paid from.

Unfortunately, they still haven't figured out that it's not about SALES, but about PLAYS.

Curren$y still droppin as many as he has n the past.....
I hope not.....
-I could care less about a j or kanye tape....
But other artist kno it helps them stay current and helps push tours along....
So to stop them doesnt seem smart....

Man I was just thinking this. I just listened to some King Los mixtape, and thought it was pretty dope. But I was also thinking about all the artists that don't drop mixtapes every 3 days like they used to. I do think it kinda diminishes your brand. There can be too much of a good thing. It's like going on a road trip and eating Wendy's every few hours. Eventually, you're going to be like damn I can't eat this shit for awhile. The same applies to free mixtape/albums. And you don't get any money off the shit. I don't know why an established artist or act would do the free mixtape hustle. Look at Eminem, Nas, The Roots, Drake, Outkast, Kanye, Nicki Minaj, Jay-z I know some of them were before the mixtape era but they still command public attention when they drop. They have a little bit of mystery to them.

Drake hasn't really put out a mixtape since So Far Gone & his price has only gone up. Whenever he puts out music, the majority of the project makes an impact, and he features on other people's songs, but not enough for oversaturation. Whereas someone like Rocko keeps putting out tapes hoping for another UOENO. I don't think Future has put out an official mixtape (solo) in a long time either but he's featured on everything

Drake hasn't really put out a mixtape since So Far Gone & his price has only gone up. Whenever he puts out music, the majority of the project makes an impact, and he features on other people's songs, but not enough for oversaturation. Whereas someone like Rocko keeps putting out tapes hoping for another UOENO. I don't think Future has put out an official mixtape (solo) in a long time either but he's featured on everything

Exactly.

people are coming with EPs and for-sale singles again, even soundcloud ... a lot of major artists are releasing singles to soundcloud

Music is heading back towards music and marketing strategies that generate revenue. The era of give it away for free and become famous is fading. Everyone can get there 15 minutes of free fame by giving something away and hoping it goes viral. Many have went viral, went throught their 15 minutes of fame, and now they are back at square one. Zero dollars coming in based off their music.

Music has always and will always be a business.

When marketed and packaged right, a single song can make you tens of thousands of dollars. If not hundreds of thousands if you catch play in commercials, film, tv and etc. This has never changed. The game is just heading back in this direction. People want to get paid for what they do. The whole "give it away" online for free era of music is fading in general.

This is a marketing mans game.

Have your music mixed and recorded very well, have you marketing and packaging materials designed at high quality. Come up with a solid marketing strategy and plan that makes sense, and you won't have to give away your music for free.

People pay for quality and value.

A free mixtape on a janky looking free download looks of no value and will always be looked at as no value.

Package your stuff up, sell it.

Those who do this better shall always be the winners. The starving artist is one who does not understand marketing.

Last edited:
Who's buying your music if they never heard of you before....
Who's paying for packaging material....

Unless your releasing somthing for free to draw people in....
No one will ever hear it....
-gotta get started somewhere (beats not included)...

Who's buying your music if they never heard of you before....
Who's paying for packaging material....

Unless your releasing somthing for free to draw people in....
No one will ever hear it....
-gotta get started somewhere (beats not included)...
There are too many outlets for your music that will ultimately lead people to an iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon page to purchase your music if utilized(putting a vid on Youtube, Spotify/podcast/ect. plays). It can also lead to revenue from people wanting to see you perform. The irony is, BEATS ARE WHAT ARE WORTHLESS THESE DAYS AND SHOULD BE GIVEN AWAY IF ANYTHING. A song from someone you've never heard of has all the potential value in the world if the song in question is good.

Last edited:
Music is heading back towards music and marketing strategies that generate revenue. The era of give it away for free and become famous is fading. Everyone can get there 15 minutes of free fame by giving something away and hoping it goes viral. Many have went viral, went throught their 15 minutes of fame, and now they are back at square one. Zero dollars coming in based off their music.

Music has always and will always be a business.

When marketed and packaged right, a single song can make you tens of thousands of dollars. If not hundreds of thousands if you catch play in commercials, film, tv and etc. This has never changed. The game is just heading back in this direction. People want to get paid for what they do. The whole "give it away" online for free era of music is fading in general.

This is a marketing mans game.

Have your music mixed and recorded very well, have you marketing and packaging materials designed at high quality. Come up with a solid marketing strategy and plan that makes sense, and you won't have to give away your music for free.

People pay for quality and value.

A free mixtape on a janky looking free download looks of no value and will always be looked at as no value.

Package your stuff up, sell it.

Those who do this better shall always be the winners. The starving artist is one who does not understand marketing.

This is very well said. The most important word that you said multiple times here is VALUE.

Back