Positive Hip-Hop

RanMC

Hello everyone,

I don't want to judge anyone but I'm just letting y'all know how I feel about nowadays mainstream music.
Most of the popular rap sounds like doing stuff with women, being a boss and spending money on stuff you don't need and smoke weed.
Some songs even include lyrics of ''Killing people''.

I think Hop-hop can do better than that, ofcourse not everyone raps bad stuff.
I want to spread as much positivity as I can trough beats and lyrics.
Thats one of the reasons why I don't curse, its kind of personal too.

How do y'all feel about positive Hip-Hop ?

#Godbless

Hello everyone,

I don't want to judge anyone but I'm just letting y'all know how I feel about nowadays mainstream music.
Most of the popular rap sounds like doing stuff with women, being a boss and spending money on stuff you don't need and smoke weed.

#Godbless
Positive hiphop is boring+dead.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

#Godbless

Once kids enter the equation, it's a whole other ballgame. I got a little one plus I'm helping raise two 11 yr old boys. I'm a positive person who listens to ignorant rappers because I find it entertaining. I'm too old to be influenced by these rappers but I feel different about impressionable kids listening to those songs. When they get 18, they can listen to whatever the want. Sometimes I cringe at the shyt on the radio. In one song, the hook says "I got white" I got white" I couldnt believe that I was hearing a song about cocaine on the radio. I recently had to explain to my 11 yr old nephew that molly's were pills. He didnt know. He just liked the song.

Last edited:
well, negative Hip-Hop have been around since the 90's.
Basically when gangsta-rap became the main thing.
Hip-Hop used to be fun in the 80's actually.

Now Hip-Hop is about stupidity or something. Everything's dumbed down.

well, negative Hip-Hop have been around since the 90's.
Basically when gangsta-rap became the main thing.
Hip-Hop used to be fun in the 80's actually.

Now Hip-Hop is about stupidity or something. Everything's dumbed down.
Ummm...actually "negative" hiphop has been around just as long as "regular" hiphop, probably predates it if we reeeeaaaaallllyyy wanna get technical and accurate about it. Gangsta rap started in the eighties, dude.
If anything, hiphop is MORE fun now than it used to be---so much diversity. I don't get how people who clearly weren't apart of the eighties wanna play revisionist history when it comes to hiphop music, as if somehow hiphop was more "purer" than it is now. Strangely all the people I see doing this aren't even from the US.

Last edited:
Ummm...actually "negative" hiphop has been around just as long as "regular" hiphop, probably predates it if we reeeeaaaaallllyyy wanna get technical and accurate about it. Gangsta rap started in the eighties, dude.
If anything, hiphop is MORE fun now than it used to be---so much diversity. I don't get how people who clearly weren't apart of the eighties wanna play revisionist history when it comes to hiphop music, as if somehow hiphop was more "purer" than it is now. Strangely all the people I see doing this aren't even from the US.

Thank you for saying it better than I would have

Hip hop from the start was the "reporter on the streets" that carried the message of what cats in different part of the country were doing, how they were living and how they dealt with it.

There is a lot of negative hip hop out there, but some off those songs that people consider negative are actually a positive message regarding the negative impacts of various situations. I don't think "positive hip hop" has to be preachy or churchy to be positive, in fact I think it can be just as raw as anything else and still put out a positive message.

I watched the vids posted and they had tight flow and beats, I wouldn't buy it myself because I purposely avoid religion as much as I can. I don't hate religion because I feel some people honestly need it in order to be a good person...I am just not one of those people. I live life with a simple rule, treat everyone I meet with the respect I expect to receive and if I don't get that same level of respect shown then I won't break bread with you period.

That is really cool and true ,
I just look at it this way, I don't necessarily have to rap about/listen to religion in rap, as long as its positive.

the sound(beats, rhyme styles, flows) used in most positive rap is stuck in April 19, 1994

Name another period in hip hop where drug use was being marketed towards kids and on mainstream radio. I dont ever recall a another time period where popping pills and coke were constantly referenced in songs on the radio. When Raekwon and Ghostface did Only Built for Cuban linx, that was viewed by some as groundbreaking shyt but that wasn't material that would get spins on the radio nor did they market it as harmless music that could be played on a radio for minors. Gangsta rap was never intended to be radio friendly nor did they market the music that way. Snoop did make "Gin and Juice" though even he didnt make radio songs glamorizing cocaine use, ectasy, codeine, MDMA etc.. And Snoopy was caught with cocaine. The same with Redman and his weed allegiance. I used drugs in the past myself but like I said earlier, when you have kids you look at things differently.

Last edited:
Name another period in hip hop where drug use was being marketed towards kids and on mainstream radio. I dont ever recall a another time period where popping pills and coke were constantly referenced in songs on the radio. When Raekwon and Ghostface did Only Built for Cuban linx, that was viewed by some as groundbreaking shyt but that wasn't material that would get spins on the radio nor did they market it as harmless music that could be played on a radio for minors. Gangsta rap was never intended to be radio friendly nor did they market the music that way.

Dre and Snoop changed that with The Chronic and Doggystyle both getting airplay and both heavily reference use of weed and in heavy radio rotation. There have been lots of songs in various styles of music beginning in the teens and 20's that reference drugs either blatantly or through sly usage of slang terms. Blues is flooded with references to weed and heroin heavily.

Dre and Snoop changed that with The Chronic and Doggystyle both getting airplay and both heavily reference use of weed and in heavy radio rotation. There have been lots of songs in various styles of music beginning in the teens and 20's that reference drugs either blatantly or through sly usage of slang terms. Blues is flooded with references to weed and heroin heavily.

exactly. We can't go acting like these things are new in the music played on radio. The radio still plays music about sex and drugs. Only the drugs have changed. But truthfully I've been having the drug game, violence and sex rapped to me since Biggie was still alive. So I'm not gonna act like it's a brand new invention that has just appeared. We got a trend that's been going on for almost 20 years now.

The key is Blues target audience were adults as well as Jazz. They werent making songs for kids to buy writing lyrics and hooks promoting the drug use. Drug use has always been rampant among musicians from all genres. Rap today is the first time minors were targeted with hard drug references. Weed is American like apple pie. I'm talking about the hard stuff. Rappers of the past had drug problems like everyone else but you wouldnt find them making songs encouraging the use because they had morals and children to answer to. Crack was big in the 80's. Some rappers fell victim to that as well as coke. If they made a song, it usually had a message to combat the problem not intensify it. MC Shan became a crack head and DMX. Did they make songs glamorizing it? That's the difference. A big difference in mindset and responsibility.

Last edited:
The key is Blues target audience were adults as well as Jazz. They werent making songs for kids to buy writing lyrics and hooks promoting the drug use. Drug use has always been rampant among musicians from all genres. Rap today is the first genre to specifically target minors with it's drug references.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.....better read up on the music of the late 50's through the 70's and their use of both drug references as well as sexual imagery.

As for Jazz and Blues being targeted to an older audience...at one point both those forms of music were the pop music of choice by the younger market. To say it was targeted to an older audience is revisionism at it's worst.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.....better read up on the music of the late 50's through the 70's and their use of both drug references as well as sexual imagery.

As for Jazz and Blues being targeted to an older audience...at one point both those forms of music were the pop music of choice by the younger market. To say it was targeted to an older audience is revisionism at it's worst.

How did those minors get in the clubs to see the Jazz Musicians? It's not like those Jazz Musicians all had recording contracts to be heard on the radio. Theiir target audience was the young 20's unlike Rap that targets teenyboppers.

How did those minors get in the clubs to see the Jazz Musicians? It's not like those Jazz Musicians all had recording contracts to be heard on the radio. Theiir target audience was the young 20's unlike Rap that targets teenyboppers.

How did you get ahold of music when you were a kid? Your brother/sister/mother/father/aunt/uncle/neighbor whoever listened to it and bought the records which you in turn listened to.

In no way does music become exclusive to just club play at any point in music history during the recorded era.

How did you get ahold of music when you were a kid? Your brother/sister/mother/father/aunt/uncle/neighbor whoever listened to it and bought the records which you in turn listened to.

In no way does music become exclusive to just club play at any point in music history during the recorded era.

Most of the Black Jazz musicians didnt have recording contracts so there wasnt a plethora of songs to play on the radio. Their bread and butter came from performing at nightclubs which a minor couldnt attend.

Most of the Black Jazz musicians didnt have recording contracts so there wasnt a plethora of songs to play on the radio. Their bread and butter came from performing at nightclubs which a minor couldnt attend.

because they were very strict about carding teens at clubs in the 1920's....

Back