The Reason You Don't Like new HipHop Is Because You're Old

Beat Off

Ice Cube said something recently at a show that I couldn't agree with more. He was saying why are all these new niggas accepting wack hiphop then when you criticize it you're called old and out of touch. He said Nas, Him(NWA), Jay Z, Biggie , Pac etc were all teenagers and early 20s when they started and their music was dope then and is considered classic now. Older and younger HipHop cats loved the music regardless of age. Now it seems that if you're over 25 you're old and out of touch and are a hater if you complain about the trash that's being put out. I've seen that on here too, people saying, oh you're just old and bitter boom bap is over etc etc.

What you think?

I am over 25 and I think today's rap is way more entertaining than yesteryear's rap music. There were some great songs from the past that I listen to every now and then. But I don't want to hear those old rappers trying to fit in with today's sound.

I like the faster pace and original melodies of today's music. There is something about rapids hi hats, 808 bass drums, synthetic snares, and gritty synthesizer melodies that I enjoy more than the music of the 90s or even 2000s. I don't really like the old southern rap from the No Limit/Cash Money era. Southern rap was wack to me until Lil Jon came through.

Anyway, I am old and I like the new music better.

But I don't want to hear those old rappers trying to fit in with today's sound.

Old as in age or old as in already had their run in the game and they're still trying to keep pace?

For example Rick Ross and Juvenile are about the same age pushing 40 but yet I rarely hear anyone refer to Ross as a "old man trying to fit into today's sound" but they would surely say that about Juvenile if he dropped a new single that sounds like it could be on Ace Hood's next album

And speaking of "being old" lets take a look at the ages (off by a few years, industry standard lol) of some of the currently highest selling artists:

Kanye West - 36
Jay Z - 43
Lil Wayne - 30
Nicki Minaj - 30
Rick Ross - 38
Eminem - 40
Nas - 39
2 Chainz - 35
Young Jeezy - 35
T.I. - 32

Old heads up in here, up in here...

Last edited:
Problem is, there's no variety. Back in those artists days, it was a cardinal sin to sound like anyone else. In fact, every artist tried their best to be DIFFERENT from everyone else.

But now? Everybody's clamoring to be THE SAME.

It's not that all hip hop that's coming out now is bad. It's just all THE SAME.

I am over 25 and I think today's rap is way more entertaining than yesteryear's rap music. There were some great songs from the past that I listen to every now and then. But I don't want to hear those old rappers trying to fit in with today's sound.
[...]

Anyway, I am old and I like the new music better.

Sorry but I think you missed Ice Cube's point...

Actually Troop I believe there is a decent amount of variety in today's mainstream hip hop but the difference is BITING is not only allowed but is worn as a badge of honor compared to back in the days when it was completely vilified for the purpose of keeping Hip Hop fresh and original.

Yep, there was a term called "BITING" back in the day and you did not want it attached to your name.

There was more of a regional sound amongst the artists so there was more variety. Now when one producer makes a hot song, everybody gets a beat from him so everything sounds the same. Also with that availability of the internet and cheap recording software, people are dropping tons of music that has no substance. I think I heard Bishop Lamont say that Dr. Dre would have people listen to like 100 songs and he'd pick the top 15 out those 100 and that's what got put on the albums.

Personally, being called old doesn't bother me.... I'm that "cool" kind of old, lol. I always strived to look and dress my age (sometimes I don't act it but hey... nobody's perfect). You won't see me saggin', I don't wear earrings anymore, I don't use much "new" slang, etc.

I do like some of the next music but all of the Gucci's, Waka's and people that seem to just put something out because they had a hot song doesn't really do it for me.

I think Drake is consistent.

Last edited:
My Two Cents

My man made a great point when he listed the ages of the top selling rappers. I am 32 years old and I am not a Rick Ross nor a 2 Chainz fan but at the same time I am not so close minded that I think everything has to be boom bap either. I actually think Macklemore is more talented than Rick Ross and 2 Chainz frankly and he is younger then I am so I really don't think it has anything to do with age. Music is art and is purely about personal taste. Some people think Jay-z is one of the best to ever do it and others think he is wack. It is all a matter of opinion because we had wack artists in our era too. MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice anyone? lol Thought I don't know if Wayne could pack a stadium tour like Hammer did? I'm just saying! lol

Macklemore is definitely a talented rapper to me. He has his own lane. Plus he is independent. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are innovators. I hope they have a good 7 year run before they "fall off". They provide a fresh alternative but also have a familiar vibe that resonates with me.

The guy who sounds like Nate Dogg on 'Thrift Shop' is named Wanz. He is a 51 year old former drug addict and rock star that is singing the hook to a hot radio pop song. That is sweet!

I'm an old head, but I be digging young cats. I'm just too old for ignorant bs, I'm passed that stage. But I can appreciate young dudes like Earl

Mainstream won't support another conscious group. They treat music as something to unwind to, not something that will inspire, shed light or anything else.

They said they play the same songs because people are in their cars at different times and they want to hear their favorite songs when they drive... sucks if you have a long drive because you'll hear Bruno Mars 3 x's before you get to where you're going.

Bruno is a real artist, just overplayed up here in the NW.

Ice old. He don't get to make the call on how young people think.

Let me take you to my world....

If a dude spits substance, be it a song or just some talk within a group of people. It gets looked down upon.

Preaching today, is a sin.

Dudes be like..stop complaining...be grateful...everything alright.

People react to challenging the status quo like to a giant spider...back off from dude...he on crack...we need to be in line, we need to fit in.

Because for kids, social death is the worst thing in the world, a culture revolving around cowardly ignorance builds and it further contributes to the slavish imprisonment of humanity.

If aliens ever come here and find that 7 BILLION people let themselves be enslaved by a few hundred in charge I will be very ashamed for my species.

I wonder how it will be in the future. In many years, Waka Flocka, Rick Ross and Future will be like "2025 music suck. Back in 2007 - 2015, those were the days!"

Last edited:
My bigger gripe with Hip Hop nowadays is not so much the variety but its the lack of meaningful content

This.

I had a long rant..........stuff about rappers sounding like cartoon frog characters today.....nah.......forget it.........

But I do like to visualize actual human beings when I hear them rap. Or atleast some kind of bad ass of a cartoon character. Like Master P wasn't a lyricist or nothing....but when he rapped.....I visualized a gangsta ass alligator with big ass gold chainz on and a jump suit... that don't take no shit. UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH!!!! Now I visualize Barbie dolls and rugats and cute little froggies and shit........talking about what they gone do to me.....I don't want no problems.....no new friends and shit......dude got a baby blue and platinum desert eagle with yolo spelled in diamonds........got a cute little iphone 5 case with gucci and diamonds and jewels all on it....talking about I don't want no problems. That's a messed up way to go to prison.....getting caught with a cute ass Gucci Desert Eagle......messed up way to be in an altercation....putting a Jolly Ranchers Desert Eagle to somebody head......

Just saying.....

forget it.

i'm 26 and i think the lyrics are kinda dumb and all the same but i love the beats these days so i probably listen to more new shit than old at this point.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

\
I like the faster pace and original melodies of today's music. There is something about rapids hi hats, 808 bass drums, synthetic snares, and gritty synthesizer melodies that I enjoy more than the music of the 90s or even 2000s. I don't really like the old southern rap from the No Limit/Cash Money era. Southern rap was wack to me until Lil Jon came through.
\

i agree about early cash money/no limit being wack other than some singles, i love old hypnotize minds though, they peaked around 98-03 IMO . new juicy j stuff is dope too.

Back